Author Topic: Compact Rifle Scope for Handi  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Compact Rifle Scope for Handi
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »
Guys

I am thinking about the usefulness of keeping my new Handi as a spot and stalk rifle instead of a blind rifle only. I am considering A Barska Compact Contour 3-9x42mm scope with Illuminated Reticles. It is only 9.13 inches long and has a 4 inch eye relief. I figure the short length will help with the hammer problem the Handi is known for and the eye relief will be nice for more forward mounting.
Here is a link to it: http://www.barska.com/ac10552.html

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Daman

Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Compact Rifle Scope for Handi
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »
It won't work to allow the hammer to clear that huge ocular bell unless you use high or extra high rings without modifying the hammer, it's probably too long to mount ahead of the hammer even if you had an Ultra rail which is no longer made, the rear ring has limited positioning space.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »
It comes with xtra high rings.

Tim
In your opinion is this decent or should I go ahead and spend more money on a scope. I have a limited budget so nothing too extreme. I prefer at least a 40mm objective.

Thanks
Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
Some members love Barska scopes, I think their 2.5x20 Contour would satisfy your requiements, but if you can swing about $100, the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope is probably a much better choice.  ;)

Tim

http://swfa.com/Barska-25x20-Contour-Rifle-Scope-P7027.aspx

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=001256308B

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »
Thanks Tim. I might go with the Nikon, but I am still infatuated with the looks of that short Barska! I know looks aren't what you are going for necessarily in a easy toting brush gun, but I think it would look great. The short <10 inch scopes have always pulled to me but I have never owned one. Thanks again.

Any of you other guys,
I would love to hear more opinions.

Daman

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »
but if you can swing about $100, the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 shotgun scope is probably a much better choice.  ;)

Tim

I completely agree
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »
 I have to say that for $150 bucks, there is FAR better scopes you could buy. The quality of glass, field of view and overall quality of this scope leave much to be desired. At the very least, put it in your hands and look thru it first, I think if you do you will agree.

Many guys here, buy these Nikon's and LOVE them. Getting one will save you $50 and allot of  aggravation and hassles!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »
I have to say that for $150 bucks, there is FAR better scopes you could buy. The quality of glass, field of view and overall quality of this scope leave much to be desired. At the very least, put it in your hands and look thru it first, I think if you do you will agree.

Many guys here, buy these Nikon's and LOVE them. Getting one will save you $50 and allot of  aggravation and hassles!!!

CW

I agree. I like Leupold scopes better than Nikon, but that's just a personal preference. Watch the sales and you can find a Leupold for 150.00 or go for the Prtostaff.

A lighted crosshair isn't much of a plus in my opinion (Which is frequently challanged ;D) but I sure wouldn't trade quality glass for one.

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
I've got the Leupold 2.5x20 w/wide duplex reticle and it's about perfect on my .44mag handi.

It's only 8.2" long, super light, and has very long and forgiving eye relief.

Not to mention the great glass.

However, when it was mounted on my SPR18 I did pass on a 300 yard shot at a doe because I didn't feel it gave me enough magnification for a safe shot at that distance.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »
that  4 inch  eye releif  wont  help
that  scope  is  so short  it  will  need  to be  mounted  too  far  foward
unless  you are  a stock  crawler

nikon prostaff

try  a red  dot
no eye releif  concerns
great in  low light
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
Personally I can't see putting a $50.00 saddle on a $10.00 horse.  That's why I usually stay under $150.00 for a scope.  Closer to $100.00 most of the time.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »
I am just putting it out there IMHO, I like a short scope as well, but personally for a compact I need a LIGHT scope... this starts to limit the crop. And Leupold, Burris ShortMags, and some Weaver Classic V seem to be among the lightest that I trust, emphesis on LIGHT.

-Aaron

Offline valvesinmyhead

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
I use one of these for shooting CB Longs. Really clear with AO. The only Barska I ever owned went back. It was like looking into a fish bowl.

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=44218&categoryId=

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
Here's another one, they have em on close out again for $80, the Weaver 4x32 Shotgun scope, 9.5" long, 8.7oz, made in Japan, will mount in low rings with a little hammer trimming.  ;)

Tim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849421

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
Here's a nice scope that will fit your handi well.  Weaver classic v9  38mm objective 3-9 power, slim contour, $150.00
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE849402&prodTitle=WE%20SCP%203-9X38%20BL%20MATTE%20V9%20DUPLEX

I actually like the v7 which is a 2.5-7x32.  Fits like a glove, excellent optics.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »
The V7 is a nice little scope too, 9.75oz and 11.5" long, but will cost around $150-$170,  got one on my 35 Remington Handi  ;)

Tim

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 06:15:41 PM »
I've used different model Barska Scopes on everything from .22LR to 30-06 to 20 gauge, and i've never had a problem with them failing, the clarity in low light is not as good as a nikon or leupold, but in normal daylight conditions its hard to notice a difference. give em a try
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »
I have a 3-9 x 50 pro staff on my 444 and absolutely love it! I have no interference with the hammer...
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
Swampman, your reply about the 50 dollar saddle on a 10 dollar horse makes me think of a friend at work that has a $1600 swarovski on his 45/70 handi. Its just funny to me. :D
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 11:46:15 PM »
I can't imagine putting a scope like that on an inexpensive rifle.  There are tons of great scopes for a little over $100.00.

