Author Topic: S&W J-FRAME ???  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
S&W J-FRAME ???
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:20:07 PM »
Greetings,

Which of the following would you choose for self defense, and why;

1: 2" M36 non-plus P 38 SPL
2: 4" M631 in 32 H&R mag

I'm torn between the larger caliber of the 38 and the 6th round in the 32 & totally unsure of the difference between the 2" & the 4" barrels.

??? ??? ???

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: S&W J-FRAME ???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
I would take the 38 special over ANY 32, mag or other wise. Look at the Model 60 Smith if you haven't bought already. I have owned 3, and I carry one now. Then you have the option of carrying 357 mag ammo, OR 38 special in the same gun.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »
I would take the 38 special over ANY 32, mag or other wise. Look at the Model 60 Smith if you haven't bought already. I have owned 3, and I carry one now. Then you have the option of carrying 357 mag ammo, OR 38 special in the same gun.

I already have both, and do not have the funds to buy anything new at this time, so it will be one or the other.
I am about to go thru the process to get my CCW permit, so will have to decide.
They both handle about the same for me, but I am unsure of the difference in ballistics.
I did try a few rounds of +P RP 158 LSWC-HP in the M36 just to see how it felt - it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fun either.
This is an older gun & not rated for +P, so I don't think it would be wise to use them.

Thanks for the reply.

:-[ :-[ :-[

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:40 AM »
If you go to www.handloads.org/ , there's a chart on that site that shows one shot stopping power of virtually all handgun rounds.  You might find that to be a useful tool for comparison purposes.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
merle:  I would ask if you reload, but if you do not I would still go with Dee and recommend the 38 Spl.  You do not need +P loads in a 38, any standard pressure 158 gn semiwadcutter slugs from any of the major manufacturers will work for personal defense.  If you reload then all the better as you can increasse bullet weight without increasing pressure. 

The 32 H&R Magnum and the new 327 are neat calibers - probably pretty good for small game and field work but (and I don't give a dang about what the gun writers say) there is no way any 32 revolver is going to come close to a 38 for personal defense. 

And please understand that regardless of the size of the hole in the barrel a bullet has to hit to be effective.  jmtcw.

Offline aimhard

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »
Hands down, the 38 with a heavy bullet or +p as a minimum.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 03:02:35 AM »
If you go to www.handloads.org/ , there's a chart on that site that shows one shot stopping power of virtually all handgun rounds.  You might find that to be a useful tool for comparison purposes.
GH1 :)

Thank for the link. I went in & looked at it, but it does not have the 32 mag. Still a lot of good info, though.

8) 8) 8)

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:09:50 AM »
merle:  I would ask if you reload, but if you do not I would still go with Dee and recommend the 38 Spl.  You do not need +P loads in a 38, any standard pressure 158 gn semiwadcutter slugs from any of the major manufacturers will work for personal defense.  If you reload then all the better as you can increasse bullet weight without increasing pressure.  

The 32 H&R Magnum and the new 327 are neat calibers - probably pretty good for small game and field work but (and I don't give a dang about what the gun writers say) there is no way any 32 revolver is going to come close to a 38 for personal defense.  

And please understand that regardless of the size of the hole in the barrel a bullet has to hit to be effective.  jmtcw.

OK, thanks. What I was trying to do is estimate the value of one extra round in a 4" barrel, where I might get some expansion. I do handload, but am not set up for the 32 mag. I'm not at all sure how much extra I could get from the 32, as it has a fairly small cylinder & I'm not sure about +P in it. The M36 is not rated for +P, and I have been told that only +P is likely to expand from a 2" barrel. I'm really out of my league here, so appreciate all responses. Part of my problem is that my wife will also be using the same gun. She is 4'-11", weighs about 90 lbs & is a bit recoil sensitive.

:) :) :)

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:53 AM »
Hands down, the 38 with a heavy bullet or +p as a minimum.

OK, thanks. I have learned that the 158 gr shoots to the point of aim, but the lighter loads do not.
I'm pretty sure I want my POI to be real close to POA - I'm not in favor of Kentucky elevation for a serious gun.
Looks like I need to load up some heavier bullets to see what happen with them.

