Author Topic: Lee shotgun slug molds 7/8 or 1 oz?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Lee shotgun slug molds 7/8 or 1 oz?
« on: January 09, 2010, 02:03:42 PM »
I am looking at purchasing a Lee 12ga shotgun slug mold.  I see they have both 7/8oz and 1oz molds available.  My planned uses would be more for hunting/self defense "emergencies" where I want to have single projectile capabilities with a shotgun if it should become my "only" firearm.

Do you have experience with either of these molds? 
If so, would you recommend one size over the other?

Thank you!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Lee shotgun slug molds 7/8 or 1 oz?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »
I have the 7/8oz mold because my "smooth bore" 870Rem "deer slug" barrel shot the old Browning 7/8oz slug load more accurately than any of the "heavy's".  So far, I have loaded it with 17.0 of Red Dot with a AA wad and hull and have gotten about 1350fps. The groups have been about 2 1/2" @ 50yards. I'm going to "shoot for" (pun intended :D) for about 1500 to 1550fps, which the loading data indicates is possible with their "listed" powders at normal (shotgun) pressures. The recoil has been relatively low and I have loaded the shotshells on a MEC jr 600 press, just substituting the slug for the "shot", and using a standard "folding crimp". I'll take accuracy over velocity, at this point, if I can find the "magic" slug that will better 2" groups @ 50yards. 
   According to LEE's data, the 1oz slug can be driven just about as fast as the lighter slug, I've just not owned any shotgun that would shoot them as accurately.

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Lee shotgun slug molds 7/8 or 1 oz?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
Hi Jager!

You seem to have hit upon EXACTLY what I'm looking for!  I want accuracy!!  I'd be happy with 2.5" at 50yds with a 7/8oz slug out of a smoothbore!! :)  That would do exactly what I want it to do!  I want to be able to take a deer or shoot a bad guy if needed and that's all I had! :)  It also seems easy enough to load that way too!

Thanks much!
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"