Author Topic: Bullet question? Fail safe(combined technology)  (Read 515 times)

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Bullet question? Fail safe(combined technology)
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
I purchased some of these from uncle that is giving up reloading.  They are combined technology(nosler-winchester), gray in color hollowpoints.  My question is..I am not that familiar with these.   From the price tag, they were expensive.  $35 for 50.  Anybody used them or like them for deer sized game?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Bullet question? Fail safe(combined technology)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
I've killed several elk and deer with 180gr .308 Winchester factory ammo, they worked great. Did a little test comparison into sand at 50yds one time, 180gr Partition lost all of the front, the Failsafe weighed 178gr and didn't appear to loose any part of it, but I have no idea what it weighed to begin with. Needless to say they were excellent premium bullets, but expensive to mfr. The Win XP3 is similar in construction without a steel insert and a poly tip added.

Tim

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BulletSelect.aspx

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/20096384333-anatomy_bullet_test.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
They were just overly complicated to make thus expensive and some times some lots gave poor accuracy due to the complicated nature of the bullet. Add in the way they buldged at the rear and on rare occasions the core might slip out and they just kinda lost favor. I've never used them but as Tim said for the most part they had a good reputation other than the rare lot that weren't accurate or the very early lots that buldged too much at the base. Even that to me was never a big deal other than cosmetically for photos after the kill. Heck I suspect most exited anyway so didn't hang around to get their photo made.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Thanks gentleman.  I am gonna load some up and try them.