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »
Merle I would also not base my picks of carry calibers or bullet weights on CHARTS. These are calculations that mostly have NO BASIS other than lab energy tabulations and have no real world application records.
The 125 grain jacketed 357 magnum for instance has the best one shot stopping record in law enforcement history, and this info was compiled from ACTUAL POLICE SHOOTINGS, thru FBI NATIONAL STATS, and included ALL CALIBERS used in law enforcement. It is an eye opener, and is reliable information on what actually works in the real world of self defense.
The 38 special offers a wider nose and transfers more energy faster than the 32 mag with or without a hollow point. The hollow point although a plus, cannot be relied on to actually expand the bullet. Many variants can retard that process including the type and or amount of clothing the recipient of the bullet is wearing or not wearing. Go as big as you can on the bullet diameter which is in this case 357 diameter.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:21:44 AM »
Merle I would also not base my picks of carry calibers or bullet weights on CHARTS. These are calculations that mostly have NO BASIS other than lab energy tabulations and have no real world application records.
The 125 grain jacketed 357 magnum for instance has the best one shot stopping record in law enforcement history, and this info was compiled from ACTUAL POLICE SHOOTINGS, thru FBI NATIONAL STATS, and included ALL CALIBERS used in law enforcement. It is an eye opener, and is reliable information on what actually works in the real world of self defense.
The 38 special offers a wider nose and transfers more energy faster than the 32 mag with or without a hollow point. The hollow point although a plus, cannot be relied on to actually expand the bullet. Many variants can retard that process including the type and or amount of clothing the recipient of the bullet is wearing or not wearing. Go as big as you can on the bullet diameter which is in this case 357 diameter.

I quite agree with you about charts, but the one mentioned above is based on a number (as indicated) of actual shootings. That makes it a bit more believeable in my eyes, but I still look at the 357 mag results to see where they stand. Then I "adjust" my faith in the chart to suit. Since I have no real world experience with either of these two, I am looking for some help.

I too am an old dog, and a fan of the 357 Mag. Sadly, this gun must be something my petite wife can shoot effectively too, thus my consideration of the 32 Mag. Later on, when I can afford it, there will be better guns to choose from, but for now I am handicapped to these two choices. Unemployment forces one to make unplesant choices.

Thanks for the input.

:( :( :(

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:23:36 AM »
My wife carries a chief air weight in 38 special. She's 65 yoa and has arthritis, but can handle it very well.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
My wife carries a chief air weight in 38 special. She's 65 yoa and has arthritis, but can handle it very well.

Mine hasn't quite hit 60 yet, but the real problem (as far as I can tell) is that she is afraid of recoil.
Drives me nuts sometimes, but getting her to shoot anything bigger than a 22 can be quite a challenge.
I'm still working on it, though.

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »

Mine hasn't quite hit 60 yet, but the real problem (as far as I can tell) is that she is afraid of recoil.
Drives me nuts sometimes, but getting her to shoot anything bigger than a 22 can be quite a challenge.

I forgot to mention that my 78 year old mother carries one just like my wife's. Both are recoil shy, but determined live 'ers. ;)

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:56 AM »

I forgot to mention that my 78 year old mother carries one just like my wife's. Both are recoil shy, but determined live 'ers. ;)

Determined - good point!!!

Now that I reconsider, it is likely that she thinks I'll always be there to protect her.
Plus, since nothing bad has happened in many years, she is probably getting complacent.
Since that may not always be the case, I need to stress self reliance.
Maybe that will get thru to her.

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT !!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
merle:  may I please suggest that in teh interim you let, or encourage, your wife become as good with that 22 as possible and then begin working up the ladder to the 38; even if it takes a while, being better with a 22 is better than not being able to effectively handle a 38 and becoming a victim.  Complacency is known to be fatal..

There are many more advantages to the 38 than the 32s and Dee is absolutely correct with  the 38 offering a wider nose and transfering more energy.  I would also like to add aimhard's suggestion to use heavier bullets because you do not need increased pressures (+P) to add deadly effectiveness to heavy bullets.  There is a thread further down this forum by Louisiannaman on heavy bullets in 38s and 32s and it is worth the read.  In addition, low pressure target loads (wadcutters) are widely avialble in 38 spl and they are soft shootin' from my airweight snubbie.

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Merle, I would agree with Mikey here. I NEVER practice with full house protection loads. I practice with a light 38 special reload, and I mean around 650fps light. They are not only comfortable they are fun, even after all these years.
When I'm finished practicing I reload with my full house 357 mags. I have used a gun to fight in my life time and trust me. Even though you practice with light loads, you will not notice the recoil or the muzzle blast of full power loads in a fight. But he will.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
My wife has a S&W model 30-1 in .32 S&W Long..
I know it is not a power-house, but she shoots it well.
Better a lesser round on target than a greater round missing
from being scared to practice with it.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
merle:  may I please suggest that in teh interim you let, or encourage, your wife become as good with that 22 as possible and then begin working up the ladder to the 38; even if it takes a while, being better with a 22 is better than not being able to effectively handle a 38 and becoming a victim.  Complacency is known to be fatal..

There are many more advantages to the 38 than the 32s and Dee is absolutely correct with  the 38 offering a wider nose and transfering more energy.  I would also like to add aimhard's suggestion to use heavier bullets because you do not need increased pressures (+P) to add deadly effectiveness to heavy bullets.  There is a thread further down this forum by Louisiannaman on heavy bullets in 38s and 32s and it is worth the read.  In addition, low pressure target loads (wadcutters) are widely avialble in 38 spl and they are soft shootin' from my airweight snubbie.

Since it is a S&W kit gun, the 22 would be a good understudy & trainer. I am more than willing to let her shoot it as much as she wants & have a lot of 22 ammo. She used to shoot IHMSA metallic silhouette & hunt with me, so is not a total stranger to guns. She is just not enthused about bigger guns & self defense - I'd have to agree with complancy being a serious problem. Things are slowly going downhill around us, and I need to get her more concerned & more experienced in bigger guns as I am away from home a lot these days.

I read the string you mentioned about heavier bullets in the 38 & will definately work up some loads. I always favored hard cast SWC for hunting in my Ruger 45 Colt, so would probably start with a similar bullet for the 38. So far I have only loaded powderpuff loads to keep the recoil down for her. I'll never get her to shoot something that hurts her hand.

I am also interested in getting a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips (when finances permit), as I think that would be an advantage that would really help in the dark. No switches - just pick it up, grip it & it's ready to go. Anything that would build her confidence would be welcome.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
Merle, I would agree with Mikey here. I NEVER practice with full house protection loads. I practice with a light 38 special reload, and I mean around 650fps light. They are not only comfortable they are fun, even after all these years.
When I'm finished practicing I reload with my full house 357 mags. I have used a gun to fight in my life time and trust me. Even though you practice with light loads, you will not notice the recoil or the muzzle blast of full power loads in a fight. But he will.

I agree with the light loads for practice & have developed a very light load with the Hornady 158gr swaged LSWC-HP and Unique powder. Shoots one ragged hole, but not good for much of anything larger than a rabbit.

I understand about not noticing the recoil when things get serious - I used to think that a 30-06 going off would get my attention, but it didn't that day. Got to experience the infamous slow-motion effect too. I'm used to having a 45 ACP, 44 SPL or 357 Mag to choose from, but ...... That's why I am so concerned about smaller caliber effectiveness - I'm on strange ground there.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »
My wife has a S&W model 30-1 in .32 S&W Long..
I know it is not a power-house, but she shoots it well.
Better a lesser round on target than a greater round missing
from being scared to practice with it.

Yep - I've heard that (or a slight variation thereof) a hit with a 22 does more good than a miss with a 44.
Plug in the calibers of your choice.

Thanks.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
Let me add too the confusion.
My daughter is a small woman and she is so liberal I think she gave Obama instructions.
She has always been anti guns, until some recent incidents, in the school that she works at as a counselor, has made her reconcider being a pacifist.
The shooting has been put on hold as she is pregnant---but---It will resume.
She has no background to even consider what she can do. I have come to some conslusions that I can't come to any conclusions for her.
We will start out with a .22, then, after a seesion or two I will introduce her to the PPK .380--maybe the LW .38 and any other she chooses to experiment with.
I am making plans---based on HER decisions---to provide the weapon she chooses to settle on. Even a .327.
There is a fellow in Tennessee who can convert any J-frame Smith to a .327 mag---and I prefer she be armed than un-armed.
Anywho a .327 in a J-frame holds some interest, even for me. Sounds like a fun shooter.
Does anybody here have any experience with the recoil from a .327 that are willing to share a revalation of comparisions.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »
Let me add too the confusion.
My daughter is a small woman and she is so liberal I think she gave Obama instructions.
She has always been anti guns, until some recent incidents, in the school that she works at as a counselor, has made her reconcider being a pacifist.
The shooting has been put on hold as she is pregnant---but---It will resume.
She has no background to even consider what she can do. I have come to some conslusions that I can't come to any conclusions for her.
We will start out with a .22, then, after a seesion or two I will introduce her to the PPK .380--maybe the LW .38 and any other she chooses to experiment with.
I am making plans---based on HER decisions---to provide the weapon she chooses to settle on. Even a .327.
There is a fellow in Tennessee who can convert any J-frame Smith to a .327 mag---and I prefer she be armed than un-armed.
Anywho a .327 in a J-frame holds some interest, even for me. Sounds like a fun shooter.
Does anybody here have any experience with the recoil from a .327 that are willing to share a revalation of comparisions.
Blessings

