Author Topic: Matching Scope Finishes  (Read 514 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Matching Scope Finishes
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
Dumb question, but...

Is there ANY benefit to using a stainless scope vs. a gloss blued on a stainless rifle (other than no glare), or is it just for appearance purposes?

Some of the stainless scopes are brighter than the darker gray stainless barrels.

Is resale higher if you sold a rifle with a matching scope?  

Thanks.

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: Matching Scope Finishes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
I have never owned a stainless scope and don't see any reason to do so. I would imangine that you would have a much easier time selling a convential black scope than a stainless one.

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
There is no advantage of trying to match the scope to the rifle.  It will not increase the value of the rifle.  I have never seen a perfect match.  Its a waste of time.  If anything, I like the look of a matte scope on a stainless rifle.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:09:37 AM »
I can't see why a stainles finish scope would increase the value of a rifle. A gloss finish scope on a stainless rifle is butt ugly to me. I like matte finish scopes on a stainless rifle. Most "stainless" finish scopes don't match the rifle's finish anyway.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:48 AM »
I always wondered how particular others are. 
I can't see spending for a scope with a stainless color/finish.
I don't particularly like the way the bright scopes look. 
But unlike Dave, i actually like my gloss scopes on the darker stainless rifle. Just personal preference I guess.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:16:07 AM »
IMO the matte black scopes look best on a stainless gun.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:38:52 AM »
It's a matter of personal preference.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:27 AM »
The problem is that you will end up worry more about how close the finish is rather than the quality of the scope.   You are never going to get a perfect match between a stainless scope and a stainless rifle.  Allot of people go thru this, myself included.  If a BSA matches your rifle perfectly and the luepold doesn't, are you going with the BSA?  If you put the BSA on your rifle, you won't get anymore for the rifle with the scope than without.  Don't worry about the finish, worry about the quality.  Buy the best scope you can afford.  When you go to sell the rifle, slap a cheap scope you have laying around on it or sell it without a scope and keep the good one you bought.  You rarely if ever get what the scope is worth when you sell it on the gun.  If you really want to get rid of it, sell it seperately on ebay or on the classifieds here.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
I've got them mixed every way possible.  Don't matter one bit to me.  Like someone else said, go for quality and not for looks.