Author Topic: Best all Around deer rifle?  (Read 9270 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best all Around deer rifle?
« on: October 28, 2003, 12:42:51 PM »
What would you say the best all-around deer rifle is?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Myk

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 02:00:28 PM »
Deer hunting and habitat is so varied I don't believe there would be a best all around rifle.
If you're over a bean field in the south a heavy barreled Sendero would be great. But that would do you little good in the eastern hills where a lever action would probably be best. The lever action sure wouldn't give you the distance you needed in the plains and you wouldn't want to hump a 13lb rifle all day.

If I had to pick one rifle for the whole continent it would be a regular weight bolt action. But I don't think that would be the best for everywhere.  
But here I am stuck in Illinois where the only deer rifle is a shotgun. So if best included legal, it would have to be a shotgun so you could hunt in every state.

As for rifle brands I like Winchesters.

Caliber would be easier. 30-06, because it's available everywhere and can handle all sizes of deer with the wide variety of factory loads.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 03:35:38 PM »
Well, Hmmmmm......  everything between a 243 and a 7mm Rem.   :)

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 02:52:27 AM »
30-06. It can do anything you ask of it on this continent and ammo can be picked up anywhere. I would also add in 270 and 7Mag for the same reasons, but I would still pick the 30-06 as the rifle to own if you only could have one.  As far as brands, pick what you like. I would probably pick a Remington for the same reason I picked the 30-06. It is common and you can get parts/accessories anywhere, but would also consider any of the other major manufacturers.  But what do I own? Pretty much none of the above. I shoot a Weatherby in 7 Rem Mag and a Browning in 25-06 not to mention my contender. So long story short (too late), get what you like and can shoot. That is the best gun.

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 03:10:10 AM »
I'm with the rest, I think in the right circumstances u could use anything from 00 buck to the 300 Winchester Mag.
I like mine short and they are good out to two hundred yds, maybe further I've just not shot it on paper any further than that. 600-660 Rem. 308 and recently a 7MM 08 in a model 7 that I'm going to try this year. If it drops deer as quick as the 308 I will probably stay with it for the nylon camo stock.

Offline markc

I think
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 03:19:54 AM »
Rem 700 action, in 30-06.
markc
markc

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 04:30:38 AM »
Most likely the best all around deer rifle would be a 270 Winchester as it has fairly light recoil and is flat shooting.  :-D
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 05:56:45 AM »
I like my Browning lever action in 7mm-08. I love lever actions and I get the benefits of a great caliber such as the 7mm-08. Short range...long range, works great. Recoil is only moderate and the rifle handles easily.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 06:19:34 AM »
It would probably be a toss-up between the Browning BLR (short action) and the Remington 7600.  Both of these rifles are more accurate than necessary for any reasonable hunting situation, plus they are blessed with a great "feel", are well balanced, fast to the shoulder, are available in several excellent "middle" cartridges and have actions that permit a fast follow-up shot when the circumstances require.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 07:19:24 AM »
My Remington Model 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in 7-08.  :eek:

I started using the 7-08 shortly after Remington brought out the Model 7 in it. That old rifle is now Mrs. GB's deer rifle with the stock cut to fit her. I've told this before but will tell it again here. The day I sighted it in a squirrel just kept barking over on the side of the range the whole time I was shooting. When the sighting in was over I fired a shot and the squirrel dropped. Range was maybe 80 yards. The rifle had only been shooting 1.5"-2"+ groups but hit that squirrel. To this day that rifle has never missed when fired on fur and never required a second shot. It has been used by me, my oldest son Bobby and now Faye and the record still stands. It has been used on game from that squirrel to deer to exotics to hogs and even a feral goat that came by me once while I was sitting in a treestand in Bama many miles from the nearest house.

I replaced it with another model 7, this one SS metal and plastic stock and then replaced it with my current R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle both in 7-08. To date I've still never missed or needed a second shot on any game fired at with the 7-08 round. My current favorite load is the Hornady Light Mag with 139 grain SP bullet. It will be with me this fall on most of my hunts with rifle.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 07:41:18 AM »
For me I'd have to say a Rem M760/7600 in 30-06. I had a 760 which my son now has. Nothing mounts and swings like one for me. I don't use a bipod and would get it in 30-06. If they were available in 7mm08 or 7mm Mauser that would be about perfect fo me. A 1.5x6 scope would top it off. 300 yards is my max range so I wouldn't need a magnum or spotting scope on it.  :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 09:30:29 AM »
Mine would be the Remington M760 in 30-06 that I bought off of Dave in WV. :lol:

Offline 7x57

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 01:11:20 PM »
How could you go wrong with the father of the 30/06, 257, 270, 6mm rem,and many more. The 7x57 is the only rifle to carry for the one gun hunter... but who can stop there!
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline savageT

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 01:39:31 PM »
Gentlemen, Gentlemen,
How soon they forget!  My favorite deer rifle and cartridge is the Savage 99 (you pick the model) in .300 Savage.....just about perfect in my humble opinion.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Hound_Dog55

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 01:01:14 AM »
Bolt action 30-06.

Offline coyote sniper

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 02:47:45 PM »
Go with a .270.  I shoot a Savage 110 in a .270 and it has dropped a deer in his tracks at 400 yards.  I personally don't like the 30-06 because it kicks like a damn mule for all the bigger it is.  The .270 is light on recoil and is very flat shooting.
I didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

Offline NorthernMich

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 03:50:37 AM »
I would  chose .308 over 30-06 because it is a shorter cartridge (I prefer short-action).  Most 0-06s are full length barrels and a heavier rifle.  The 308 in Remington 600/660, the new Rem copy, Ruger 77 Compact (short version), and Rem 7 are between 6-6.5 lbs.

308/30-06 both NATO cartridges and available almost everywhere.

I like a 165/168  grain for MI whitetails.  Not much gained in a 7mm-08 and you give up factory loaded choices and universal availability.  I think an 06 is a fine rifle though.

best shooters in my above category I have had
.308 Mohawk (slightly heavier barrel in this variety)uses fiberglass stock/Rem 7 in 6mm (not the same comparison for bullet performance though)
.308 Ruger Compact
.308 Rem 7
7mm-08 Rem 7 wood

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 04:50:04 PM »
Even though I no longer have one because I went the diversified route with my calibers, I would also go with the 30-06.  I love that caliber!

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 01:11:48 AM »
:-D  I will have to echo what almost everyone is saying here...30.06 The best overall calibur to shoot!!Only I like ruger m77's. :eek:

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 01:59:47 AM »
The most popular deer rifle is the 30-30 this has to be the most selling caliber out there.  The best all around caliber is the 30-06 you can buy a a wide range of ammo for it.  Like 150gr for deer /180gr for moose/elk, 220 for bear you see its one gun that does it all.  And most out of the way places has 30-06 ammo too its common.                     BigBill

Someone mentioned the 7x57 mauser its an overlooked great caliber and the '06 was designed from it.  I know a guy who killed everything in northamerica and thinned skin game in africa with the 7x57.  And its nice to shoot too because it doesn't want to rip your arm/shoulder off everytime I shoot it.  I like it too.

Now if cash flow is a problem a surplus Russian M91/30($80) or M44($50) would make a great deer gun too its a 7.62x54 and right in there with the 30-06/308 in power too but the ammo is cheaper the russian sp ammo is $6 a box.  So for under $100 it can put you in the hunt as its as good as anything else there is.  Its a cheap game getter and will put meat on the table.  There is an article on the backwoods home magazine site about affordable game getters you may want to read it.

Offline Joel W.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 02:58:14 AM »
I will qualify the following statement by saying it is merely my opinion.

The perfect deer rifle is a Remington Mountain Rifle chambered for 7mm/08.  I shoot 140 grain Nosler BT's out of mine, and have forgotten how to track deer since.  Heck, I dont have to.  They fall in their tracks like a train hit them.  I shoot them behind the shoulder and they fall dead.  Dead Right There. (DRT).  The rifle has a 22"  bbl, not too long, and still short enough to be right handy.  The cartridge shoots flat, with little recoil.  I have other deer rifles, but none that are more suited to deer hunting in all conditions.
When it comes time to shoot, SHOOT.  Don't talk.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 08:48:41 AM »
I totally agree… with SavageT  (gee, that rhymes, doesn’t it?)

According to most “experts” who know about these things, my 50 year old, 1953 “late EG” Model 99 with its rotary magazine which takes pointed bullets that retain their velocity much better than flat-nosed bullets, a cartridge counter, a schnoble forearm, a factory-“jeweled” breech-block and a lever safety in .300 Savage is “THE” classic eastern deer rifle… and most 150 grain bullets seem to be designed to work their best at .300 Savage velocities.

My handloads, consisting of a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, boat-tailed bullet in front of 41.5 grains of IMR4895 sparked by a Winchester standard large rifle primer in Winchester cartridge cases averages a muzzle velocity of 2675 fps according to my chronograph and yields consistent 3-shot groups averaging 7/10ths of an inch @ 100 yards.

Sighted in 2.8 inches high at 100 yards, my handloads give my .300 Savage a point-blank-range of 260 yards… as far as I care to take a shot at a deer… and the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet is still traveling about 2200 fps with about 1600 ft/lbs. of bullet energy.

This “perfect deer package” is completed by the Bushnell 3x-9x scope mounted as low as possible directly over the receiver/beech-block opening rather than having to use a side mount.  This is made possible because the Model 99 Savage’s famous “butter-smooth” lever action ejects the spent cartridge cases out to the right side rather than straight up as the lever is operated.

But, in truth, perhaps the “best deer rifle” is the one you’ve got in your hands when that huge-bodied, 10-point buck suddenly appears in front of you within shooting range… and your heart leaps into your mouth.    :P

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline savageT

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 10:44:26 AM »
Well said Ron T................

