Author Topic: Lost 30-30 deprimer from die  (Read 601 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Lost 30-30 deprimer from die
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
After tumbling and polishing, I was sizing a quantity of 500 brass 30-30 Win. cases that were already deprimed.  Somewhere in the process the depriming pin was forceably and unintentionally extracted from the leading end of the RCBS sizing die.  Where that pin went is now academic.  I can not find it...period.

I have some "hammer shaped" deprimer pins from who-knows-where that look to be the right diameter, however, the shape of the pins are 3X diameter on the "knot" end and 1X diameter on the other (hammer shaped).

Would it be WRONG to lop off the "knot" and insert the remaining 1X diameter pin into the die to continue with depriming other 30-30 cases???

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lost 30-30 deprimer from die
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
Just give RCBS a call , they have been very good about tossing a couple in the mail for FREE , in the mean time , if you have any other RCBS dies just pull the pin from one of those and use it .

Hate to see a bunch of brass damaged or even worse a die over a .25 part .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:03 PM »
I've been known to use a cut-off drill bit of the same diameter to continue reloading until I could get another pin. So no, cut the knot off and carry on. A Dremel and cut-off wheel work well.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
Quote from: stimpylu32
Just give RCBS a call , they have been very good about tossing a couple in the mail for FREE , in the mean time , if you have any other RCBS dies just pull the pin from one of those and use it .

Hate to see a bunch of brass damaged or even worse a die over a .25 part .

stimpy

I believe it was RCBS that gave me those "knot shaped" depriming pins in the first place - for free.  Now I wonder just what part these "pins" are?  I will caliper the 270 depriming pin, cut off the knot if equal diameter, and call RCBS from the office when I get a moment tomorrow.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
UPDATE:

Knot shaped pin is 0.001" in diameter GREATER than the 270 pin.

Knot shaped pin is short and "bottoms out" with insufficient length to deprime.

Knot shaped pin is "brittle".

I'm using the 270 pin and calling RCBS...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Lost 30-30 de primer from die
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »
RCBS used the straight "pins" as decapers for most die sets. LYMAN is the one that's known for the "headed" pins. But I have seen a couple RCBS use a similar albeit different sized "headed" pin.

Stimpy, is correct, if no dealer with parts is close by, call RCBS, the offer excellent CS and will very likely throw a couple in the mail to you!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
Be careful when you are depriming the rest of your brass that you don't bend your new pin and decapping stem.  More likely than not, that decapping pin that you "lost" is stuck in a primer hole with a piece of polishing media beside it.  Check your primered cases and you will likely find it. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
I've been known to use a cut-off drill bit of the same diameter to continue reloading until I could get another pin. So no, cut the knot off and carry on. A Dremel and cut-off wheel work well.

So have I mbopp. I have also took small finishing nails and heated them up and dropped them in motor oil to harden them up. Ain't no big deal at all. We're knocking spent primers out of brass casings here.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »
Thanks Dee, now I know how to fix the decapping die on the 50+ year old Ideal/Lyman 310 30-06 set a friend just gave me.
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
I have went the nail route a number of times over the years.

Several years back I bought bulk packs (25) of RCBS sm and lg pins.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
In the old days we called them decapping rods. My how times have changed. I've bent'em and and straightened'em back out with a hammer, I've broke'em and moved'em out a little farther from the retainer, and I've made'em with nails. It ain't rocket science it's just good ole backwoods ingenuity. Regardless it's all a matter of gettin the burnt primer out so you can poke a new one in, and keep shootin.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
I called RCBS.  The folks there are mailing several new decapping pins as well as a new Uniflow powder measure hopper (under warranty) to replace mine that is currently cracked.  RCBS stands behind its products. 

My RCBS 270 die uses the "hammer headed" style pins.  I surmise that it is brittle to allow it to break rather than tear out or bend the decapping rod in the die.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
I've got some pins of both styles, as well as small and large. It can be a pain sorting it all out, discovering I needed a headed pin when all I had were straight pins.

I've never tried the nail trick, but my M94 WInchester has a hardened fitted nail for a firing pin. It was found broken at noon on opening day, 1981 and no factory pins were available. It's still in there.

It's all part of the trip. I even have a couple bent decapping rods and cracked expander plugs. The early years were hard on the Herter's stuff learning how much and what kind of lube to use. And all that mil-surp brass and crimped primers - what a pain...

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater