Author Topic: Hornady v/s RCBS Dies  (Read 728 times)

Offline David I.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Semi-retired. Love to hunt&shoot.
Hornady v/s RCBS Dies
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:49 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm sorry for any redundancy but.....Has anyone had any experience with the new Hornady Dies? I'm looking to purchase 45-70 dies and Hornady still offers the free 100 bullets. I own RCBS dies in 45 colt (not carbide) and have never had a problem. The free bullet offer is hard to pass up if their dies are any good. Any experienced advise would be welcome, Thank-you.
GUNS AREN'T THE PROBLEM, PEOPLE ARE, TOO MANY DUMB LIBERAL SHEEP.

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Hornady v/s RCBS Dies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
I bought the Hornady dies for my 45-70 and they seem to work just as well as any RCBS or Redding dies I have. the only thing I added to it was the Lee Factory Crimp die. I didn't opt for the free bullets when I got the dies, because i was doing cast only at the time. since then, I've gone to jacketed for hunting.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
With a couple exceptions I prefer Hornady New Dimension dies over any other die mfr and only buy them unless then don't make what I need, their seater die works exceptionally well. The exceptions are the Lee factory crimp die for any rifle chambering, and the Hornet collet die.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
I've got a set for my 308.  The full length sizing die is nothing special, works as well as any, but like Tim said the bullet seating dies are excellent.  I also added a Lee neck sizing die and a Lee crimp die to my set.

Jake

Offline David I.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies. New dies for my new H&R BC is about all I can afford right now along with bullets, cases, powder, and primers! I have to buy these things or my new gun will just be one very large piece of eye candy! I will probably buy the Hornady set, but could you tell me what's not as good about the Hornady crimp v/s the Lee factory crimp? Can I get by with the Hornady crimp?

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
I have RCBS and Hornady and both are fine dies.

Redding is the dies I buy.  I find the quality very good.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:35 AM »
You'll be fine with just what comes in the Hornady box plus a shell holder, especially since you are loading for a single shot 45-70.  The seating die will perform a roll crimp just like most other seating dies.  Where the Lee factory crimp die really shines is if you want to put a crimp on a bullet that doesn't have a crimp groove or if you seat your bullets out beyond the groove.  It's just a nice added convenience for about 10 bucks.

Jake

Offline David I.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »
Thanks wareagleguy and JW307 for the replies. Not being familiar with reloading the 45-70 I have a couple more questions. I was planning on buying the least expensive hard cast 300gr bullets I can find., do they normally have crimp groove or is a groove just for jacketed bullets? I'm also planning on buying some 300gr HP jacketed bullets for hunting but only a small quantity because they will last me a long time. Will the Hornady roll crimp work on non-grooved bullets? The only thing I've reloaded is 45LC using RCBS non-carbide dies on 200gr SWC bullets. Please advise., and please excuse my ignorance. Maybe some of this is covered in the stickys., I'll have to take a look.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
Thanks wareagleguy and JW307 for the replies. Not being familiar with reloading the 45-70 I have a couple more questions. I was planning on buying the least expensive hard cast 300gr bullets I can find., do they normally have crimp groove or is a groove just for jacketed bullets? I'm also planning on buying some 300gr HP jacketed bullets for hunting but only a small quantity because they will last me a long time. Will the Hornady roll crimp work on non-grooved bullets? The only thing I've reloaded is 45LC using RCBS non-carbide dies on 200gr SWC bullets. Please advise., and please excuse my ignorance. Maybe some of this is covered in the stickys., I'll have to take a look.

David I

Don't know if I have ever seen a cast bullet that Didn't have a crimp groove , some have more than one so you can ajust the seating depth , as for the jacketed , its not a good idea to put a hard roll crimp on a jacketed bullet that is not designed for it , what happens is that the crimped case cuts into the jacket and as the round is fired the back part of the jacket can stay in the barrel , and that can cause very bad things to happen on the next shot !  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
I have most manufactures dies. the only one I ever had fail was a LEE die. I prefer to buy REDDING, but most of what I own are RCBS. The biggest problem I had with HORNADY dies was the stem design. But its been changed and is no longer an issue.

I think you will be just fine with the Hornady dies and free bullets. I say go for it and post up what you think once you start using them!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:25 PM »
I have Hornady dies for .308 Winchester, 7-30 Waters, and .223 Remington.  I've only ever had one problem with them.  The .308 dies came with the 7mm seating sleeve installed.  Hornady sent me the correct sized seating sleeve at no charge.  I've used other dies (mostly RCBS and Lee).  For rifle cartridges, I look for Hornady dies first.  For pistol dies, I look for Lee dies first (their carbide dies are pretty cheap and come with the shell holder).

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:33:08 AM »
The only die I ever had fail was the resizing die made by Lyman...but then again I was loading for a case stretching Rem 788....but still, when I bought an RCBS set the problem went away.

I felt that the Lyman die was just too tight and on the other side of the scale (the bench rest dies at about twice the cost) are machined for maximum tolerances.

I dont own any of the expensive dies and use RCBS & Redding. I like the way my Redding die irons out the straight wall case down in the head area while the RCBS is beveled at the die base preventing this.

I would consider buying the Hornady die, specially since Graybeard & quickdtoo like em.

Offline David I.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:46 AM »
Thanks to all for the great info, I will probably buy the Hornady set and shell holder. Now I have to pick out some projectiles, I was considering Midway unless someone has a better source.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:02 AM »
I like Redding dies best. RCBS not as good as they used to be. Unlike CW, I have had real good luck with Lee dies.I have had the older Hornady dies, they were ok,but nothing special. I hear the New Dimension dies are really good. Bottom line is when the wallet is thick, I go for Redding,when thin I reach for Lee.

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
I find Midsouth Shooters Supply to have very good prices.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline wncchester

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
I have dies from maybe a dozen brands, some no longer made, including Hornady.  They all work and work well for me.  Surely we know that any brand that can't do the job would rapidly be gone from the market??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »
i thought the free bullet offer was over
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator