Author Topic: First cannon,could use some advise!  (Read 2211 times)

Offline fogdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: First cannon,could use some advise!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
I have been shooting cannon grade BP in my two inch bore cannon, could someone tell me what the difference FG grade BP would make as far as the visual and sound effect.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
Hard to say if there would be any difference at the muzzle but the Fg will reach a higher chamber pressure; usually the muzzle velocity of a shotted load is about the same.  Cannon grade is the right granulation for a 2 inch bore.

If you have come into a low cost supply of Fg, the proper thing to do is reduce the charge.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
I have been shooting cannon grade BP in my two inch bore cannon, could someone tell me what the difference FG grade BP would make as far as the visual and sound effect.

I don't know what visual or sound effect difference there might be be.  But Matt Switlik in his pressure test written up in The Artilleryman and in his book the More complete cannoneer reports a 40% increase in pressure with no increase in velocity when firing rounds.  Firing a blank, might not mean anything, but what's the point.