Author Topic: What's the best one?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: What's the best one?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
rem chokes are just as popular as winchokes plus there more barrel avaliable for the 870 not saying the pardner pump is bad i just prefer the remington 870
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 02:40:57 AM »
If you take your shotgun to a pattern board you will notice the difference in the longer Remington chokes.  I had one IC short choke donut, not a pellet in the middle of about a 6" circle.  I was surprised.  This was with 1 oz #8 shot, as was all my checking of the chokes.  The chokes that patterened the best were my Briley's. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »
  I'm not a big shotgun guy, but thge Mossberg 500s must be dependable. My grandson, a Marine Spec Ops who served in Ramadi-Hit-Fallujah areas..carried a Mossy 500 door to door, when he wasn't cartrying his m4.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
  I'm not a big shotgun guy, but thge Mossberg 500s must be dependable. My grandson, a Marine Spec Ops who served in Ramadi-Hit-Fallujah areas..carried a Mossy 500 door to door, when he wasn't cartrying his m4.

When I was in Ramadi we had a Marine corporal with us that had an issued Mossy 500. It was short barreled with an extended mag tube and ghost ring sights. I would have rather had that than my M16. ;)

Spanky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
Quote from: Spanky link=topic=194984.msg 1098994498#msg 1098994498 date=1263267022
Quote from: ironglow link=topic=194984.msg 1098994321#msg 1098994321 date=1263259674
  I'm not a big shotgun guy, but the Mossberg 500s must be dependable. My grandson, a Marine Spec Ops who served in Ramadi-Hit-Fallujah areas..carried a Mossy 500 door to door, when he wasn't carrying his m4.
When I was in Ramadi we had a Marine corporal with us that had an issued Mossy 500. It was short barreled with an extended mag tube and ghost ring sights. I would have rather had that than my M16. ;) Spanky

NOW, your pickin' up what I'm throwin' down...  ;D ;D

Quote from: cwlongshot
"Defensively my first choice is my Remington 870. Defensively, I actually prefer it to my other favorite a Colt .45 Commander."
Quote from: cwlongshot
"There are very few things I will stake my life on, one is my Remington 870".

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:22 AM »
remington 870 and mossberg series shotguns have both served in the military at one time or the other along with just about every other shotgun known to man. I prefer the remington 870 as it feels a little more solid than the mossberg shotguns.
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:31 AM »

When I was in Ramadi we had a Marine corporal with us that had an issued Mossy 500. It was short barreled with an extended mag tube and ghost ring sights. I would have rather had that than my M16. ;)

Spanky

My brother-in-law served in Iraq in 2008, that's exactly his feeling. If I could just convince him to quit shootin' up all of my 00 buck, he forgets we have to pay for 'em here.  :)

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 03:20:35 AM »
The Mossberg is less 'finished' than the 870, if you get what i mean.  Clunky alum receiver, plastic tang safety.  Certainly stout feeling.

For the difference in price between a Chinese copy and a real 870 - I can't imagine not supporting Remington - and I'm not a huge fan of big green.   These are folks right down the road boys.  On principle alone.

I'm surprized both are still offered, since both are part of Freedom Group.  Could a drop in Express production be next due to the more profitable import eating up Express volume?  That would be interesting (ugh).

Offline RED132

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 03:37:51 AM »
Spanky,  I have owned both the 500 and 870 and i think it comes down to personal preference because they both come with choke tubes and lots of barrel options and wood or synthetic stocks. I would say that either one would last a life time with normal maintanence.

Offline jeffcneal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
Red132 is right, personal preference is the key since the 500 and 870 will both last a lifetime with normal maintenance.

The Pardner Pump is a Norinco copy of the 870 except for its 5 round capacity magazine as opposed to the 870's 4 round tube.  Except for barrels and mag tube extensions, most other 870 parts and accessories will fit.  Although if you get a model with choke tubes, be aware that they are'nt Rem-Choke.  In an ironic twist they're Mossberg Accu-Chokes.

Having said all this, my vote is for the Mossberg.

Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
I own 2 mossberg 500A, one made in the 60's, single slide rail and one from the 70"s double slide rails (less slide slop, noise!) I've had the older one for 30 years
it has never failed and has taken lots of game. Got the newer one last year and plan on making it my slug gun (less noise, less chances spooking deer)
I also picked up a H&R 20 gauge compact pump for my Daughter.But I I've been using it more. Light, short and durable. It's great for $200. Made in China. So what. I'll buy firearms from anywhere. It's a corporate decision and the local man still makes money selling them. A Maverick can be brought for about $30 bucks more and it's made in the US with some Mexican made parts!
http://www.maverickarms.com/

Offline ferryboatcaptain

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 03:40:16 AM »
I am a big H & R fan but when it comes to pump shotguns, Remington is all I use, now i've hade mossbergs, winchesters, stevens,  and they are ok, but the rems  seem to be better made to me .   GO WITH A REMINGTON 870  YOU WON'T BE SORRY          FBC   
Basic training 1984
Diego Garcia  1985-87
NAS Pensacola 1987-90
NAS Whiting Field 1990- 91
1996 National Guard
Ft. Sill  2003
Pine Bluff Arsenal   2004- 05
Camp Taji, Iraq       2008
Thinking about retiring   2011
Turned in my retirement paper work  Jan. 2013

Offline Jghoat

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
 I am mossberg fan, but saw this thought I would pass it on.
It's not my add the link came from craigslist.

http://carolinaguntrader.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2653

Old goat J.G
"Never bad mouth the farmer with your mouth full".
Preacher Smith

Offline scootrd

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
I hear alot about the Mossbergs and the Rem 870's,

Where does Ithaca fit into the modern Pump picture nowdays?
Are they comparable?
Their Deerslayer models look pretty nice in the ads I have seen
and their Mod 37 comes in both Featherweight and ultralight.

My father had a very old Ithaca for years and loved it.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Stuart C.

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 02:44:33 AM »
Despite a less than stellar recent write up in Shooting Sportsman, the new 37s that I've seen look really very nice.  I have not shot one.  The owners I spoke to all love them.  I'm still very interested in the new 28 ga but haven't jumped on it yet. Completely different league than Express/Pardner/500/Maverick.

These new 37s are pricey.  But then again, I've seen new Wingmasters priced at well over $700, and between the two I'd give the nod to the 37 even with the price difference. IMO.

If I only wanted a 12 or a 20 or a Deerslayer, I'd buy used as they are, IMO, absolute bargains.  An older Deerslayer is on my personal wishlist. ;) :D

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 06:28:57 AM »
I went down to my local shop yesterday and handled a couple Pardner pumps. One was brand new with a vent rib barrel and synthetic stocks. The other one was a used slug gun with sights and scope rail on it. The action on the new one was pretty stiff when cycling but it handled and pointed well. The action on the used slug gun was as smooth as greased glass. It was amazing how different it felt compared to the new one. He also had a beautiful used Mossy 500 slug gun with a ported barrel and cantilever scope mount. The action on the Mossy was very smooth also. I'm really kind of stuck. They all seem decent to me. :-\

Spanky

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »
IMO you really have to search hard to find a bad pump gun. It does come down to personal preference.