Author Topic: Sierra "Hornet" Bullets  (Read 524 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sierra "Hornet" Bullets
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
I usually use 45 grain Sierra Varminters for my .223 Handi.  Somehow, I ended up with a couple boxes of Sierra Varminters that have "Hornet" printed on the box.  I understand that bullets for the Hornet are generally made with thinner jackets for better terminal performance at .22 Hornet velocities.  How fast can I push these bullets before they start coming apart in flight?  Basically, Im wondering if I can still use them in my .223, which runs around 3300 fps.  I couldn't find any info about this on Sierra's website.  My Hornady book says you can go up to 3500fps with their Hornet's, but I'm not going to assume they are the same as the Sierra Hornet's.

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Contributor
Re: Sierra "Hornet" Bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
The technicians at Sierra are very helpful. Try them at 800-223-8799.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »
The sierra part of my "complete reloading manuel" for .223 has 6 loads listed at 3600, 13 loads at 3300, But that's just load data and not bullet performance, can't tell what happens on game, all I've done is make holes in paper.

26grns of varget with a 2.125 coal gives me moa @ 100 in my 1-12. I know it'll do better.
found elsewhere

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
You never said what the twist rate is on your rifle. This has a big influence on how fast you can push a thin jacket. Like Hornady says 3500 fps, but if you were pushing it through a 1 - 9" twist barrel, you will not get that much velocity before it blows up in mid  air. You may not get that much if you were going through a 1 - 12" barrel, you may have to reduce it to 3300 fps or so. You will just have to try it out to see. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
i think the big differnce in the hornet bullets is that there .224 instead of .223
blue lives matter

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:58:50 AM »
i think the big differnce in the hornet bullets is that there .224 instead of .223

Maybe, just depends on the make. The Hornady Hornet bullets come in both .223 and .224 and have significantly thinner jackets. I've used them in various loads and never had them come apart in the .223, as stated it will depend on the twist and velocity of your gun. Try them out, if you get the tell-tale smudge marks on your target you'll know. I would NOT use them for hunting due to the very likely situation of little or no penetration if you run them at full velocity.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
You never said what the twist rate is on your rifle.

I'm putting them through a 1:12 twist barrel.  I cant imagine anything good coming from any 45 grain bullet through a 1:9 twist barrel.

They're .224.  I think i just picked up the box and didn't notice it said Hornet on it.

I use this load for coyotes and target practice.  With the regular Varminters, it works like a dream.  They leave a .22 sized entrance and no exit.  9 times out of 10 the coyote drops where he stands.  I figured these Hornet bullets would do the same thing provided they get to the target before they come apart.  If the loading manual says they can go 3600fps, it should be ok, but I think i'll double check that with the people at Sierra.  Never hurts to be sure.  Thanks for the input!

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »

Hornet bullets have a different profile than bullets not labeled "Hornet".  They might be .223" or .224".  They'll usually be 40 or 45 grains.  As near as I can tell, they are less "pointed" than non-hornet bullets in the same weight, but they also have thinner jackets to expand reliably at Hornet velocities.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »
Hornet bullets have a different profile than bullets not labeled "Hornet".

Now that you mention it, the Hornets do seem like they're slightly more rounded than the regular varminters.