Author Topic: Anyone use Rothco Recoil Pads?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline ahil925

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone use Rothco Recoil Pads?
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »
Well, I decided to take my long neglected NEF 20ga youth/compact Pardner out to the range the other day and run some shells through it.  I was a kid the last time I shot it, and the years seem to have made it alot less punishing.  I ran about 50 shells of 7 1/2 shot shooting some clays, felt only a little more recoil then my mauser.  Then I decided to run a few slugs I had through it.  Ouch.

Long story short, I'm on the look out for a recoil pad.  I'm after a slip on pad, and saw Rothco Rubber Recoil Pads, but I can't find any sizing information or reviews on them.  Does anyone here have any experiences with them?

Link to the manufacturer's site: http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/fuseaction/itemdetail/item/577/subcat/245/prodid/104/from/left

Thanks for your time.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Anyone use Rothco Recoil Pads?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:49:17 AM »
 Looks like a Pachmayr. Sizing may be similar.
http://www.pachmayr.com/slip-pads.php

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:11 AM »
I think the reason this has 38views and one response is because Most folks I've heard mention using a slip on pad.
That is a lot cheaper option though. The limbsaver is about $20 at Wal-Mart but it works great.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »
This is a very old maker.. I'm surprised they are even sold any longer in this day and age of "premium pads"

I agree, if you need a slip on, get a limbsaver. MUCH better design, far more efficient.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ahil925

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:49 AM »
Well, I went a head and ordered the Rothco. It came in late January, but I didn't get a chance to test it till last weekend.  The version they sent me looks dramatically different from the company's stock photo, almost like its trying to mimic a "premium" pad.  Its about a 1/4" too tall, leaving an overhang under the stock that I had to shim (used making tape and thin cardboard to fix).  To get it to feel good on the shoulder I had to remove the stock hard rubber trim (can't really call it a pad) on the butt.  The soft rubber on the Rothco could be a bit less tacky in feel, but it does do a good job keeping the butt from slipping once shouldered.

Now for the important part, it helps.  The length of pull on the stock fits me much better now, but bear in mind I am 6'2".  I shot 7 slugs consecutively with it, and it really takes the hurt out.  The slugs still push me around, but they no longer bite.  After that I ran 60 shells of shot out the gun going after clays.  At the risk of sounding like a pansy, I have to say, it really make shooting clays alot more enjoyable.

Here are some pics of it:

and

Its 5"1/4" tall by 1"3/4" wide at the butt end, and 4"1/2" by 1"1/2" at the open, end relaxed. Overall length is 4".

I ended up paying about $10, after shipping cost, for it.  Its not pretty, and needed some tinkering, but it works.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
If it works for you and your satisfied with it thats all that matters.

Good luck

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »
Well, I decided to take my long neglected NEF 20ga youth/compact Pardner out to the range the other day and run some shells through it.  I was a kid the last time I shot it, and the years seem to have made it alot less punishing.  I ran about 50 shells of 7 1/2 shot shooting some clays, felt only a little more recoil then my mauser.  Then I decided to run a few slugs I had through it.  Ouch.

Long story short, I'm on the look out for a recoil pad.  I'm after a slip on pad, and saw Rothco Rubber Recoil Pads, but I can't find any sizing information or reviews on them.  Does anyone here have any experiences with them?

Link to the manufacturer's site: http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/fuseaction/itemdetail/item/577/subcat/245/prodid/104/from/left

Thanks for your time.

I bought mine at Walmart for 20 bucks. They sell a Winchester branded limb-saver. They even let me try it on a pardner 12ga just like mine so I knew it fit before I left the store. I also asked him if I could see a box of 12ga shells and he handed them too me. Then I asked him to remove the trigger lock and he was going to to do it. I was all "Your not going to really remove that after handing me a box of shells are you?" and he looked kinda confused.