Author Topic: Question for you Shorty lovers.  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Question for you Shorty lovers.
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
I have a 20 gauge Handi with a 26 inch (?) barrel.  I would really like to shorten it but what about losing the choke?  What differences can I expect?  Will I loss some range for hunting?

Thanks guys.

Cat

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Question for you Shorty lovers.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
After you shorten the barrel you will be left with essentially cylinder choke. this will only provide you with a decent pattern to about 20 - 25 yards maximum. If you want the ability to maintain decent shot patterns at longer ranges you could always look into having your shortened barrel threaded for choke tubes. that is all dependant on the barrel wall thickness at the point it is cut down too, some barrels do not have enough thickness to be threaded for choke tubes. They use to make external choke tubes so that would be an option for you if the barrel is not thick enough for standard chokes.

Adam.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
With Shot-Yes...with Slugs...IMHO.. No
Adam makes a good recomendation too if you are in between choices.

-Aaron

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
i  have  a nine inch  12 ga

shoots  buck  shot ok
bird  shot  is  real  open
it  was  already  cut  to  18  with  no  choke
but  the  buck  shot  pattern  tightened  slightly  at  9  inches

slugs  are  good
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:36 PM »
Man I hope that thing is a regestered pistol not an H&R with a 9" barrel  :o

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »
Man I hope that thing is a regestered pistol not an H&R with a 9" barrel  :o

o/u

and  yes  it  registered
$200  permission  slip  from   ATF  to  chop  it
even  if i were  dumb enough  to  talk about  it  with out  papers
read  my signature

i  have  been  thinking  of registering  a handi  frame
with  multible barrels
and  have  some  more  shorties
frame and $200  and  add  any  barrel  i want

this  thread  is  for  ''shorty lovers''
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:57:59 AM »
wow  that 9incher must be a fun fireball to trip off ??  hang on to your socks man!! ;D

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
Cylinder bore is perfect for rabbits, and grouse in thick woods.

They make a 22" barrel with choke tubes, just send in your frame to get fitted.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:41:18 AM »
 I've looked at New England's barrel program page, unless I've overlooked them, the only screw choke barrels they say they have are 28".  If I could find  screw choked 22", I'd buy one myself.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, your responses are being very helpful.

Cat

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
Catshooter,

To answer your question you will lose the range of your gun that you are use to. Your Pardner has the Modified or Full fixed chokes. (It’s marked of the top of the barrel) These chokes constrict/squeeze the shot column to a smaller diameter to hold the pattern tighter for longer rangers.  This is why the shotgun and ammo manufactures recommend the use of a full choke for small game to be harvested at 35-45 yards and 25-35 yards for the modified choke.  Your range for a cylinder bore IMHO would be at the maximum 20 yards with standard store bought field/game loads. You may be able to increase this to 27-30 yards with a premium 3” copper plated buffer load, but you cost will go up for these shotgun shells.

What I have done for my Shorty is to purchase the Young Model Pardner Model# SB1-25C (Now called the Compact) with the screw in chokes. I added a Walnut TDC (Topper Deluxe Classic) rear stock and a Walnut TJC (Topper Junior Classic) forearm. The Modified choke comes with the gun and the threads for this style are any that were made for the 20 gauge Winchester/Browning or Mossberg shotguns, so there are a lot of the different size chokes tubes out there for cheap.

I have included a good read about chokes from Tru-lock Chokes and the link to the H&R 1871 site with the info for the Compact.

A link about chokes: http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?page=basic_choke_info.htm&cart_id=2358679.67612

Link to the Screw in Choke Compact Pardner:
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerScrewIn.asp

I mainly use my Lil’ Shorty to rabbit hunt behind Beagles. My shots are close. 5-10 yards most of the time and 20 yards is a long one for me. I have a cylinder choke and an Improved Cylinder (IC) choke I use. I reload to the standard 7/8 oz. Field/Game load, but I use magnum shot which is a harder shot. Good Luck and I hope I have helped!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
I've looked at New England's barrel program page, unless I've overlooked them, the only screw choke barrels they say they have are 28".  If I could find  screw choked 22", I'd buy one myself.

You're right, I assumed they offered the barrel from the "compact" Pardner 20ga on the accessory page. They do not.
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:18 AM »
The world of shotguns is new to me, so all the responses are very helpful.  Thanks.  One of my very good friends is a gunsmith of world class caliber, so I think I'll talk to him about it.  Cutting it to 20 or 22 inches and installing a screw in choke may be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Cat

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
The world of shotguns is new to me, so all the responses are very helpful.  Thanks.  One of my very good friends is a gunsmith of world class caliber, so I think I'll talk to him about it.  Cutting it to 20 or 22 inches and installing a screw in choke may be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Cat

Thats what i would do as well,   gives you lots of versatility

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »
My shorties are either a deer hunting firearm or a camp defensive gun. If I shoot it with bird shot, it will be close. Mostly its a buckshot/slugs gun and the cylinder bore works rite nicely for this.

But YES you are correct, all choke will be gone and you will be left with a close range skater gun.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
IIRC H&R offers a 24" 12 gauge "Turkey" barrel with screw in chokes. I have one but mine has been drilled and tapped and now wears a H&R scope rail and a shotgun scope. It previously had a Red Dot on it which worked great as well. It is great for turkey and deer....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Yak Angler

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
That 24" turkey barrel would probably be just the ticket, the nice thing about H&R firearms is you don't have any extra length due to the action so 24" barreled guns would be plenty short and you get the option of chokes with that model. Its probably shorter overall length then my 870 pump with 20" barrel which is as short as i would want to go for a hunting shotgun anyway.

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:30 PM »
A Topper or Pardner shotgun with an 18 1/2" bbl. makes a wonderfully "handi", well-proportioned weapon. It looks great; feels great too. Mine is in 12 gauge and I would not part with it. In fact, I want another one. I do expect I'll get choke tubes installed on the next one....there is plenty of beef in the barrel when it's cut that short.