Author Topic: Party Time  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Div Arty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Party Time
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »
A friend of mine is turning his 3 car garage into a recreation room.  He has a big flat screen TV, a no hold-em polker table and a 13 ft. wet bar.  It is decorated in a southseas--Pirate theme.  Well, you can't have Pirates running around a bar that long without a swivel gun.  Ask Tropico.  Soooo I went into the shop and started wood chips flying, ala Zulu.  The first pix is of construction.  Stock that size really jumps around till you get it trued and balanced.

The next three are of the finnished product.

This one is to add character for CW.  I couldn't find anyone to dress up for the shot, so I volunteered.

Now the last one looks so good on our coffee table, I don't know if I want to let go.

ron    "The Undecided".

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Party Time
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:10 PM »

This one is to add character for CW.  I couldn't find anyone to dress up for the shot, so I volunteered.

Is that a Calendar picture or what?!!!    ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »

This one is to add character for CW.  I couldn't find anyone to dress up for the shot, so I volunteered.

Concur!!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:23 AM »
A great shot, and a neat little project!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:12:53 AM »

That'd be one for thee cover if'n you'd be askin' me, matey...

Now who can add a bubble with "Arrrrrr" coming out of his mouth?  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:47 AM »
Aye!!!!!! She be a beauty, now where's dat dead man's chest ye be amentioning!!!!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:11:04 AM »
Div Arty,
Great job!  How did you bore it?  I am very interested in this because it is the hardest thing I do with my wooden cannons.  I have to guess that you used a forstner bit with the barrel vertical in a drill press.  You also couldn't go very deep.  Boring end grain is a slow process and dulls your bit very quickly.
What type of wood did you use?  I can see that it is laminated.
Give that one away.  Make another one. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:13:25 AM »
Div Arty,

That mean, ruthless pirate look you're acting out in the photo is very convincing (at least I hope that's acting). ;)
That's a fine looking swivel gun, I can understand why you'd want to hang on to it.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
I think you ought to reshoot that pirate picture with a skull and cross bones flag in the background.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:06:29 PM »
There is a set of wheel hubs in the first pic, what else you got down there?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »
Looks like ZULU has some competition! if this keeps up we will nee a Quaker gun category...... ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
How about "Organic Guns"

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Gonna be interesting if those two guys get a metal lathe.

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
Wow!   Never expected a Kewpie for this craggy old face.  That pix was more of a broadside at CW.
You are correct about boreing end grain Zulu.  I didn't have anything but a Irwin expansive bitt for the 1 5/8' hole.  So with the help of a very large son in law to hold it down, I went at it with a brace.  The wood was just scrap.
GG the only flag I fly barring bad weather is Old Glory, everyday.
       Thank's all for the support.    ron

PS   Soot you will have to wait on the hubs, I have someone looking over my shoulder.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
      Ron, I don't know how we missed this thread; I must not be much of a party animal any more!  Mike and I both love your swivel gun; it looks so realistic.  Does it have a special paint job to replicate that old-time cast iron look?  I bet there will be no cheating at cards in that rumpus room!  What a beauty.  Two thumbs up from Kunze and Couture.

What's next, Ron?

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43:10 AM »
Div Arty.
How deep did you bore it?

Tracy and Mike,
Do you tool guys have any suggestion for boring large diameter (3" to 5") in wood?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:43 AM »

Div Arty.

