Author Topic: Hazard Powder Co. - Artillery, pressed powder charges.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Hazard Powder Co. - Artillery, pressed powder charges.
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:00:58 AM »
I had heard of the "Hazard Powder Company" before, and knew that pressed powder cartidges were made for small arms during the Civil War, but I wasn't aware that pressed powder charges were also manufactured for artillery.

Pressed Powder Charges

Pressed Powder Charges
By Terry A. White

As you may all know, the Hazard Powder Company located in Hazardville, Connecticut, manufactured pressed powder cartridges for small arms during the American Civil War. The most common of these was for the .44 caliber Army revolver, and universally called the Hazard cartridge (Figure 1). R. Ogden Doremus and Bern L. Budd were medical doctors in New York City. They received patents #34,724 and #34,725 on March 18, 1862, for their "pressed powder" cartridges. With no manufacturing skills, the two doctors partnered with the Hazard Powder Company to manufacture the cartridges. Patent #34,724 covered the pressing of black powder into a cake, while #34,725 covered the attachment of a bullet to that charge to make a cartridge. Doremus and Budd also received a third patent, #34,744 dated March 24, 1862, which detailed the waterproofing of their pressed powder cartridges.

What is less known is that Hazard also manufactured and sold "pressed powder" charges for artillery. They made "pressed powder" charges for the 10, 20, 30, and 100-pdr. Parrott rifle, the 12 and 24-pdr. and 11-inch Dahlgren howitzer, and for the 6 and 12-pdr. James rifle. Other than materials located at the National Archives, Washington D.C., very little information is found on the artillery pressed powder charges.

Depending on the gun, a set amount of cannon powder was placed into a brass mold. (The diameter of each mold was one-tenth of an inch smaller then the desired caliber to allow for easy loading.) The powder was then pressed in the molds using 10 to 30 tons of pressure for a specific period of time to form the powder cakes. Once formed, the powder charge was removed from the mold and placed in a zinc container and labeled. The preprinted, paper label was applied to the lid and detailed the contents, intended weapon, patent date, manufacturer and directions (Figure 2).

Figure 3 illustrates a pressed powder charge for the 12-pdr. Dahlgren boat howitzer and its zinc container. Due to the ravage of time, some of the powder charge on this speciman has been chipped away leaving it shorter in overall length. The zinc container is 2.125 inches in diameter and 4.25 inches long. A small number of the 12-pdr. Dahlgren boat howitzer charges had an experimental sabot attached prior to shipment from the Hazardville powder mill, but whether it worked successfully, is unknown. Figure 4 illustrates a label for a 10-pdr. Parrott rifled cannon. It is not known if any other pressed powder charges exist in collections today.

While the exact number of powder charges shipped from the factory is unknown, it is estimated to be less than 60,000. After the war, the Government sold their surplus pressed powder charges back to the Hazard Powder Company to be reprocessed.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Hazard Powder Co. - Artillery, pressed powder charges.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
Interesting, Thanks for posting!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Thanks John for posting this. 

Pressed charges is a common subject when discussion of the .303 Britsh cartridge comes up on the Martini forums. Black powder .303's used compressed charges.

I'm going post the link on the Martini board.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
I learned to shoot with a martini action   12/15 DD  if you know it..........then BSA bull barrel........then my baby............Anschutz...............I could eject straight onto 4th man down's spotting scope and blow his concentration straight to hell.............as if I would.............Dam Park Hall.. (AYR )  Scottish Championships...happy memories.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
Thanks for posting I had come across compressed charges once before.
NG

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »
I learned to shoot with a martini action   12/15 DD  if you know it..........then BSA bull barrel........then my baby............Anschutz...............I could eject straight onto 4th man down's spotting scope and blow his concentration straight to hell.............as if I would.............Dam Park Hall.. (AYR )  Scottish Championships...happy memories.

