Author Topic: Navy Board Models  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Navy Board Models
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
These are plans for a model of a "17th Century Naval Gun & Carriage Project," and "Battle Station Project," which is a cross section model of a ship's gun deck, and the spar/weather deck above it, (this second model is the one that first caught my attention) from a model ship building website called "Navy Board Models." I'm not sure which would be the most advantageous way (for those with dial-up) of posting the link for this site, so I'm going to post them seperately, and then someone can choose just the one project that might interest them.

17th Century Naval Gun & Carriage Project

Battle Station Project

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Navy Board Models
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
These are pretty cool. Zulu needs to build a full size gun deck section for his cannons!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »
Guess I got a problem, clicked on both, nothing came up except it was telling me there was a problem connection, and it could not do it...I'll try again later.
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
I'll build one in my front yard for a broadside of full scale 32 pounders on ships carriages.  Maybe I'll win another kewpie. ::)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
Might win a visit from the building department! :)

Boom J, thanks for posting that link, there is a lot of information there especially if if you have an interest in plank on frame model ship building.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
Do you need a permit to build a naval warship in your front yard?
I would think you could call it a homeland security measure.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
I remember Cannonmn had posted a couple of museum displays that are now at the Naval Academy

one was a 17th Century section of a ship, I think the outfit that supplied the full scale display to the museum

came to the same link for their research........... same cannon carriage........  
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »
Soot,
I don't know about a permit but it dosen't matter.  My wife won't let me. :'(  Its a down right shame when a warrior has to have permission to prepare for battle.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:29 AM »
I remember Cannonmn had posted a couple of museum displays that are now at the Naval Academy

one was a 17th Century section of a ship, I think the outfit that supplied the full scale display to the museum

came to the same link for their research........... same cannon carriage........ 

Allen,
I remember the thread you're referencing, and if my memory jibes with yours, the museum reproduction was very similar to this scale model.

These two photos are of a 'ships battle station' model manufactured by an Italian company (Mantua Models). The barrels are turned brass, and measure 4-inches long.
I really like the concept of this model; if someone chose to scratch build it they could have a 24-pdr on the gun deck, and a 32-pdr carronade displayed on the weather deck above it. It seems to me like there's only one major drawback, and that is the fact that the 24-pounder on the gun deck would be partially hidden by the deck above it.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Its a down right shame when a warrior has to have permission to prepare for battle.

I should think the "War Department" would understand the importance of homeland security.
Remember Pearl Harbor!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:32:52 AM »
The "battery" at my house consist of 16  large guns.  Only three of them are outside.  The "War Department's" patience is running thin.  And there are so many more to make. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
It would be really cool to combine this with the Nano cannon building to make a fully functional diorama.