Tracy and Mike,
Do you tool guys have any suggestion for boring large diameter (3" to 5") in wood?
Zulu

Yes, I think we can offer a suggestion that may work for you in drilling deep, large, end-grain holes in wood.  Although the largest hole we ever drilled in wood, end-grain was a 1.5" dia. hole, 30" long in white oak using a gundrill that we made for lathe use, I think we figured out what type of drill you need.  Let's face it, a gundrill in the 5" dia. size would weigh at least 35 pounds, not good for your drill press motor!!  A light-weight auger, maybe?  They don't exist in the dia. needed.  A modified Forstner?  Can't find in size needed.  So what about those hole saws the electricians use.  Diameter, yes; depth of cut, NO!  Except for one company.  Under wood drills, large diameter, deep hole, we found this company:

http://www.advantage-drillbits.com/auger.html

They make all sorts of drills, but they are the only one we found which make these in all sizes and long lengths:

Carbide Tip Wood Core Drills

For large deep hole wood drilling!
                                                1/2" to 24" diameters any depth!
                                                When you need to core either samples or for inspection
                                                of timbers. Best for cutting seawalls, frames, footers,
                                                bridge inspections. Installation of braces and more.
                                                The carbide tip design ensures clean smooth holes in the toughest wood.  

Powered by a full size drill press or a large lathe, this type of bit could do the job for you , we believe, in a through-hole situation.  You certainly can't break off the end-grain core if you're trying to cut a blind hole.  We have no experience with this company, but the people they sell to have some pretty severe requirements, so their drills are probably pretty good.  They might be expensive too, but we don't know that.

Hope that helps you out as we really like your wood cannons a lot, and don't want you to beat yourself up boring those bores!

Good luck,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 07:34:20 AM »
Mike and Tracy,
Thanks for a good lead!  I have sent off an email requesting some pricing but like you I suspect it will be out of home use range.  I have a large drill press but have never been able to get any advice for boring other than the way I do it.(labor intensive).
I'll let everyone know the pricing if they respond.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Josco

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
Tracy and Mike,
Zulu

Zulu,

How deep do you have to bore the 3" to 5" hole?

Joe

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
Josco,
This 5" dia. hole is 7" deep.

This 4" bore is full length but was done in segments.

This 2 5/8" bore is only 6" deep.  there are no segment breaks in the front of a parrott Rifle.

It depends on what barrel you are doing.  But the way I do them is hard.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
Steady rest and long spaded drill.

Put the unturned wood block in the lathe.  Turn a section a few inches back from the muzzle round. Then fill the round section with Devcon steel. After the Devcon sets, turn the devcon section round.  Set the fingers of the steady rest on this section.   

Use a long drill to drill a pilot hole.

Then make a long spade drill with avhead like the one Mike made for Gary's sabot's and use it like a boring bar.

Line forms here, to tell why won't that work?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
Zulu -

Have you considered a STEEL LINER?   :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
DD,
Make a spade drill?  I'm not sure I know how to do that. ???  You are talking about boring it on the lathe.  I did that on my first barrel on a friends Shopsmith.  All the rest I did on a drill press.
Obviously on a wooden static display, the gun doesn't have to be bored all the way.  As in the above Parrott Rifle, it looks good and i'm the only one who knows its only bored 6".  Of course now everyone on the internet knows. :-\
I can't imagine a 4" or 5" dia. spade bit.  If it was longer than a standard bit how would you keep it from drifting in end grain?  A regular spade bit will drift sometimes.
Zulu

Cat Whisperer,
No steel liners for me in wooden guns.
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
in a drill press it can drift , but if its bored in a lathe it doesnt drift, at least not that much
I just cant explain why
its the same when working with steel
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
By spade drill, I think he means something more like a metal drilling spade drill (see below) than an Irwin SpeedBor.

Above is the cutting edge of a metal cutting spade drill.  In metal, the holder is drilled for coolant; if drilling wood, I would think you would want to supply compressed air both for cooling and chip evacuation.  They are available with very long holders for deep holes.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »

Div Arty.

Tracy and Mike,
Zulu

Yes, I think we can offer a suggestion that may work for you in drilling deep, large, end-grain holes in wood.  Although the largest hole we ever drilled in wood, end-grain was a 1.5" dia. hole, 30" long in white oak using a gundrill that we made for lathe use, I think we figured out what type of drill you need.  Let's face it, a gundrill in the 5" dia. size would weigh at least 35 pounds, not good for your drill press motor!!  A light-weight auger, maybe?  They don't exist in the dia. needed.  A modified Forstner?  Can't find in size needed.  So what about those hole saws the electricians use.  Diameter, yes; depth of cut, NO!  Except for one company.  Under wood drills, large diameter, deep hole, we found this company:

http://www.advantage-drillbits.com/auger.html

They make all sorts of drills, but they are the only one we found which make these in all sizes and long lengths:

Carbide Tip Wood Core Drills

For large deep hole wood drilling!
                                                1/2" to 24" diameters any depth!
                                                When you need to core either samples or for inspection
                                                of timbers. Best for cutting seawalls, frames, footers,
                                                bridge inspections. Installation of braces and more.
                                                The carbide tip design ensures clean smooth holes in the toughest wood.  

Powered by a full size drill press or a large lathe, this type of bit could do the job for you , we believe, in a through-hole situation.  You certainly can't break off the end-grain core if you're trying to cut a blind hole.  We have no experience with this company, but the people they sell to have some pretty severe requirements, so their drills are probably pretty good.  They might be expensive too, but we don't know that.

Hope that helps you out as we really like your wood cannons a lot, and don't want you to beat yourself up boring those bores!

Good luck,

Mike and Tracy

I talked to someone at this company today.  Cost for a bit to drill 3" to 4" holes 6" deep is in the $210 to $800 range depending on which bit you choose.  He did say it would make quick work of the boring.  Sounds like I will continue to "go slow". :(
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Josco

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:19 AM »
Regarding drilling and boring large dia. holes in wood you could do use a Silver & Deming 1 1/2" drill in your lathe's tailstock with extensions then, ( I never done this but it may work in wood) Use a flycutter as a boring bar mounted in your tailstock with extensions  to bore the hole taking light cuts. You increase the dia. by adjusting the tool bit after each cut. 1/2" tool bits are available up to 6" long.
As I said I never tried this but it may work on wood with minimal chatter taking light cuts with the proper grind on the toolbit. (Grizzly Flycutter set of 3 with 1/2" shanks)
http://grizzly.com/products/Fly-Cutter-Set-w-Tool-Bits-1-2-/H5935

Offline Double D

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »

Get a section of thick wall tubing like this, Thick wall tubing Drill and tap the tubing for set screws tohold the fly cutter shaft. Put loctite on the fly cutter shaft insert in tubing and lock with set screws.  On the other end do the set screw thing and insert a piece of 1/2 round stock for a drive shaft  to put in you tail stock chuck.

Offline Josco

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »
DD,

I like your idea of using thick walled tubing for the extension/ extensions, considerably lighter than solid stock. What's your thoughts on using a fly cutter as a boring bar in the tailstock? As I said " I was just thinking off the wall"
I'm fortunate to have an older Delta 12" X 4 1/2 ft bed 16 speed  wood lathe which has a rare original Delta crosslide and compound like a metal lathe and allows me to use all the tooling from my 9" South Bend lathe. It would be nice if the wood lathe mfgs. of today would offer a crosslide & compound as an option.

Regards
     Joe

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
DD,

I like your idea of using thick walled tubing for the extension/ extensions, considerably lighter than solid stock. What's your thoughts on using a fly cutter as a boring bar in the tailstock? As I said " I was just thinking off the wall"
I'm fortunate to have an older Delta 12" X 4 1/2 ft bed 16 speed  wood lathe which has a rare original Delta crosslide and compound like a metal lathe and allows me to use all the tooling from my 9" South Bend lathe. It would be nice if the wood lathe mfgs. of today would offer a crosslide & compound as an option.

Regards
     Joe

I don't know if it will work, but all you can do is try!  If it doesn't work, try some thing else.   I have used an endmill and a drill bit as a short boring bars.

I am going to build a similar set up to bore a piece of steel stock for a cannon using a S&D drill. I only need 11 inches of depth, finished with 1 5/32 chucking reamer if I can find one.