Author Topic: Got my old reloading gear down..  (Read 516 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Got my old reloading gear down..
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
  Been about 30 years..but I went up in the loft in my barn where I stored the gear & supplies and brought it down. It has always been stored where dry and usually cool..although summers up there were sometimes warm. The powder all smells OK..so I wonder if it is OK.
  I have;
1) Hercules 2400
2) DuPont ..IMR 4198
3) DuPont...IMR 4227
4) Hodgdon ..4831
5) IMR....IMR 4895

Since I bought these so many years ago..can I safely assume that the powder in today's data for instance, labeled 2400 or DuPont 4227, is the same powder it was back then ?
  My 2400 is Hercules brand..don't see Hercules anymore...the old DuPont numbers seem to be all IMR now..are they the same load wise ?

....thanks, Ironglow
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Got my old reloading gear down..
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
2400 is still made http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/2400.aspx

as for whether the loads are the same, compare your old data to new data to get an idea.

www.hodgdon.com will have a lot of loads to look at and compare.

the powder may very well be fine. but it could also be deteriorated. guess the only real way to know is to work up a safe load and shoot it over a chronograph.

powder isn't going to get MORE potent, would be LESS. so might as well try it out.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
You have the old powder, you mean to say you don't have your old loading manuals too? Just use the old manuals, they were better anyway, before everybody got afraid of lawsuits. I've always read about how powder deteriorated and had a red mist or rust when you opened the can. Never knew if I had any or not, but then I opened a can that had gone bad, and there was no doubt then.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »
That's a long time for powder stored improperly and in the loft of a barn is VERY improper storage. It got HOT there in summer unless you live in Alaska I'd think and the humidity was whatever it was outside so unless you were in a very dry climate that means at times quite humid.

Still if it looks OK and smells OK then I'd be tempted to load a few rounds and see how it performs and go from there. Had it been properly stored I'd say it should be OK for sure but in the loft of a barn is not proper storage not even close.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »
I stored a bunch of powder in my relatively dry basement off the floor. Some of it was in the tin cans. I found that the powder had rust in it - a definite rust color on the power from the insides of the can. Those got dumped. I had some that were in the cardboard style with metal ends, it was OK and I am still using it. The plastic cans they use now days are much better at storing powder - IMHO.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »
  Thanks Guys;
   Guess I'll take youir advice and work up a few loads and chrony them. The main loads I will be doing in the near future will b e for 22 Hornet and .223. I am Optimistic about the Lil' Gun powder I just bought.
   I do have an old Hornady manual..and my grandson just gave me a new Lyman manual..so I will compare where possible.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
Yeah, I got back into shooting after a 25 year hiatus. My I4198 went bad but the 4350, 4064, and 4895 look OK. I bought new Bullseye and Unique, one thing I did notice was the new powders are denser, throwing about 10% heavier charges with the same powder measure settings. Of course I go by weight, not volume.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot