Author Topic: resize the neck ,or  (Read 471 times)

Offline kyhareraiser

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
resize the neck ,or
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
full lenth resize???  got my dies today for the 22-250 and there were 2 resizing dies .one for neck resizing,the other for full lenth resizing..which one is best,,,and what's the purpose of just neck resizing ???
i wish i was just half the man,that my dog thinks i am

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: resize the neck ,or
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »
Several different things about just neck sizing. Main thing to remember, brass has to be used in the same gun it was fired in. If you shoot 2 different guns, in the same caliber, you'll somehow have to mark the brass, to keep them seperate.
Now, onto why. Your working the brass less, by just neck sizing. So it'll last longer. When I neck size, I only size about half the lenght of the neck. In theory, the case and bullet are centered in the bore, so better accuracy. Now, depending on chamber demensions, and how hot or mild, you load, you will have to full lenght size eventually. You might get 3-4 loadings before you have to, or, you might get 8-10. It will vary with different guns/brass,etc. Hope this helps alittle. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:05 AM »
I prefer neck sizing.  It works the brass less and IMO extends the life of the brass when compared to full length resizing.

In most cases, but not all cases, neck sizing produces better accuracy as the case fits the chamber better and the bullet is in closer alignment with the bore and produces less "yaw" as it enters the bore.

When the bolt has difficulty closing then I partial re-size using the full length die, just not adjusted all the way down.

This gives me maximum case life.

I want to work the brass as little as possible.

You didn't say what action, and some actions, such as auto-loaders, almost always require full length resizing to function reliably. 
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:25:32 AM »
Another advantage to neck sizing is that you don't have to lube the brass prior to sizing like you must do when full length resizing. It saves time.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline gandog56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »
I neck size only for all my bolt actions. About every fifth time I full size and trim them.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:21 AM »
You can always get an RCBS X-Die and trim one time, yep no need to trim again for the life of the case, then use only the X-Die every time you reload, and your brass will not stretch. It extends case life. Still should use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to finish off though.

Offline kyhareraiser

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
i will be loading these for a T/C encore ..22-250  and the 30-06.. i did.nt get the neck sizer wth the 30-06,but i've had those dies awhile. or ,maybe ,the 30-06 always require full length sizing. thank's for the info ,,any other suggestions ;D
i wish i was just half the man,that my dog thinks i am

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
I neck size only for all my bolt actions. About every fifth time I full size and trim them.

I agree.  With the Encore, adjust your full length die so it sizes the brass enough for your action to close with a firm grip.  Open and close your action a few times.  You should be able to feel how it does without any ammo.  When you set your sizing die, set it so when the brass is in the chamber, you feel just a little resistance in the action closing.  That is your ideal die setting.

Neck die setting will be the same.  After firing in your chamber the first time, from then on you usually only have to neck size.   On about your 3rd, 4th, or maybe even 5th firing, your action will get a little harder to close.  May even have to "slam" it to close.  Time to full length size again.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002