Author Topic: 6mm tcu  (Read 738 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
6mm tcu
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:44:31 AM »
is it hard to reload do you need to fireform is it a good shooter im starting to get in itch for in oncore /conter barrel just to put holes in paper with and i think i got bit with the reloading bug to
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 6mm tcu
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
You make the cases out of 223's. It is a 223 shooting 6mm bullets. When forming brass, I always suggest to start with virgin brass, but you can always anneal with once fired brass (military). Just make sure you are using the same head stamp for your whole batch. You run the 223 brass into a 6 TCU die and it will expand the neck. It expands it from .223 or so to .242 or so; so it is not expanding a bunch. Then load them up for development. Start low and work your way up. I personally would not bother with fire forming, they should headpace OK right off the bat, if not, then you will need to adjust your dies to fit your chamber. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
Another name for the 6TCU 6x45.  If you going to use a  FL to open the necks up make sure you lube inside of the necks real good and as LaOtto222 said just load don't worry about fireforming.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
It along with the 7-30 Waters are my two favorite rounds for the Contender. It's really as easy as loading .223 as there are no extra steps. I do agree ya need to get some lube inside the case mouth. I do that normally anyway using RCBS spray lube so it's not even an extra step to me.

I've never bothered to anneal even once fired brass for this one and can't say I recall ever losing one to a split as a result tho I do agree virgin brass is best but don't shy away from once fired brass for it. I also don't bother with fire forming and just go directly to load development and have never seen a difference in performance between the first firing and later firings as the change is so minor.

You'll love the round it's one of the most accurate, heck I guess really the most accurate of all the many TC barrels I've owned.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:05:48 AM »
i think this made my list of barrels i wont one more when hunt out in S.D  maybe 6mm or 7mm08               
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150