Author Topic: Thoughts on My Rifle Choice - Rem 700 SPS Stainless - .300 WM  (Read 1262 times)

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Thoughts on My Rifle Choice - Rem 700 SPS Stainless - .300 WM
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »
I've been wanting to get a .300 WM for quite some time.  I've decided on a Remington, and I'm thinking about the SPS stainless.  I plan on swapping the stock out for one of the H-S stocks, similar to the Sendero stock, only with the sporter barrel channel.  Down the road, I may have the barrel cut back to 24" (I'll see how I like 26" first) and have it fluted, if the gun turns out to be accurate.  If not, then I'll maybe have it rebarreled with a high quality aftermarket barrel.  Lots of ideas, shallow pockets!

Has anybody had any experience with this model, or one similar?  

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless.aspx

BTW, I know what kind of recoil I am getting into for those of you that will comment on that.  I have a friend with a Sendero in the .300 WM that I have shot quite a bit, so I know what to expect.  This is a want, not a need as I have a .280 that will basically handle what the .300 would.  I will be hunting black bear in Idaho this fall, and within the next few years, I will hopefully be doing some elk and moose hunting.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Thoughts on My Rifle Choice - Rem 700 SPS Stainless - .300 WM
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:03:40 AM »
If you are planning to have the Rem standard barrel fluted and maybe cut, why don't you find an action and have it custom barreled from the start?   I don't care for the 300WM but that is personal bias and not because of any recoil concerns.  In truth, I don't really like any cartridge case wearing a belt, although some of these belted cartridges would be favorites if the didn't sport that belt.  Maybe that is why the WSM's are so popular these days, made to headspace off the shoulder instead of a belt.  I suppose the belt is a non-issue if you don't handload the belted cases.   

Offline Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:51:23 AM »
jasonpro700 –
The belt is a non-issue even if you do handload the belted cases. 

There are two ways to go.   One is to full-length resize, as I've been doing with my 7mm RM since 1982 and my .300 WM since I got it in 2003.  Both are very accurate with my hunting loads.  The other is to neck-size the fired cases so that they headspace on the shoulder, just like non-belted cartridges.

That said, while I find the belt to be a useless anachronism and prefer unbelted cartridges from an aesthetic standpoint, my 7mm RM will be the last to go and my .300 WM won’t be going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:57:22 AM »
jasonpro700 –  I think your going about it right to start with by changing stocks and getting an action that has alot of after market parts for a future project.  Since you already shot one there be no surprise and it's a good caliber on the want instead of need list.

One thing I've always done on building a mag rifle with a belt is have the case headspace on the shoulders and I'm not much into reworking a factory barrel I like to have the action squared new threat cut then I get a barrel of my choice which is always different than what the factory used.  I have a pretty good gunsmithand that real important.

Well good luck

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:52 AM »
There are two ways to go.   One is to full-length resize, as I've been doing with my 7mm RM since 1982 and my .300 WM since I got it in 2003.  Both are very accurate with my hunting loads.  The other is to neck-size the fired cases so that they headspace on the shoulder, just like non-belted cartridges.

jasonpro700 –  I think your going about it right to start with by changing stocks and getting an action that has alot of after market parts for a future project.  Since you already shot one there be no surprise and it's a good caliber on the want instead of need list.

One thing I've always done on building a mag rifle with a belt is have the case headspace on the shoulders and I'm not much into reworking a factory barrel I like to have the action squared new threat cut then I get a barrel of my choice which is always different than what the factory used.  I have a pretty good gunsmithand that real important.

Well good luck

Headspacing off of the shoulder is what I planned to do.  The friend of mine who has the .300 does the same thing would good results.  He seems to get better case life.

I think your right Roper about starting out with an action and go from there.  It would probably be cheaper for me in the long run, and I would get exactly what I want. 

Next problem, where do I get a ss long action?  I've checked around locally with out much luck.  I would kind of like to stick with a 700 action and not go the full customer route on this.  I just don't have the funds, especially with 2 kids at home.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »
Jason,
From what I've seen, an action costs almost as much as a complete rifle. I'd start with either a new or used rifle. Used might be right up your alley. The last big kicker I bought was from a guy who'd not expected to get his eyes crossed when he pulled the trigger. Got a pretty good deal on that one!
HWD

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
The 700 sps stainless is a good rifle to get, and you can't go wrong with a 300 winnie.  My wife shoots that same rifle in a 300 wsm and a 24" barrel, she has taken elk and mule deer with it.  In fact she packs it more than her stainless model seven in 7mm-08.  I think you will find that it will be a plenty accurate rifle from the factory.  And if not the possibilities are endless with a model 700.

You should take into consideration also that you will need at least a 416 or bigger to kill an IDAHO blackie ;D 
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline jro45

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »
I have one 300 Win Mag . I also have the 300 RUM . IT has a little more recoil. Both are fine rifles.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:38 AM »
That's a lotta gun for the animals you'll be hunting but I'm glad you're avoiding the short mags.  They will be gone soon and brass will be hard to find.  The Remington 700 is as good as it gets in a boltgun.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
I like your rifle choice but I can't say as how I think much of your cartridge choice. I'm not a fan of magnums belted or otherwise but admit the belt is a major turn off for me. It serves no useful purpose other than on the original two H&H rounds which really didn't have adequate shoulder to headspace on thus it was useful there.