You maybe sure that due to the new years , new rules , I will not say anything more .  :P

E mails sending tommorrow :D ;) :) ;D :o  To gaffa , laugh and play raindeer games .... :o  mostly at your expense  8)

Tom you are a genuine ...uhh ... well ... a Study !  ;D  I have learned something of the Scothish Charicter(sp) from you .
I have learned to appericiate it as well .  :o

More than ever I thank my German and Danish heritage .  ;D

So even living in Scotland they let you shoot at something ? With a rifle ? lord ,those can be dangorus , wait, a martinni you say ?  Some folks claim they are rifles , it has been a persistant rumor for years in the states .

Get your rear over here ,we'll show you the gear , and we will lite up the night tonight baby !

Gary  

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
There are some errors in the second paragraph of this article; there is no such animal as an 11-inch Dahlgren howitzer, so it's either an outright mistake, or he might have meant to write XI-inch Dahlgren shell gun, and there was never a 6-pdr James rifle, so the author may have been referring to M1841 6-pdr smoothbores that were converted to 12-pdr James rifles.

I found the 'Directions' interesting on this label for the 10-pdr Parrott cartridge: The ends of the cartridges were formed to fit the breech shape of the bores.
I wonder if there's any record that exists of contemporary (with the Civil War) judgements on the performance of this type of pressed cannon cartridge?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

I found the 'Directions' interesting on this label for the 10-pdr Parrott cartridge: The ends of the cartridges were formed to fit the breech shape of the bores.
I wonder if there's any record that exists of contemporary (with the Civil War) judgements on the performance of this type of pressed cannon cartridge?

I was wondering the same thing.  This is the first time I have seen a reference to this type of charge.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:29:04 AM »
 U.S. Patent issued to R. Ogden Doremus and Bern L. Budd on March 24, 1862.

IMPROVEMENT IN TREATING GUNPOWDER TO FORM CARTRIDGES

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »
I was wondering the same thing.  This is the first time I have seen a reference to this type of charge.

Norm,
The author of this article made it very simple to find the U.S. Patent, and he was also evidently right about there not being a lode of information available on this topic: "Other than materials located at the National Archives, Washington D.C., very little information is found on the artillery pressed powder charges."
I made a search of the Web, and Google Books, using differring phrase combinations, but came up with zilch, except for some other references to the Patent. Maybe this last sentence will provide the impetus for one of the research wizards on the board to turn something up.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »
I know that tapered time fuses for shells are made by compressing blackpowder, and they burn like a very fast flare for several seconds.  I would assume then that this compressed charge would burn at a slower rate than a normal charge.  The question becomes does it produce the same velocity? 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »
When I was searching for info on the pressed cartridges, I came across some things on the pressed powder used in fuses, and I would guess that it is basically the same pressure concept that was used to form cartridges. The Patent information supplied by the two inventor's of this pressure formed cartridge are singing the praises of their idea, and the superiority of their formed cartridge over granulated powder, but of course they would, that's par for the course on a Patent application. One would think that the Army/Navy conducted some tests before the U.S. government ordered this product from the Hazard Powder Co., so those records may be contained in the National Archives.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
It may be that the charge has perforations like progressive smokeless powders so the the burn rate accelerates as it goes.  Has anyone unwrapped one to inspect it?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
T.J. Rodman's perforated-cake/prismatic gun powder, which was designed especially for large bore cannons, used formed prismatic shaped cakes that were perforated to achieve slower burn rates, but there's a detailed description of the method of producing these Hazard Co. "pressed powder charges" in the U.S. Patent, that makes it clear that Doremus and Budd's idea of a "solid cartridge" wasn't similar to Rodman's concept.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:25:48 PM »
http://home.att.net/~mkm-of-enfct/EHS/EHSpowder.html    <--- Hazard Powder Company Bio

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 07:42:27 AM »
Thanks, Rick; I looked for Hazard B/P Co., and I didn't uncover that piece you found.