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline kc5rkg

all-round gun
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 05:33:45 AM »
well  I dont know if there is a good all-round gun, thats why we love to have so many :wink:  

I use a Winchester M70 lightweight in 30-06.  It does everything I wanna do here in Texas.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
deer rifles
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 01:52:43 PM »
Well, you asked about deer rifles, so....
1] In close range woods (50 yards or less areas) I like my Ruger Deerfield. It is only offered in .44 mag, so that's the cartridge. Its an okay cartridge for close in shots.
2] I like my Winchester Model 70 Classic Express in .375H&H for deer hunting where the range can average more than 50 yards, and where real close is not the prevalent condition.

Offline stork

• Avid Poster
best all around deer rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 03:16:28 PM »
I guess the best rifle for me is my two month old Savage model 111 30-06
I have only fired 14 rounds through that rifle and one of them droped a doe right in its tracks last thursday.  That was my first deer so my rifle convinced me that a 30-06 will do the job.

the all around rifle for me would be my 30-06 loaded with 150 0r 165 grain bullets for every thing except for brushy areas where i would use a 180 to 220 grain bullets.  But you should shoot whatever shoots best in your rifle.

Offline jathames

Graybeard
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2003, 04:11:50 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
My Remington Model 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in 7-08.  :eek:

you like the Hornady Light Magnum over the Federal Premium 140 Grain Nosler partition?? Just wondering I have a Steyr 7mm-08 that I will be using this year.. Thanks
Jeff

I started using the 7-08 shortly after Remington brought out the Model 7 in it. That old rifle is now Mrs. GB's deer rifle with the stock cut to fit her. I've told this before but will tell it again here. The day I sighted it in a squirrel just kept barking over on the side of the range the whole time I was shooting. When the sighting in was over I fired a shot and the squirrel dropped. Range was maybe 80 yards. The rifle had only been shooting 1.5"-2"+ groups but hit that squirrel. To this day that rifle has never missed when fired on fur and never required a second shot. It has been used by me, my oldest son Bobby and now Faye and the record still stands. It has been used on game from that squirrel to deer to exotics to hogs and even a feral goat that came by me once while I was sitting in a treestand in Bama many miles from the nearest house.

I replaced it with another model 7, this one SS metal and plastic stock and then replaced it with my current R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle both in 7-08. To date I've still never missed or needed a second shot on any game fired at with the 7-08 round. My current favorite load is the Hornady Light Mag with 139 grain SP bullet. It will be with me this fall on most of my hunts with rifle.

GB

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2003, 04:59:50 PM »
Well Jeff, I almost missed your question hidden in amongst my quote. Had to go back and look a second time as I wasn't really reading my own words just skimming over them.

I've never used the Federal load with Nosler PT in 7-08 so I have no real opinion of it. I will say that in such standard rounds as this premium bullets are not necessary for deer hunting. If I were going elk hunting with it then yup I'd likely go with the PT. But for deer? Nope not needed.

Back in that first Rem 7 we mostly shot RP factory 140 grain loads as they shot better than any of my hand loads even if they didn't do real well in it. The sure killed game tho. I've played around with many handloads in this cartridge and have even found some that shoot as well as or slightly better than the Hornady Light Mags. But none enough more so to matter. Plus with the Light Mags ya pick up a couple hundred fps. Not a lot but it's free really since that ammo shoots so accurate I like to use it anyway. I like the way it performs on game also. Can't recall an animal getting out of view of me after a shot with it so far. It will be what's in my 7-08 this fall and for many falls to come as long as I'm chasing deer size game with it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jathames

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2003, 02:30:57 AM »
Graybeard:

I will try a box.. Thanks

Quote from: Graybeard
Well Jeff, I almost missed your question hidden in amongst my quote. Had to go back and look a second time as I wasn't really reading my own words just skimming over them.

I've never used the Federal load with Nosler PT in 7-08 so I have no real opinion of it. I will say that in such standard rounds as this premium bullets are not necessary for deer hunting. If I were going elk hunting with it then yup I'd likely go with the PT. But for deer? Nope not needed.

Back in that first Rem 7 we mostly shot RP factory 140 grain loads as they shot better than any of my hand loads even if they didn't do real well in it. The sure killed game tho. I've played around with many handloads in this cartridge and have even found some that shoot as well as or slightly better than the Hornady Light Mags. But none enough more so to matter. Plus with the Light Mags ya pick up a couple hundred fps. Not a lot but it's free really since that ammo shoots so accurate I like to use it anyway. I like the way it performs on game also. Can't recall an animal getting out of view of me after a shot with it so far. It will be what's in my 7-08 this fall and for many falls to come as long as I'm chasing deer size game with it.

GB

Offline motor

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2003, 04:17:51 PM »
Rem. 270----140 gr. hornaday
Just an ole sinner saved by grace..