Author Topic: Powder selection  (Read 764 times)

Offline LilNewt

• Trade Count: (4)
Powder selection
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:51 PM »
With the advent of powder seemingly scarce and such with a few powders, mainly the most "versatile" ones, I wondered what would be the second powder of choice.  Mainly based on versatility, with the new reloader in mind, therefore throwing out the ones that have a tendency to produce dangerous pressures rather easily, and throwing out the ones that don't fill the case to at least optimum levels when following most of the manufacturers guide lines on charges (therefore more easily prone to "overcharging" a case).

With 4895, Varget, and W748 seemingly being the most popular for their versatility, what would you consider a good powder to go to for middle of the road reloading, mainly for the newbie in mind.  One that fills the case to optimum level using the manufacturer posted loads, one that your not trying to push every last bit of velocity from, and one that has relatively, and I do mean relatively, "safe" pressures.  See what I am getting at?

Why you like the particular powder will help things also.  Thanks guys!

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Powder selection
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
H4895 is a very versatile rifle powder. It is part of the Extreme Series offered by Hodgdon. 4985 Works well in many cailbers, and is an extruded powder.

Personally I would choose Hodgdon's BL-C2 as this is a spherical powder or "ball type" that works well with many calibers and is easy to run thru most powder measures. You can also purchase WC846 a military surplus and kinda mimics BL-C2 and is less expensive to purchase.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
what cartridge(s) are you loading?
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:21:30 AM »
I guess I have not seen the WC846 before.  The 4895 does seem like the best all around choice, but that is kind of what I am getting at.  If you didnt have a choice to buy 4895, varget, and W748 available what would the next choice be.  The BL-C2 does look good.  Thanks.

I personally will be reloading for the .243, 30-30, and 30-06 for now.

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:43:45 AM »
RL15, IMR 3031, IMR 4320, IMR 4064, AA 2230, AA 2495, AA 2520, AA 4064, H335. All these will work pretty well with 150 gr bullets or so in both the 30-30 and 30-06.

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »
I am really liking the IMR4064. It looks pretty versatile.  How does it perform in each of those calibers?  It also looks like it has a pretty wide range of possibilities in the .243.  Anyone ever used it in that caliber? 

The BL-C2 looks like it has a faster burn rate than the others.  Is there a worry about pressure issues with this one when using standard loads?

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:36:12 AM »
I am really liking the IMR4064. It looks pretty versatile.  How does it perform in each of those calibers?  It also looks like it has a pretty wide range of possibilities in the .243.  Anyone ever used it in that caliber? 

The BL-C2 looks like it has a faster burn rate than the others.  Is there a worry about pressure issues with this one when using standard loads?

I have not used 4064 so I can't say anything about that propellant. The BL-C2 I have used a lot of and loading data for it is everywhere. Pressure should follow standard SAMMI protocols when using published data. You just have to start at published specs and work up.

You can pick up a copy of Hodgdon's #26 manual and it will give you pressures with most loads and also gives data for Hodgdons, Alliant, Winchester, and IMR powders in most calibers. Just type Hodgdon #26 data manual in your search engine and used ones come up for sale. I paid $9.00 for a near new one from an online bookseller.

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
I checked out the reload center online data for Hodg, IMR, and Win.   The BL-C2 looks pretty good for the 30-30, and 30-06, but it stops with only 80 grain bullets on the .243 data.  How well does it fill the 30-30 and 30-06 cases when sticking to the published data?  Thanks

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
I would look into H414 or W760 for the three calibers you mentioned. They are the same now and are "ball type" propellants like BL-C2 and W748. Ball or spherical types just meter better when filling a lot of cases. I have not used H414 in the 30-30, but 414 worked very well in .243 and 30-06 when I loaded those calibers. I think it will work with 30-30 also. In the 30-30, 39 grains (top loading listed)will give you 2327 fps with a 150 grain bullet and 37 grains(top loading listed) will give you 2259fps with a 170 grain bullet.

I used 56 grains in the -06 with a 165 grain Hornady SP
In the .243 I loaded 42.5 grains with a 100 grain bullet.

Again these were my loads and you have to work up to these. The 30-30 loading was from my Hodgdon #26 data manual and I never tried that loading personally. Again YMMV and be safe.

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
Yea, I plan to always go by manufacture published data when working up a load.  However, they don't list how "full" the case gets when using each powder.  That is something that can only be done when you know exactly how much room you have left after seating a bullet and such.  I also do not plan on filling a lot of cases at one time, but how well the powder flows is a nice thing.  In my research I have just found that it is better to have a 80-95% case fill with the powder.  I would like to stick with that type of charge even if it means that I will loose out on velocity or have to clean the gun more.  Those are not so much of interest to me at this time.  I am just starting so really safety is my main concern, especially since these are going to be rounds that kids shoot.  High pressures and such is what I really want to stay away from and most resources I have looked at say that to avoid accidental pressure increases do to too much space left in cases then you should stick to the 80-95% rule.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
The Nosler books list case volume by %, don't know what they have on the web, another thing to look for in data is they usually list a max charge as "compressed" if it's a high volume slow burning powder. If it say's that, you know to back off or at least get an Idea what kind of volume you'll have with the lighter loads.
found elsewhere

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for one of my quandaries.  But I am guessing that it only applies to Nosler, right or wrong?

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:00:27 PM »
Wow, just checked out their website.  That is pretty cool.  I am curious if Sierra does it in their manual.  That is who I plan on getting most of my bullets from.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
Well ya it all nosler bullet data, but the amount of powder in a case is still that much powder in a case, whether they use your powder for your cartridge is still a hit or miss deal, but I'm finding like all the long time loaders here say,, it's all about cross referance,, over,, and over,, and,,,

I don't know about Sierra, they don't wanna give ya any data on line,,besides a link to buy their book,,it's a good thick book though. Our local supply is a Scheels store, they have 6-7 books available at their counter for any one to look up data, kinda handy, if you buy Sierra bullets, or Hornady, or Nosler ect,,, at least you can look what to load,,I guess it helps Scheels sell powder,,
found elsewhere

Offline LilNewt

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:39 AM »
Yea. I had been to Noslers site before, but never checked out their load data.  A case is a case.  They dont give a ton of choices of powder.  But I can figure out what I am wanting to know from it.  Thanks.

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 05:13:24 AM »
Yea. I had been to Noslers site before, but never checked out their load data.  A case is a case.  They dont give a ton of choices of powder.  But I can figure out what I am wanting to know from it.  Thanks.

I've never been on Nolsers site but their reloading manual list loads from slowest velocity to fastest and they being doing that since manual # 1 and the max loading data is for 10 loads.  Speers goes from fastest to slowest and the powder manuals do it different so if your looking for middle of the roads loads some like Nolser/Speer may help.