Author Topic: Armalite AR-15 (or other AR's) vs Ruger Mini-14 target synthetic...  (Read 683 times)

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
Concerning the 223 calibers...

The ruger mini-14 has tremendous reliability, but we all know the ar has a reputation for much superior accuracy. Is the Mini-14 TARGET w/ synthetic able to compare to the AR's accuracy, yet maintain the reliability the mini is famous for?
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Armalite AR-15 (or other AR's) vs Ruger Mini-14 target synthetic...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:34:53 AM »
Yes, no, kinda, maybe?

That's the funny thing with a mini. No consistency. The problem is with no rhyme or reason some will shoot good, some will not. Some will go through 1000 rounds without cleaning some will lock up at 100. It is kind of like buying a pig in a polk. Mine shot very well. The accuracy suprised me, as quite a few minis are dogs. 200 rounds into the rifle and the gas cylinder locks up. This was ball ammo, not dirty stuff.

So with my experience I had a shooter that was not reliable. A buddy has one that is terrible with accuracy, but will run all day long. That is pretty well what you get with a mini. Folks love them or hate them for this reason. I sent mine back then sold it. My buddy has sent his back 3 times and has his down to a hair over 3" with ball ammo. It started out at 5". His was the target model as well, just not hogue stock. Mine would do 2" there abouts with ball and usually about 1.25" or so with reloads.

If you are not an AR fan these are pretty good rifles. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/rifles/fal%2C-hk%2C-cetme-clones/p/century-c93-sporter-5-56-223%2C-h-k-93-style-clone-/cPath/209_432/products_id/3447

I am not aware of any semi auto .223 more accurate than a free floated AR though.
Molon labe

Offline Lee Robinson

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Well, honestly, I am asking this question too late, but nothing wrong with discussing things (although it would have certainly been wiser to discuss expections prior to a purchase).

I have 2 mini-14s. One "spray and prey" model that I just have iron sights on and I would guess it gets about 3 inch groups but I really don't know for certain, nor do I really care as it is very reliable and I have it as a "combat" weapon. I also have a min-14 target with the scope on it, but I have a lot more testing to do with it...including working up the best loads for my "combat" mini and then seeing if I can dial this load into my target model. And, I also want to test this load in my friend's ARs to see how well they do there. I haven't had the target version mini long. I have been thinking that if I can get MOA accuracy out of it, I will keep it. But, if I can't I might sell it and get an AR.
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
Every accuracy thread I've seen on a mini seems to go the route of a bigger bullet. I honestly don't know why. The guys in the know will ask if you tried 60's yet. I have seen reports of a lot of the 3-4" guns shrinking a bit with this advise. Good luck on your two. Hope you get reliability and accuracy in both of them. I honestly like the looks of a mini much better than the ARs. Just don't want to keep on buying them looking for the right one and loosing a little on each transaction.
Molon labe