Author Topic: Hornadys new .35 cal. FTX bullet  (Read 302 times)

Offline doetag

• Trade Count: (0)
Hornadys new .35 cal. FTX bullet
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
  Has anyone tried the new ftx bullets in something a little faster than it was designed for ,like a 358 win.. This seems like it would be a devestating bullet on deer.
BIGGER and faster is always better !

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
Re: Hornadys new .35 cal. FTX bullet
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »
I've shot over a box of them through my .358 BLR.  I couldn't make shoot bad no matter what I put behind them and I think I went 42-49 gr. I4064, - my rifle loves them accuracy wise (~1" at 200 yds :o).  I did have to seat them differently than 200 SP (can't recall for sure but I think it was deeper because my rifle has a short throat) so try chambering a dummy round before you run a bunch of them and get to the range. 
Unfortunately, I screwed up the bolt lockup shooting hot loads and didn't get it back from gunsmith till after hunting so don't know how dead it kills.  I can't imagine a problem on deer/bear size stuff because they hold up to damp sand pretty well at 15 yds but make a big mushroom so penetration may be less than 4' through game LOL.

Offline doetag

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hornadys new .35 cal. FTX bullet
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
   That sound good . I sort of thought they might blow apart @ higher speeds . I have been using serria 225 gr. gamekings in my 7600,  they shoot good  but ,   wanted to try something a little different . Tried the Hornady 180gr. ss/pb and the 225 Nos. BT . The 180gr. didnt shoot that good and the 225 bt's were to long.  Thats what so great about rolling your own ,trying new things. OH YEA  I know you know, but got to say it anyway  BE  CAREFULL .                               
BIGGER and faster is always better !