Author Topic: pointed vs. round  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Re: pointed vs. round
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »
Maintaining velocity is what allows for less drop.  The shorter the time the bullet is in the air between the muzzle and it's intended target, the less time gravity takes it's toll on the bullet drop.  

Here is an article that shows roughly a seven inch drop difference at 300 yards with a 30-30:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/a017.htm

At 250 yards the difference in drop is little....roughly 3 inches.  So, as many of you already stated, inward of 300 yards (with the 30-30 at least) bullet point is somewhat insignificant with reference to bullet drop.

What I find amazing by the article is that a 14" contender barrel matches and maintains velocity as well as a 21" levergun.

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »
There is no denying physics.  I agree that a pointy bullet will show better ballistic performance at range, but beyond that it's all about what the shooter requires.  I've shot lots of both over my career and there was a time when for about 10 years I took all my deer with round-ball loads out of a .54 caliber muzzleloader.  Like most of you, I agree that there is no deer-sized reason to worry about it at ranges under 300 yards.

Like Dee, I"ve carried a Winchester 94 (or Marlin 336) as a patrol rifle and I'm convinced that the lever action rifle has a place in rural law enforcement.  Although he prefers the 150 grain bullets and I like 170s.  For the thickets of north Louisiana, the traditional lever action calibers have collected venison for many, many years.  What's important in those thickets is handiness and compact size.  I'd rather crawl through a thicket with my lever than with my bolt action rifles.

Don't misunderstand.  I'm a big fan of scoped, bolt-action rifles that can reach out across a beanfield and tag a deer.  I'm also a fan of short, handy lever actions where the ranges are short and the shots are quick.   I prefer my levers to have blunt nose bullets and my bolts to have pointy bullets.  However, I'll use each as the circumstances warrant.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
I think some folks might be missing the point that a bullet with a higher BC drifts less due to windage as well as changes in height. For me that is a big factor in choosing a bullet with a higher BC. You can stalk closer, but you can't stop the wind and its a lot harder to practice for (how do you tell the wind to blow at different speeds while your at the range).

Course if I'm going after something I know I won't shoot at from afar (like feral hogs) flat nosed heavy bullets are what I'll be toting. When I head into the swamps around my house I know I won't be shooting more than 75 yards (if 25) and I know I don't want anything to go far after I hit it (in some spots if they go 10 yards I'd never get to them).
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
There are places where the wind rarely blows at all and hunters never do learn how to shoot in the wind. The only problem I see with that scenerio is IF you lived where the wind didn't blow and was going to hunt where the wind did blow. You can't practice shooting in the wind IF there isn't any wind: very true. THEN, a higher BC and a higher velocity round could keep you on target, BUT still no guarantee.

200m rams were never a problem on the silhouete range with flat-nosed heavy bullets, and the wind rarely stopped blowing in SW Wyoming. The upside was when hunting - taking the wind into consideration was automatic and not thought about. You just do it. Most round nosed and flat nosed bullets in hunting rifles have higher BC's and faster muzzle velocities than what I was shooting from my revolvers. Never had the wind cause me to miss on game out to 340 yards. You either know what you are doing, practice until you do know what you are doing or stay out of it.

Bottom line being "use what works for you". IF you need higher BC, use the bullet that has it. IF you need higher velocity, use the rifle that has it. Neither situation dictates to others what they need.
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:26 PM »
The 220 gr RN was probably singularly responsible for the 30-40 Krag's reputation as an excellent elk getter back in the day.  Nothing spectacular about the cartridge at all, except for getting the job done.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 02:41:50 AM »
Maintaining velocity is what allows for less drop.  The shorter the time the bullet is in the air between the muzzle and it's intended target, the less time gravity takes it's toll on the bullet drop.  

Here is an article that shows roughly a seven inch drop difference at 300 yards with a 30-30:

At 250 yards the difference in drop is little....roughly 3 inches.  So, as many of you already stated, inward of 300 yards (with the 30-30 at least) bullet point is somewhat insignificant with reference to bullet drop.

What I find amazing by the article is that a 14" contender barrel matches and maintains velocity as well as a 21" levergun.

There are test with a 300 WM that shows a 2 inch or less drop with hornady bullets one round one pointed all else the same.
Wonder why a 30-30 was used for a 300 yard test other than to assure out come  ???
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »

There are test with a 300 WM that shows a 2 inch or less drop with hornady bullets one round one pointed all else the same.
Wonder why a 30-30 was used for a 300 yard test other than to assure out come  ???

