Author Topic: reloading books?  (Read 629 times)

Offline mountainboy

• Trade Count: (0)
reloading books?
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
can yall recomend any good reloading books .for some one starting reloading .

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: reloading books?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
Speer reloading Manual rifle and pistol ------ it's been good to me so far has just about every thing I need in in a reloading manual D Crockett

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »
The 2 most often used by me are the Lyman 49th and the 2nd Ed by Lee , both walk you through the basic's very well , the Lee does read like an add for their products but does cover loading well - step by step .

stimpy

PS --- Don't forget the Links at the top of this forum , a ton of info their also .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
Sierra and Nosler.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
I recommend everyone own the Lyman manual if no other as it covers cast bullet data better than all others and to me has the best loading education section for new loads of them all.

Then buy the manual from the bullet maker/makers you plan to use most. Get all the free powder manuals from the powder makers they are after all free.

Buy the Hodgdon annual manual every year. I missed 2009 by not ordering in time and sure hate that. They do sell out every year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »
"The ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier

He writes so a feller can understand, and you can choose what level you need to work on, Novice to Expert.

Check the local Library, last time I went there books where still free for borrowing.
found elsewhere

Offline LilNewt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »
Yea, I thought the local library might have some books also.  Then I checked out their website that has a search engine for their books.  Not a one to be found.  Must be a political thing. 8)

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I like the older Lyman manuals. They won't help you much if you're loading new cartridges or components, but if you are loading older cartridges and old standby components, these old manuals have "accuracy loads" that very often work.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:46 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lyman+reloading+manual&x=6&y=22

Here's some books to start. I'd recomment the Lyman, the ABCs, the Lee, and then one or two from bullet mfgs., and one or two from powder mfgs. For a new reloader it's the "how to" sections that are most important rather than the recipes.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:43 AM »
Th Lyman book is good.
The Lee book is written in laymans terms.
Then look at books by the companies whose components you use make.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Redtail1949

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:29:30 AM »
lyman and the lee books are great for starters. they will explain everything and are easy to understand. then you will progress to the bullet makers books like all of us.

you will enjoy doing this and will learn a lot about your rifles and pistols. good luck to you.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard link=topic=195177.msg 1098992098#msg 1098992098 date=1263080407
I recommend everyone own the Lyman manual if no other as it covers cast bullet data better than all others and to me has the best loading education section for new loads of them all.

Then buy the manual from the bullet maker/makers you plan to use most. Get all the free powder manuals from the powder makers they are after all free.

This is exactly what I like to recommend.

See, LYMAN doesn't make powder, bullets or primers, so they use a array of different and popular components form other manufacturers. There instruction on getting started reloading is clear and accurate.
 Then, as Bill recommends, buy the Manuel for whom ever bullet and or powder you find to be your preference and work up from there.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline johnjohn

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
+1 on the Lyman, I also own a Lee but don't use it as much.