Author Topic: New/used Tamer 410 Barrel not tight on my frame.  (Read 504 times)

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
New/used Tamer 410 Barrel not tight on my frame.
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »
I got a used Tamer barrel from numerich gun parts. Looked like somebody used it for a tool. Cleaned up ok. It locks up on my frame but is a little loose up and down. How do I correct this. I will not touch my frame as it is an HY and fits my 223 24" bull, and 45LC . The barrel is also 19-1/4". I thought Tamer barrels were 20". Only the last 3/4 of an inch is choked. Bore 410, choke 395. I plan to remove this to make the choke 405. Is the looseness an issue? I don't like it.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New/used Tamer 410 Barrel not tight on my frame.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »
See the barrel fitting info in the FAQs and Help sticky, loose isn't good, it probably just needs to be shimmed at the pivot.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:13:24 AM »
I am loving the Coke can shim. Cleans up the wiggle more often than one might think. Been experimenting with many barrel/receiver swaps. Use scissors and cut out an aproximate 1/2" square piece. Bend it over the pin and try the barrel. The barrel will finish bending it and even cut it down to size. If you don't cut the bar code, you can still get a nickel back for recycling the can. Worst case, you wasted 5 minutes. Oh yeah, a V8 can is .001 thicker than a Coke can :) That is the difference between wiggle and no wiggle!!!! How much was the barrel from Numrich if I may ask?

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
I am loving the Coke can shim. Cleans up the wiggle more often than one might think. Been experimenting with many barrel/receiver swaps. Use scissors and cut out an aproximate 1/2" square piece. Bend it over the pin and try the barrel. The barrel will finish bending it and even cut it down to size. If you don't cut the bar code, you can still get a nickel back for recycling the can. Worst case, you wasted 5 minutes. Oh yeah, a V8 can is .001 thicker than a Coke can :) That is the difference between wiggle and no wiggle!!!! How much was the barrel from Numrich if I may ask?

I had a request in the WTB forum, no takers. In the mean time, 2 410 barrels sold on the Classified. I was a little disappointed and impatient. I saw a post about the Numrich site and I have bought parts for my H&R 929 sidekick there. They have a lot of barrels listed, 99.9% of the time sold out. 79 to 99 dollars plus shipping, about 10 bucks. I paid 94.99 plus, 105.05 to my door.  The deal was credit/debit and tracking. All online. got it in 4 days. Nickel, beat up, well used. Impatience probably cost me 50 bucks. It is too darn cold and miserable to go out side any way. I tried it, 3 hours, froze, unpacked the car, put all my hunting stuff away. I am not coming out of the house until April. Now I have something to do.

Offline gjdykeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »

Pepsi can shim, worked like new money. I will follow the sticky procedure for barrel fitting in my spare time. Choke bored out, 13/32 bit bored to .406, polished with fine emery cloth taped on the knurled end of a punch in my drill then polished some more with lapping compound same way. .4065. Making the 3" brass next