Glad to hear your daughter is coming around. I have had a few liberal friends over the years, who changed sides AFTER being mugged or robbed! My plan is to let my wife work with the 22, then with the 32 H&R mag. Hopefully it won't take long for her to move up to the 38. At any rate, practice with the 22 will be a lot cheaper & she will be more willing to shoot with it. Guess I'll just have to let her move up at her own rate.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 12:52:42 AM »
SS: I once used an old S&W long on a bowling pin shoot just for fun.  The bullets nocked the pins over but flattened and did not penetrate.  I got rid of it and definately would not have one for self defence.  A .22 penetrates a bowling pin. 
Merle:  If you want the sixth round, get a Colt Agent they can still be found and hold six rounds. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline LouisianaMan

• Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 06:10:57 AM »
I've got  Ruger SP101 in .327 Mag, and I believe it or a J frame would be an excellent choice for your daughter--as long as she likes it, of course. Here's why.

When you light it off with 100g Federal JSPs or 115g Speer GDHP, you know it's not a .32 Long wadcutter! The recoil is not painful or anything, but the flash & blast are perhaps like a .38+P or so. The Federal 85g Reduced Recoil JHP is very noticeably milder. Milder still is the .32 HRM. And when she's beginning, load it up with factory .32 S&W Longs for a very mild load.

Let me admit here that I almost spoiled shooting for my older daughter a couple of years back, when she was about 16, by having her shoot Airweight 637 and 642 with ammo ranging from Fed 110g Reduced Recoil & Winch 110g STHP up to Winchester 130g +P SXTs and Fed 129g +P Hydra-Shoks. My wife and younger daughter didn't like 'em in those ultra-light guns, but weren't as rattled by the experience as elder daughter, who became flat-out scared to shoot anything starting with a "3" after that. She was still fine with a .22.

Well, dummy here finally had a smart idea, and swapped the Airweights towards a S&W Mod 30-1 in .32 S&W Long and a Ruger SP101 in .327 Mag. Both are steel frames & heavier than the Airweights. Both still fit my girls' hands well (an original consideration for the Airweights). After I swapped out a couple springs to lighten trigger pull for her, older daughter quickly got comfortable shooting the factory .32 Longs, and we moved her up to a handload featuring a 115g LFP at 770fps--it'll punch thru 6 milk jugs of water, as I've reported elsewhere. She is not ill-armed with that 30-1. And a .32HRM handload moves the same bullet at 979fps from the Ruger, which wife & younger daughter have fired.

I'm almost finished up gathering a bunch of Mods 32-1 and 33-1 in .38S&W to standardize everything for my girls, though, and will load this old cartridge up to near .38SPL for those who can handle it, or milder for older daughter if necessary. These guns are same frame, width, etc. as the 30-1.

Sorry to bore with the details, but wanted to show that the .32SWL can be beefed up, as can the .32HRM if desired. The .327 IS INDEED beefed up. It is VERY versatile. And according to those who have a lot more experience than I do, anything .32 with a flattish nose is more effective than any .22. And any .22 is better than nothing, by far, and will keep most BGs looking elsewhere for someone to bother. We men have gotten so interested in ballistics that we often get too far away from the basics. :-)

Best of luck with i!
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 06:17:42 AM »
SS: I once used an old S&W long on a bowling pin shoot just for fun.  The bullets nocked the pins over but flattened and did not penetrate.  I got rid of it and definately would not have one for self defence.  A .22 penetrates a bowling pin. 
Merle:  If you want the sixth round, get a Colt Agent they can still be found and hold six rounds. 8)

Thanks for the info on the 32 S&W long. I would love to get another gun, but finances will not permit it at this time.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 06:25:53 AM »
I've got  Ruger SP101 in .327 Mag, and I believe it or a J frame would be an excellent choice for your daughter--as long as she likes it, of course. Here's why.

When you light it off with 100g Federal JSPs or 115g Speer GDHP, you know it's not a .32 Long wadcutter! The recoil is not painful or anything, but the flash & blast are perhaps like a .38+P or so. The Federal 85g Reduced Recoil JHP is very noticeably milder. Milder still is the .32 HRM. And when she's beginning, load it up with factory .32 S&W Longs for a very mild load.

Let me admit here that I almost spoiled shooting for my older daughter a couple of years back, when she was about 16, by having her shoot Airweight 637 and 642 with ammo ranging from Fed 110g Reduced Recoil & Winch 110g STHP up to Winchester 130g +P SXTs and Fed 129g +P Hydra-Shoks. My wife and younger daughter didn't like 'em in those ultra-light guns, but weren't as rattled by the experience as elder daughter, who became flat-out scared to shoot anything starting with a "3" after that. She was still fine with a .22.

Well, dummy here finally had a smart idea, and swapped the Airweights towards a S&W Mod 30-1 in .32 S&W Long and a Ruger SP101 in .327 Mag. Both are steel frames & heavier than the Airweights. Both still fit my girls' hands well (an original consideration for the Airweights). After I swapped out a couple springs to lighten trigger pull for her, older daughter quickly got comfortable shooting the factory .32 Longs, and we moved her up to a handload featuring a 115g LFP at 770fps--it'll punch thru 6 milk jugs of water, as I've reported elsewhere. She is not ill-armed with that 30-1. And a .32HRM handload moves the same bullet at 979fps from the Ruger, which wife & younger daughter have fired.

I'm almost finished up gathering a bunch of Mods 32-1 and 33-1 in .38S&W to standardize everything for my girls, though, and will load this old cartridge up to near .38SPL for those who can handle it, or milder for older daughter if necessary. These guns are same frame, width, etc. as the 30-1.

Sorry to bore with the details, but wanted to show that the .32SWL can be beefed up, as can the .32HRM if desired. The .327 IS INDEED beefed up. It is VERY versatile. And according to those who have a lot more experience than I do, anything .32 with a flattish nose is more effective than any .22. And any .22 is better than nothing, by far, and will keep most BGs looking elsewhere for someone to bother. We men have gotten so interested in ballistics that we often get too far away from the basics. :-)

Best of luck with i!

Thanks for the info. Both of my S&W's are steel frame, so that helps in the recoil department. I am especially interested in working up some heavy bullet non plus P loads for both the 38 spl & the 32 H&R mag. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that heavy-for-caliber bullets improve performance, as I used to do that for 44 spl & 45 Colt in the good old days.

;) ;) ;)

Offline LouisianaMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
Merle,

Although we all like to improve our odds with gun/caliber/load selection, no choice guarantees success.  You've improved your family's odds by choosing a gun your wife will shoot. The 38SPL is better for me & you, but not for *your* wife. .38SPL WCs probably kick about the same as my "heavy" .32s, but your wife doesn't perceive it that way.

My .32 cal. 115g loads come from Ed Harris, a former tech at American Rifleman & Ruger. I'll PM you how to find his extensive articles.

My .32SWL load is based on his assertion that S&W J frames with model numbers are "strong, modern guns" of heat-treated steel. In his 4" M-31, he gets 850 with a 115g. Since my 30-1 has a 2" bbl, I left it at a conservative 770. My 979fps .32HRM load is one of his, too.

Harris's personal choice for HD is a .45, I think. I also have the greatest respect for the opinions of both Dee and Mikey on this forum. They both have had to do what I (and most of us) have only had to have nightmares about. "Mikey's load" of a 200g @ 700s from a .38SPL is what I've decided to stake my life on, as a private citizen going about a non-controversial daily routine. I don't have to subdue drug gangs, apprehend crackheads in dark alleys, or stop cars on lonely highways. I'm in purely defensive mode.

My personal HD sidearm is a .45LC Mountain Gun with wide-meplat LFP @ 875. I'd be happy with GDHPs, but may have to shoot thru heavy leather furniture while making 20 yard shots, so penetration is both king & queen for me :-) $1+ per shot for Gold Dots is prohibitive.

My wife currently has .38SPL with LSWCs. My daughter, the .32S&W Long with LFPs. They shoot what THEY can handle. If limited to one, I'd select the .32 we can all handle. As I finish standardizing the .38S&W Mod 32/33 platform for my ladies--because I've seen them fumble with different cylinder catches on my Rugers, Smiths & Colts--I'll put one of those snubbies in the car when we go out together, so they can use it if they have to. When alone, I'll take the .38SPL snubbie. Bedside, I'll keep the .45LC. Would I lose sleep if it were your .32? Personally, no. When you have $75 to spare, you could buy a used break-action 20 ga. shotgun to beef things up a bit.

Best of luck!
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline LouisianaMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
BTW, Merle, I load 200g LSWC-K's in my .38SPL with 3.4g Win231, since you must seat deep & crimp over the front shoulder/driving band to get it to chamber. With the 200g LRNs I cast, I can seat out at crimp groove and boost charge to 4.0g Win 231. These are drawn from what I and many on this forum refer to as "Mikey's load." Thanks again, Mikey!

These loads achieve 750 from my 4" guns, 718 from my snubbie. The original factory charge for the LRN was 3.8g, but I think my lot of powder is a little slow. If you can't chrono, I recommend you max out at 3.2g for the deep-seated LSWC-K and 3.8g for the normal-length LRN.

For .32 S&W Long, I load a 115g LFP at crimp groove with 2.8g of my Win 231. .32HRM is 4.0g Win231 with same bullet.

As always, reduce a bit & work up, as YMMV. HTH.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
Merle,

Although we all like to improve our odds with gun/caliber/load selection, no choice guarantees success.  You've improved your family's odds by choosing a gun your wife will shoot. The 38SPL is better for me & you, but not for *your* wife. .38SPL WCs probably kick about the same as my "heavy" .32s, but your wife doesn't perceive it that way.

My .32 cal. 115g loads come from Ed Harris, a former tech at American Rifleman & Ruger. I'll PM you how to find his extensive articles.

My .32SWL load is based on his assertion that S&W J frames with model numbers are "strong, modern guns" of heat-treated steel. In his 4" M-31, he gets 850 with a 115g. Since my 30-1 has a 2" bbl, I left it at a conservative 770. My 979fps .32HRM load is one of his, too.

Harris's personal choice for HD is a .45, I think. I also have the greatest respect for the opinions of both Dee and Mikey on this forum. They both have had to do what I (and most of us) have only had to have nightmares about. "Mikey's load" of a 200g @ 700s from a .38SPL is what I've decided to stake my life on, as a private citizen going about a non-controversial daily routine. I don't have to subdue drug gangs, apprehend crackheads in dark alleys, or stop cars on lonely highways. I'm in purely defensive mode.

My personal HD sidearm is a .45LC Mountain Gun with wide-meplat LFP @ 875. I'd be happy with GDHPs, but may have to shoot thru heavy leather furniture while making 20 yard shots, so penetration is both king & queen for me :-) $1+ per shot for Gold Dots is prohibitive.

My wife currently has .38SPL with LSWCs. My daughter, the .32S&W Long with LFPs. They shoot what THEY can handle. If limited to one, I'd select the .32 we can all handle. As I finish standardizing the .38S&W Mod 32/33 platform for my ladies--because I've seen them fumble with different cylinder catches on my Rugers, Smiths & Colts--I'll put one of those snubbies in the car when we go out together, so they can use it if they have to. When alone, I'll take the .38SPL snubbie. Bedside, I'll keep the .45LC. Would I lose sleep if it were your .32? Personally, no. When you have $75 to spare, you could buy a used break-action 20 ga. shotgun to beef things up a bit.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I am fully aware that no firearm, let alone a handgun can be a 100% guarentee. When I lived in CA there were two eye-opening occurances. One felon soaked up a cylinder full of 45 Auto Rims & still killed the officer before expiring. In another case a druggie on PCP took two cylinders full of 38 spl & kept coming at the officers while they were trying to reload. The only trhing that saved them was a fellow officer arrived with a 12 ga. It took 3 rounds of buck & 2 slugs before putting the guy down for keeps.

I aslo have to (perhaps belatedly) agree that a 32 mag that hits is better than a 38 that misses. I will do my best to get them up to at least a 38 spl 158 gr load, but of course hope it will NEVER be necessary.

In the past I have always carried a 357 mag, 44 spl or 45 ACP with at least 4" barrels. I am still floundering around with smaller guns & snubbies, so value the input from this forum a great deal - I am learning a lot.

Thanks again.

:-[ :-[ :-[