Author Topic: S&W J-FRAME ???  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Merle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: S&W J-FRAME ???
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
BTW, Merle, I load 200g LSWC-K's in my .38SPL with 3.4g Win231, since you must seat deep & crimp over the front shoulder/driving band to get it to chamber. With the 200g LRNs I cast, I can seat out at crimp groove and boost charge to 4.0g Win 231. These are drawn from what I and many on this forum refer to as "Mikey's load." Thanks again, Mikey!

These loads achieve 750 from my 4" guns, 718 from my snubbie. The original factory charge for the LRN was 3.8g, but I think my lot of powder is a little slow. If you can't chrono, I recommend you max out at 3.2g for the deep-seated LSWC-K and 3.8g for the normal-length LRN.

For .32 S&W Long, I load a 115g LFP at crimp groove with 2.8g of my Win 231. .32HRM is 4.0g Win231 with same bullet.

As always, reduce a bit & work up, as YMMV. HTH.

I do have casting equipment, but none of my moulds look like they would be good choices. I presume that we are talking about hard cast so will nose around the web & try to get a small lot to work with.

Once again, thanks to all.

;D ;D ;D

Offline LouisianaMan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Merle,

Yes, the situations you named are indeed the stuff of nightmares. . .only they're true. Unfortunately, the Thompson I'm firing in my avatar picture is too heavy to carry around everywhere  :-)

Nonetheless, I sleep easy because the odds are hugely in my favor. Kind of a civilian version of the "big sky, little bullet" concept that helps combat pilots stay sane. Odds are nobody invades my home; if they do, they're probably burglars seeking an easy score, not an armed confrontation. I don't have to go after them, just respond if they come in here with me. Odds are, the huge majority of them would run or surrender if confronted.

LEOs have to face these BGs on completely different terms, and that's a big reason I could feel comfortable with your .32 as a homeowner, but not as a cop. I'm sure there are instances of civilians facing these "bullet sponge" situations like you described, but I suspect the huge majority of them are LEO situations. Anyone have any stats on such things?

Important disclaimer: anyone who hangs around drugs, gangs, and skuzzy bars can expect large numbers of bad-news confrontations, to include enraged, drug- or alcohol-fueled bullet sponges who are really tough & really hostile, used to being shot & stabbed occasionally. I don't move in such circles, and frankly would never imagine that anyone could live such a lifestyle and even be concerned much about their own safety, much less expect such safety. Merle, you & your wife don't sound like you live that lifestyle, either!  Any of those types who try to score off of you would be stunned to find themselves absorbing hot lead at terminal velocity, and probably would be rethinking their plans hastily as they faded to black:-)

I teach my wife & daughters to shoot by surprise and shoot decisively if they ever have to engage at all--fast & center mass. No empty gestures, no shooting "to wound." If that doesn't work with a .32 or .38, there's a good chance nothing else would suffice, either, as my loads are stout enough to reach CNS if it gets in the way of the bullet. Larger caliber slugs would offer greater likelihood of clipping something that our .38 or .32 might miss by a few hundredths of an inch, but not if my gals can't handle those weapons & therefore won't carry them or can't get decently accurate with them. If your wife can actually achieve an aggressive mindset about it--admittedly tough to do--she & that .32 will be a force to be reckoned with. Don't feel guilty!
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
Merle,

Yes, the situations you named are indeed the stuff of nightmares. . .only they're true. Unfortunately, the Thompson I'm firing in my avatar picture is too heavy to carry around everywhere  :-)

Nonetheless, I sleep easy because the odds are hugely in my favor. Kind of a civilian version of the "big sky, little bullet" concept that helps combat pilots stay sane. Odds are nobody invades my home; if they do, they're probably burglars seeking an easy score, not an armed confrontation. I don't have to go after them, just respond if they come in here with me. Odds are, the huge majority of them would run or surrender if confronted.

LEOs have to face these BGs on completely different terms, and that's a big reason I could feel comfortable with your .32 as a homeowner, but not as a cop. I'm sure there are instances of civilians facing these "bullet sponge" situations like you described, but I suspect the huge majority of them are LEO situations. Anyone have any stats on such things?

Important disclaimer: anyone who hangs around drugs, gangs, and skuzzy bars can expect large numbers of bad-news confrontations, to include enraged, drug- or alcohol-fueled bullet sponges who are really tough & really hostile, used to being shot & stabbed occasionally. I don't move in such circles, and frankly would never imagine that anyone could live such a lifestyle and even be concerned much about their own safety, much less expect such safety. Merle, you & your wife don't sound like you live that lifestyle, either!  Any of those types who try to score off of you would be stunned to find themselves absorbing hot lead at terminal velocity, and probably would be rethinking their plans hastily as they faded to black:-)

I teach my wife & daughters to shoot by surprise and shoot decisively if they ever have to engage at all--fast & center mass. No empty gestures, no shooting "to wound." If that doesn't work with a .32 or .38, there's a good chance nothing else would suffice, either, as my loads are stout enough to reach CNS if it gets in the way of the bullet. Larger caliber slugs would offer greater likelihood of clipping something that our .38 or .32 might miss by a few hundredths of an inch, but not if my gals can't handle those weapons & therefore won't carry them or can't get decently accurate with them. If your wife can actually achieve an aggressive mindset about it--admittedly tough to do--she & that .32 will be a force to be reckoned with. Don't feel guilty!

Thanks for the additional insight.

:) :) :)

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »

A strange comparison.  You can now get a light-weight J frame that is rated for the  the .38 P+, so why limit it to the standard .38 round? 

But to play the game, the .38 is better either way.  By the time you fire that 5th shot, either you will be gone/incapacitated, or the assailant will be gone/incapacitated, so choosing a less effective round just to get a 6th shot would seem to be specious.

And, I once read that in 98% of all shootings by police officers in New York, they end up firing two rounds or less to resolve situtation.

Abandon the male-fantasy dreams of a running gun fight.  Ain't gonna happen.  It would all be over in less than 5 seconds.  .

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »

A strange comparison.  You can now get a light-weight J frame that is rated for the  the .38 P+, so why limit it to the standard .38 round? 

But to play the game, the .38 is better either way.  By the time you fire that 5th shot, either you will be gone/incapacitated, or the assailant will be gone/incapacitated, so choosing a less effective round just to get a 6th shot would seem to be specious.

And, I once read that in 98% of all shootings by police officers in New York, they end up firing two rounds or less to resolve situtation.

Abandon the male-fantasy dreams of a running gun fight.  Ain't gonna happen.  It would all be over in less than 5 seconds.  .

Apparently you missed the point. It's not about a male fantasy - it's about a petite wife who is recoil sensitive & just might miss.

::) ::) ::)

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 11:19:09 AM »

OK, sorry.   Go .38 special, expensive SD rounds.

Best,
Mannyrock