Offline zookiezoom

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
I have the Bushnell 1.5-4.5X32 Banner on my 30-30. I find the lower power best for seeing through all the trees here and don't need over 4.5 with a 30-30 anyway.
Life is a food chain; if your not on top, your on the menu.

Offline bkraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 02:45:51 AM »
OK, I'm confused, help me out here. You guys are are putting shot gun scopes on center fire rifles, that I understand, but what about paralax issues, or aren't there any? I have a shotgun scope on a .22 but it as a 50 yd. paralax. Are these scopes paralax free?
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 03:08:09 AM »
The Nikon it will be! I already have one Prostaff on a 30-06 so I know they are good. Just wanted some opinions thanks!

Daman

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:48 AM »
I have the same question as BKraft, and others:

1.) "You guys are are putting shot gun scopes on center fire rifles, that I understand, but what about paralax issues, or aren't there any? I have a shotgun scope on a .22 but it as a 50 yd. paralax. Are these scopes paralax free?

2.) That Nikon is listed in the Rifle section with 'Shotgun' in the description.  Is it really a shotgun scope?

3.) Which would you choose for a .50 cal muzzle loader and a 45-70; the refurbed Nikon or the new Weaver fixed power???

Thanks!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
The Weaver 4x32 is parallax free at 100yds, most shotgun scopes are set at 75yds like the Nikon, but for a hunting rifle it makes no difference, the error is too small to worry about, just as shooting at 300yds doesn't make a difference on a scope that's parallax free at 100yds. The group below was shot at 100yds with the Nikon 2-7x32 on my 30-30AI Handi.  ;) Either scope would be fine, eye relief on the Nikon is a bit more generous at 3.9-3.8" vs the 3.5" for the Weaver, I have the Nikon on my 500S&W Handi if you're concerned about recoil with hotter loads, but both are shotgun scopes, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Tim

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:32 AM »
+1 on ALL the Scheels name brand scopes.They have several models.

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=44218&categoryId=

For those un-familar, Scheels is sporting goods dealer in a 5-6 state upper midwest region.(wesite has a map) Their scopes are made by the same folks that make Nikon. The rear objective houseing is smaller than Nikon, much like the Luepold allowing lower rings to be used to clear the hammer.
Best yet is a LIFETIME OVER THE COUNTER EXCHANGE ! And that's on the scope,,not the buyer of the scope,,No reciept needed. I could give or sell the scope to anyone, and that person could walk in and get the scope replaced right at the store, hassle free. And they are priced 50-150 lower than a comparable Nikon or Luepold. I look for these at gun shows but have only found 1 in all the years of looking,,these are never found on e-bay,

As far as putting a high $ scope on and inexpensive gun? cost of the scope should be about the cost of the gun or >, after all the tweeking we can do,,being able to SEE the X on a target, repeatably IS a big deal.
 Heck, if you get a cheap scope the first thing they have is really wide crosshairs! How can ya get 1/2" groups if the crosshairs cover 2" at 100.
found elsewhere

Offline bkraft

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:34 AM »
Tim, Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a compact scope to mount on a Rem 799 in .22 hornet. Most of my shots are inside 125 yds. I'm giving that weaver and the Nikons a very serious look. Thanks again.
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »

1.) "You guys are are putting shot gun scopes on center fire rifles, that I understand, but what about paralax issues, or aren't there any? I have a shotgun scope on a .22 but it as a 50 yd. paralax. Are these scopes paralax free?

2.) That Nikon is listed in the Rifle section with 'Shotgun' in the description.  Is it really a shotgun scope?

3.) Which would you choose for a .50 cal muzzle loader and a 45-70; the refurbed Nikon or the new Weaver fixed power???

Thanks!!!

I'd choose a brand new Nikon shipped to your door for $109.00.  I have them on rifles & a muzzleloader.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:22 AM »
Quote from: Stuart C. link=topic=194544.msg 1098987384#msg 1098987384 date=1262701608

2.) That Nikon is listed in the Rifle section with 'Shotgun' in the description.  Is it really a shotgun scope?

3.) Which would you choose for a .50 cal muzzle loader and a 45-70; the refurb Nikon or the new Weaver fixed power???

Thanks!!!

Tim pretty much answered the questions, but I'll answer again "by the numbers".

1) No scopes or optical instrument is truly paralax free. the A.O. scope can allow you to set the paralax for the yardage you are shooting at. Also paralax only tends to be an issue @ less than its setting. IE many center-fire scopes have the paralax set for somewhere between 100-200 yards. Many of our handis and most firearms for this matter are utilized at less than 100 yards. So a "shotgun" scope w a 75 Yard paralax is just rite. (BTW, rim-fire scopes generally have the paralax set for 50 yards.)

2) Again, many companies, including NIKON offer a shotgun scope. This means different things to different manufacturers. But the commonalities are 75yard paralax and a heavy or bold reticule, with a little better eye relief.

3) Either will serve you very well, I would buy a LEUPOLD!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Bayou Stalker

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Tim and CW are like E.F. Hutton...  When they talk, I listen...
Kendall