Author Topic: Hornady 200 gr FTX Bullets  (Read 605 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Hornady 200 gr FTX Bullets
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:42:35 AM »
Has anyone reloaded the Hornady 200 grain FTX bullets designed for the 460 S+W Mag in a 45 LC or 454 Casull ? Reviews are good for them out of the 460.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Hornady 200 gr FTX Bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
I've loaded a limited amount up in 45LC.  I shot them out of a 460 though.

Accuracy was better than what I was getting with 250gr XTP's and 250 Hardcasts, nothing amazing, but not bad by any means.  Shooting them out of an actual 45LC would probably yield better results.  Recoil was pretty modest as well.

+1 to the great accuracy out of a 460 load.  I've found the FTX bullets work very well in all my guns (44 mag, 45-70, 500, 460, and hopefully soon a 357).

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »
They have proven to be very good shooters across the entire line. The one thing you need be conscious of is intended or designed velocity perimeters.
The 460 operates at far higher velocities than even the hottest loaded 45 colts. If your shooting paper, have fun and no worries, if your shooting game, look for a different bullet.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline doetag

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
  I am curious about this bullet also. Would it not be about the same as a ballistic tip, a Hollow point with a rubber tip instead of plastic. I am sure the jackets would be different. I have had no experiance with it, but would like to try it in something a little faster than it was made for.
BIGGER and faster is always better !