Author Topic: H&R Youth Model 20 Ga Pardner Shotgun?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
H&R Youth Model 20 Ga Pardner Shotgun?
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I'm new to H&R shotguns (don't use any shotguns to speak of) and just picked up an H&R Youth Model 20 Ga Pardner shotgun with modified choke for my son. I checked the owners manual and could not find anything about what kinds of shot it will handle. Are all types of shot safe in these guns?
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: H&R Youth Model 20 Ga Pardner Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
I would think any type shot in 20 ga. will be fine. You will enjoy that little shotgun! I know I like mine a lot and even with full choke in mine it is deadly on deer with slugs out to 70 yds.  ;D
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
All factory 20 gauge loads, in whatever length noted on the barrel (or shorter), would be fine in your new shotgun.

Offline pab1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
Thanks guys! I didn't think I could use slugs in it with the choke. Are there any pressure issues with slugs in a modified choke?
Thomas Paine

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
Pab1,

You have the opportunity to introduce a young person to the shooting sports and hopeful it will be a life long thing for your son. The Pardner is a great gun to start with. I would just like to caution you on the recoil and muzzle blast of these little wonders. IMHO I would start by invest a little extra cash and buy a box of recoil management/low recoil/reduced recoil loads for the new beginner. I did a research for 20 gauge and it looks like Winchester makes a shell called the Winlite Low recoil loads. Just a little advice about noise or muzzle blast and that is the shorter the barrel the more muzzle blast and noise. So I ask that your son has hearing protection while shooting or around shooting. Good pair of safety glasses is a great Ideal too. If you can’t find recoil reduced load, don’t forget that you can take the two recoil pad screws out and add weight to the rear of the butt stock. This will add weight to the gun, which will reduce the recoil. I’m 46 and my 20 ga TDC (Topper Deluxe Classic) is full of 7.5 shotgun shell shot. Start with number 8 shot size in a 2 ¾” 20 gauge reduced recoil load and all the safety protection stuff and you will have a shooter for life.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Froghunter

PS: No pressure issues, just recoil and muzzle blast!

"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline pab1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Winlite loads, I'll pick some up. He's been shooting .22 rifles/handguns and a .32 cal muzzleloader since he was 5 and has shown me up a time or two at the range. I have never been into shotguns, unless you count my .56 cal smoothbore muzzleloader, but figured this would be a good one for him to start out with. If this gun will handle slugs it will be just as versatile as my smoothbore but with the convenience of easily switching loads. We both always wear eye and ear protection at the range and in the field.
Thomas Paine

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
Good suggestions on recoil & muzzle blast frm Froghunter.

Try some cheap Remington Sluggers in the shotgun and see how your accuracy goes. You could try other brand slugs too but the basic foster style would be what I would try. You may be surprised at the accuracy. Plus the 20 ga. has enough meat in the barrel usually to have a smith put a solid mount on it too for scope.

be safe and have fun with it.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »
Don't forget that the youth model will grow with your son. As he gets older replacement stocks are readily available and very easy to change.They can quite often be found in the classifides here for very reasonable prices.Just beware of 1 thing. You are going to have so much fun with this 20ga. You will want one of your own,then you'll see another you like,then another,maybe a rifle next time ......and before you know it.....your addicted.   Another Handiholic is born.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline pab1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
You will want one of your own,then you'll see another you like,then another,maybe a rifle next time ......and before you know it.....your addicted.   Another Handiholic is born.

Sounds like the same problem I have with my Contenders and Encores. I have more barrels than I need but always find myself wanting and finding a way to justify another one.  ;D
Thomas Paine