My guess is that the 30-30 was used because realistically, the 30-30 is truly only good out to about 200 yards.  YES, there are some of us (me included) who shoot prairie dogs out to that distance and a little further, but on a deer or something that you're going to want to KILL and EAT, you'd probably better move up to a 308 or something.  So, the 30-30 was probably used as an example for the 300 yard mark.  I'm sure more powerful calibers have a mark such as this at a much further distance.

In response to what Sweetwater said: You either know what you are doing, practice until you do know what you are doing or stay out of it.
I recently made a comment similar to this on a thread regarding to compensating distance with a scope.  I couldn't agree more Sweetwater!  Shooters either shoot a lot and practice a lot until they get it right or they're just guessing.  Personally, I don't get a chance to shoot enough nor do I get a chance to shoot at distances far enough to worry about it.  :( 
Pointed bullets do LOOK cool on a 30-30 cartridge though!   ;D  ....not to mention that they can be found at a cheaper price than the traditional flat points needed in a levergun.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
You are about right there, Blackhawker!
A few years ago I left Wyoming, chasing the dollar, and my long range opportunities came to a screaching holt. So did my overall opportunities to shoot. With the aging eyes, I have probably cut my "practical limits" in half with open sights, though my scoped guns still work like always. I shot an Idaho whitetail a couple years ago. Shot placement was all that could be asked for. The buck 'disappeared'. We found him dead in his tracks, with his legs folded under him, right where I shot him. Didn't even take a step. My buddy commended me on dropping such a nice buck so quickly and at such a goodly distance. We have totally different hunting backgrounds. The deer did drop fast, no doubt, fastest I ever saw anything go down. The load was a 185gr Remington Corelokt at 2550fps from my 8x57mm Persian Carbine (in my Avatar), the deer dressed 145lbs (small buck) and the "long" shot was 110 yards. Nothing spectacular there, in my book. Same load works great on 700lb elk at 300 yards!  Different areas have different requirements. All areas require practice, and that's where a lot of us "don't get enough".
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »
I believe as many have said here, that unless you're shooting in the 300 yd range a looonng range rifle with spire points is of little benefit .
  My marlin 336 30/30 is about ideal for big game where I live & hunt. The deer I have killed with 170 gr Winchester power points were DRT. I doubt a .458 WM would have made them any deader..any faster. Rem corelokt would likely work as well. I live in an area called "the Enchanted Mountains" and shots of 200 yds are very rare. With a couple exceptions, most of my deer have been killed at about 50 yards. To be sure, there are open fields, but during big game season, deer are at best found around the edges, so I  hunt the edges...still reasonable ranges.
  Among my son's many talents, he is also a professional photographer, so to illustrate the area where I live and hunt I will post some of his pics, all taken within 3-4 miles of my house. These are my hunting conditions, why would I need a super long range rifle ? I won't even opt for the "lever evolution" bullets to reload.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
  My neighbor, about 2 miles away and halfway to my own woods, has some interesting game on his farm, but I seriously doubt he would want me shooting it !  ;) :D ;D
  Actually, for most ranges at which one is likely to see big game (whitetails & black bear) around here.....44 mag would also be a good choice. I have harvested 2 deer with that round.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Confederate rifleman

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »
Consider this.Round nosed/flat point 150 or 170 .30 calibers are designed to be used at very specific velocities and they work SUPERBLY! However , the various spitzer/pointed .30 cals are used in a much wider velocity range.Its relatively easy to make bullets that perform consistently from 1800-2300 fps than it is to make them consistent from 2500-3200 fps like a 150 does ( .300 Savage to 7.62 Lazzaroni or .30-378 Wby).With the greater stresses brought on by the higher velocities construction is gonna be too tough for some and too soft for others.Also, the larger meplat of a rn of fp starts its hydrostatic shock wave sooner than a more pointed design.Its also punching a larger permanent entrance hole to begin with .Look at the difference on a paper target.Fold the dislpaced paper back into the hole and see which design took out more paper.Slight I know but meaningful.Larger holes mean better blood flow and blood trails.It also lets in more air further damaging pulmonary function with a lung shot.I prefer round noses myself.Is there any bullet out there that says " That's gonna leave a mark" more than a Remington round nose soft point Core Lokt? Looks aren't decieving either...
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look upon you with favor and bring you peace.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
Ironglow - great pics!! Reminds me a lot of where I grew up in Washington County, Maine. Thanks!
Regards,
Sweetwater