Author Topic: Need to trim ? (.223 once fired commericial cases)  (Read 742 times)

Offline Hank Zudd

• Trade Count: (10)
Need to trim ? (.223 once fired commericial cases)
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »
starting to load 60 gr. V max & sierra boolits; if the cases are close, do I have to trim them?
I do trim my milsurp cases going thru the AR, but i'm sorting out the commerical cases
specificly for the Handi. I'm not going to load anything real hot, just accurate, for yotes & piggies.

Also, any problems with Barnul 64 gr. HP with steel case?   thanks

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Need to trim ? (.223 once fired commericial cases)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »
I have had good accuracy results loading for my NEF .223 bull 1:9 with brass that was originally fired once thru police ARs. I don't trim or crimp.  But it is fussy about using the same manufacture of brass for a given load.

No experience with steel cases, but I collected up to 800 pc of brass at one time until I relized how long it took to shoot 50 rounds through a single shot rifle. I saved the best 300 pc for my NEF and gave away the rest.

What Sierras are you using?
I just got a box of 65 GKs that I will try to dial in with H380 after deer season.
Is yours 1:9 or 1:12?
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »
I bought my first 223 many years ago based in part on the ready availability of cheaper military brass. I realized that mil brass has to have the crimp removed and it has less capacity than commercial brass, so now I buy Remington or Winchester brass. 100 pieces lasts me a long time with a single shot rifle. I always check lengths with my Lee trim gauge, but it seldom needs trimming. If it needs it, I trim to the pre-set length of the trimmer. I think that uniform neck length contributes to uniform start pressures and thus, to accuracy.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
I think that uniform neck length contributes to uniform start pressures and thus, to accuracy.

+1 on that,,but my 223 has a really long throat,,1.79 so I don't bottom out the Lee trimmer, I cut to 1.76
 Just got my hands on 200+ once fired LC mil brass and their long enough I think I'll go out to 1.77. but I trim to get a consistant neck.
found elsewhere

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Need to trim ? (.223 once fired commercial cases)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:04:40 AM »
Follow your manual, if they show long, cut them. a couple thousands short, for the average loader will not matter. (As long as your not crimping)

Step away from the steel cases for loading, you will likely eat up your dies in short order... You should not be re-loading steel cases.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ron T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Need to trim ? (.223 once fired commercial cases)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »

Step away from the steel cases for loading, you will likely eat up your dies in short order... You should not be re-loading steel cases.

CW

+1... definitely !~!~!  Brass is very flexible and reforms well, steel isn't... and doesn't!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
i mostly shoot .223 in ars ao i trim every time. Its not worth taking a chance on ammo not chambering when your life could depend on it. Neet thing is ive got a dillon trimmer and its about as easy and fast as it possibly could be
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
Once fired rarely needs trimming.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:47:41 AM »
If you can, switch to a carbide size button on your F.L. die. Helps to cut down on case stretch. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:55:28 AM »
A lot of the "once fired" brass I am seeing today is from companies that are using recycled brass.
I don't think it was in spec when it was loaded because I am having to trim most of it.

The good stuff rarely needs trimmed if it was fired only once.

Doug

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »
 That's a good point Doug,
 I know Black Hills has ammo on the local shelves that are marked "recycled" and there are a few other's,,It's usually the 50 rd count boxes and has a good price,,but for the reloader, How can we tell how many times it's been fired or recycled?
  I guess I guy really needs to be watchfull, and I guess it's about what a guy wants or expects for quality.
found elsewhere

Offline possum6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »
I think that uniform neck length contributes to uniform start pressures and thus, to accuracy.

so I don't bottom out the Lee trimmer
   How do you do this?
I believe everything that happen's, or will happen,was created, or created in the future, GOD knew and created from the very beginning of the foundation of the universe.       Dale

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
 The length gauge (the rod) is split where the threads are. Slide a screwdriver in that split and carefully "open" the
two threaded sides a tiny bit. That'll make it hard to screw in.
 Then I take a piece of leather in the jaws of a pliers and hold the bottom of the length gauge,(it's smaller there, not the neck size, not the point, just where it gets smaller) and screw it in too the cutter head. I want it too turn hard, you can watch how close the shoulder of the rod gets to the cutter.
 Then it's just a matter of trimming a case and measure,,repeat,, till I get it to where I want.

I got the Lee Zip Trim unit, it makes handling cases alot easier, I check trim length every 3-4 cases, but it doesn't change.
I found for me, the key is to not "horse" the cutter into the case, just slide it gentle like and let it cut till it the gauge rod lands on the shell holder.
found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 02:18:18 AM »
ive seen lots that did. I depends on where the brass was used. If it came from a bolt gun its probably fine but if fired in an auto with a loose chamber you can about bet it needs trimming. Ive bought a dillon carbide expander die and found it didnt mean a thing as to how often i have to trim. Brass growing is more of a problem caused by working the brass when sizing then it is from the expander ball pulling. Id like to try an rcbs x die but they dont make it in small base and just like I trim every time for reliablility i also full lenght size in a small base die for everything im using in a semi auto.
Once fired rarely needs trimming.
blue lives matter