Author Topic: new to site  (Read 702 times)

Offline no second shot

• Trade Count: (0)
new to site
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »
Just new to the site and had some quick questions...

• i have heard mixed reports on the qaulity of H&R rifles...what say you, the guys that use them?  All the bad info I have heard is second and third hand so I am sure I am not getting the straight goods.
how hard is it to get new barrels fitted?
  • how easy is it to order custom combinations from H&R

Any info would be great...accept that i can already see that this will become anther expensive hobby... :)
No Second Shot

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: new to site
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
Most of the answers you seek are in the FAQs at the top of the page.  All kinda good info there that will keep you enthralled quite a while.  And yes, every bad thing you heard about H&R is true...for the unlearned.  Once you learn the little simple tips and tricks, you will be outshooting the high dollar guns and laughing all the way to the bank...where you will withdraw more money for more Handi's....... ;D

Welcome aboard.  We have our own on-site expert as moderator, and another handful as well on the forum,  so if you don't find what you seek in the FAQs, they will have the answer.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
 First off let me say welcome to the site.

Second the Handi guns are good guns. Some times you have to fine tune them. But for the price? yes they are good guns. Several addicts here have multitudes of them. ;)

Getting a barrel fitted has more issues than the guns them selves. If you read the FAQ on the top of the H&R page you can fit one faster than the company. Barrel avalability is a big draw back at the company. But yes you can send in and have other barrels put on.

There will be more fellers along shortly to fill in the blanks. Welcome to your new addiction :D

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
Welcome! There are no custom combinations from H&R, what you see on their website is it, although you can mix and match stocks, all of their single shot stocks and forends except some shotgun forends will fit all frames. Accessory barrel info is on their website also, you can also fit second hand barrels if you're handy, see the FAQs and help sticky for more on that and lots more.  ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BrianB

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
You'll probably get a lot of responses to this one.  Here's my opinion. It is an inexpensive, very accurate rifle that you don't have to worry about beating up in the woods.  Since getting into them, my high-end guns have slowly spent more and more time in the safe until this year when my once-favorite High Wall never even made it out.

Offline no second shot

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
Welcome! There are no custom combinations from H&R, what you see on their website is it, although you can mix and match stocks, all of their single shot stocks and forends except some shotgun forends will fit all frames. Accessory barrel info is on their website also, you can also fit second hand barrels if you're handy, see the FAQs and help sticky for more on that and lots more.  ;)

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

thanks for the info so far guys.

A question to what Tim eluded to above- I have been on the H&R website and am a bit confused on how to order what i want...what i want is a synthetic/stainless in a 7-08 Rem but on the website there is no such beast...
No Second Shot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
That's cuz they don't make them now or have ever made a stainless 7mm-08, the only way to get there is a custom stub using a stainless donor stub which have only been made in a few rifle chamberings, 223, 22-250, 243, 270, 30-06, 444 and 45-70, or a blued stub plus a stainless blank, see stubbing in the FAQs.... or have a .223 or 243 rebored.  The only stainless frames have been in 444 and 45-70, all the others have been matte nickel.

Tim

Offline no second shot

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »
so what your saying is...I'm am SOL...  :'(

Guess I'll have to live with blued barrell and get a synthetic stock or one of the fancy laminated ones.

thanks for the info...I have learned more on this site in one afternoon than I have in the last 13 months looking at H&R's and trying to gain info from the "locals"
No Second Shot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
It just depends on how bad ya want one, I have several custom chambers and bores in H&Rs, but it costs money, as much as a bolt gun or Encore, but I like Handis.  8) A custom stub or rebore will cost ~$300 plus the cost of the donor parts. I sent a 243 Superlight barrel to site sponsor Wayne York to be rebored to .264" for a 260 Remington, I want a light deer rifle, as light as I can get it, don't care for the 243 chambering for deer. I have a set of the new style checkered synthetic stocks to put on it, it should weight less that 7lbs with scope when all is said and done.  I have a 6.5x55 Ultra, but it's got a heavy contour 26" Shilen barrel, shoots lights out, but it's just no fun to carry on long hunts and I'm gettin too old to be a pack mule!!  ;D

Good luck in your quest.  ;)

Tim

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:31:26 PM »
hey no-second-shot !!! WELCOME.....
u inna right place... jus kick back an enjoy tha ride.  ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »
Welcome aboard, better buckle up, this is a fast ride to madness. ;)   If ya wanna spend some money, ya can have what ya want.  Better keep yer eyes open for a 444 or 45-70 stainless and then get the barrel ya want and roll yer own. ;D  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Welcome! I hunt strictly with H&R/NEF rifles, shotguns and rimfires. I love the fact that they go bang every time I pull the trigger so my opinion of them is very high. They're nice and light/easy to carry, too.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:56 AM »
Hey no second shot

I just bought a 7mm-08 and a Choate varmint stock and a checkered synthetic fore end. The fore end is a little tight right now, but I am going to float the barrel and sand down the fore end! This is a beautiful gun, but a lot of people may prefer the normal synthetic stock (which is fine). I bought the gun new in box for $229 and the stocks for $83 including shipping. I hope this helps.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »
Who says these guns save you money.  Since my addiction I would say I have spent way more money than when I was into "bolts".  Of course i have a lot more chamberings,than if I stuck to bolt guns.  I've done the Thompson center thing for a while too, but I just keep coming back to the handis.

Welcome and enjoy!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
Read every letter in the fag's and you will no longer have to rely on half truths ,rumor or just plain falsehoods from the uninformed folks who know what they think about H&R's. Every thing in there is facts about H&R you will no longer have to wonder what they are like you will know and then you can spread the facts instead of inuendo. enjoy Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline no second shot

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:39 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.  I am still undecided on what to buy but I am getting closer... :)

I was eying up a T/C but now I think I will just buy 2 H&R's   ;D ;D ;D
No Second Shot

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
That is a great idea!
 ;)

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi