Author Topic: Lee Collet Dies  (Read 355 times)

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Lee Collet Dies
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:10 PM »
I use the Lee collet dies to reload my 25-06.  Never had any real problems.
However, I noticed in the manual it says you should not reload any brass that was NOT fired in your gun.
Does that mean literally what it says?  Will I harm the dies if I use bulk brass for reloading?  Not real happy about buying new ammo, then firing them just to get brass.
Please tell me this is not a huge issue.
Tight Lines and Ten Rings

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Lee Collet Dies
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
No you will not harm the brass, the reason for neck sizing only is that each chamber is slightley defferent. When you fire a cartridge in your rifle you will have a perfectley fire formed case for your rifle. Having a case fire formed to your chamber give you 2 advantages, one the case is worked very little and give you much longer case life, and two a case fire formed to your chamber will give you better accuracy. Using cases fired in another rifle may give you ammo that will not fit your gun, or may fit your chamber very sloppily.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
Strikenmike,

Just full length resize the brass first. After you fire the brass inside your rifle, you can then use the collet die on them.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
My collet die set does not have a full length sizing die, so I guess I need to buy one.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 03:57:53 PM »
Yes, you should have a full length sizing die in your inventory Steve. Eventually the neck sized only cases are going to get hard to chamber because the shoulder will become blown out too far and you'll have to either use a bump die on them or full length resize them again. I usually get around 5 loads from each brass when I use just the Collet die. Then I bump the shoulder of each case back a bit with a Redding bump die. Before I bought the bump die, I just full length resized the brass with the full length sizing die that came with the Deluxe Collet die set.
Mike

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
"Please tell me this is not a huge issue."

Okay.  It isn't a huge issue.  The caution you mention has nothing (direct) to do with your collet die, only that any neck sized cases from other rifles may not fit into your rifle.  But, your bulk (virgin) brass will be fine, at least initially.

No matter what neck sizer you use or what cases you use, you will need to FL size from time to time anyway so, yes, an FL is in your list of things to get.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Strikenmike

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  As soon as I can find some 75 grain V-Max bullets I will be sending in an order, so I will add the full length die.

By the way Skunk, I almost lost my Chili dinner watching that Packer game.  Doesn't anyone play defense anymore?

Offline Skunk

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
It was just disgusting Mike. Neither one of those teams really deserve to advance any further into the playoffs playing zero defense. But, if a fellow was wanting an offensive shootout, that was the game to watch. That reminds me, I can take down my Packer banner now. ;)
Mike