Had someone been wise enough to emulate the case minus the belt and begin making cartridges that way I think they would have been far better for it. But they didn't chose to do so thus we have a plethoria of belted magnum rounds.

I currently own a grand total of one such the .257 Weatherby a round I wanted to own since the days of my youth before my age began with a 2 and still had a 1 at the front. I must say I wish I'd not waited so long to get it as it is a very mild mannered round easy on the shoulder, easy to load accurate rounds for and just an all round pleasure to own and shoot.

I have owned a single .300 Win Mag as well and I must say it sure didn't take me long to dump that one. I bought two boxes of factory ammo for it. I don't recall the brand name but one box was loaded with 150s and the other with 180s. I began with the 180s and think I fired only three from that box. That was one painful experience. By that time my right shoulder was already in need of rotator cuff surgery and if it hadn't been prior to then it certainly needed it afterward. I put it away and finished my shooting session with rimfires that day. Next time out I shot a few rounds from the box with the 150s. I think I got six of those fired. I never even got the scope adjusted to sight the rifle in the pain in my bum shoulder was just too great.

So that rifle was up for trade after having been fired a grand total of nine rounds. The rifle was a very limited edition Remington put out quite a number of years ago. It basically was the Mountain rifle with a really nice quality synthetic stock not like the cheaper ones now commonly in use with SS metal and I think in ADL not BDL configuration. I took it to a gunshow in B'ham and traded it for another just exactly like it except chambered to .270 Win. That rifle I later gave to my olest son Bobby since to that time he had killed every deer he had taken with it. He borrowed it each deer season and returned it to me at the end of season to be cleaned and stored away for him until next season. I stopped that practice by making him a present of it one CHRISTmas complete with the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 scope mounted on it and no more than he shoots it a likely life time supply of ammo for it.

So my recommendation to you would be to make it a .30-06 not a belted magnum and if you ever feel hte use to which you'll be putting it on a trip requires something more akin to .300 WM performance then load it with Hornady Light Mag or Federal High Performance ammo and you'll be getting within about 50 fps of the same velocity as you'll get with standard .300 WM ammo. Your shoulder will thank you and the animals you shoot with it will never know it was not a .300 WM you used to kill them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
So my recommendation to you would be to make it a .30-06 not a belted magnum and if you ever feel hte use to which you'll be putting it on a trip requires something more akin to .300 WM performance then load it with Hornady Light Mag or Federal High Performance ammo and you'll be getting within about 50 fps of the same velocity as you'll get with standard .300 WM ammo. Your shoulder will thank you and the animals you shoot with it will never know it was not a .300 WM you used to kill them.

Well, within 140 fps with 180grainers anyway according to the Hornady site.
Superperformance 30-06: http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Sprg-180-gr-SST-Superformance/
Standard .300: http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Win-Mag-180-gr-SP/

If that were the case, I would just use the Superperformance in the .300 too and then there would be a 310 fps.  Like I said in my first post, this is a want not a need.  As is the .257 Weatherby, compared to a non belted .25-06 or .257 Bob.

BTW, I know what kind of recoil I am getting into for those of you that will comment on that.  I have a friend with a Sendero in the .300 WM that I have shot quite a bit, so I know what to expect.  This is a want, not a need as I have a .280 that will basically handle what the .300 would.  I will be hunting black bear in Idaho this fall, and within the next few years, I will hopefully be doing some elk and moose hunting.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »

Well, within 140 fps with 180grainers anyway according to the Hornady site.
Superperformance 30-06: http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-Sprg-180-gr-SST-Superformance/
Standard .300: http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Win-Mag-180-gr-SP/

If that were the case, I would just use the Superperformance in the .300 too and then there would be a 310 fps.  Like I said in my first post, this is a want not a need.  As is the .257 Weatherby, compared to a non belted .25-06 or .257 Bob.

Yes, 300fps diff is about the right difference in the 300 & '06 with equal pressure reloads, until you get to 200 gr. & heavier & then it grows a little more. You will like the 300WM, I have a Lam. stock Sendero that is a great performer & due to the wt. it doesn't feel bad at all. The SPS is lighter, but I think they now have that new soft pad.  The Rem is a good way to go with the 300WM because you get a 375 length mag. & can seat the bullets at a length to enhance performance even more.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Coyote Hunter

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
jasonprox700 –

If the .300 WM is an itch, don’t let anyone talk you out of scratching it.

I hunted with a 7mm RM for 20 years and always wanted a .300 WM.  Nothing wrong with the 7mm RM or the way it performed, and it fact it was and still is a boringly reliable elk killer.  (That’s a good thing.)

Back in 2004 I found a new Ruger MKII with the “canoe paddle” stock.  The stock wasn’t very popular and the price was very right.  I have absolutely no regrets about buying the rifle even though it hasn’t done anything I couldn’t do equally well with the 7mm RM.

At the time it was my first .30.  These days I have a .30-30, .308 Win, two .30-06s and the .300 WM.  All are fun, all are useful and I wouldn’t want to let any of them go.

Get the .300 while you have time to enjoy it.

Coyote Hunter
NRA, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

Offline jro45

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 02:19:27 AM »
No I have never heard of it. I have two 1 300 win mag and 1 300 rum. they both keep me happy.