Author Topic: correct grain bullet for my rifle twist????  (Read 875 times)

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
correct grain bullet for my rifle twist????
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:58 PM »
I have a couple of surplus sporters chambered in 257 Roberts.  Both have 21 inch barrels and their twist rate is 1 in 10 inches.  I have 75 grain, 87, 100, 117 jacketed bullets.  Which of these should be the more accurate with my twist rate?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: correct grain bullet for my rifle twist????
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
Ruger currently lists their 257 R rifles with 1:10 twist. I would guess your rifles should shoot nearly all grain wts listed ok. I'd be most concerned for 117 gr bullets, some may shoot well, others might not depending on actual length and design and velocity. But I'm not very experienced with the 257. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.  HTH
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:13:17 AM »
Shoot 'em all!!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline LilNewt

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
To know for SURE you would have to shoot them all.  To break the frustration of finding one that might do the best look up "greenhill formula calculator" on the internet and then type in your numbers and it will spit out some very rough information to start your process.   But I am a newbie at this so I am sure that there are others that can help out with more experience with the particular round.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:19 AM »
Both of my 257 Roberts are Remington Model 722 and like the 87gr way better than the 75gr, and like the old Norma 120gr best of all. BUT, like was posted, you gotta shoot 'em to know for sure. Each rifle is quirky in its own way. Have a ball! IMR 4064 is hard to beat in these, but cases full of IMR4350 will fairly equal the accuracy and really light up the Chrony!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:47 AM »
I have an old Arisaka 38 action that was sporterized. It sports a 1:12 slow twist barrel. This twist rate did not like 100 grain pellets but shoots very accurately with 80 grain Barnes TSX copper bullets. I would think that the 100 grain pellets would shoot well in the 1:10 twist. The 117 grainers might also work.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
The bullet that seems to shoot very well in different quarter bores with 1/10" twist that I have seen is the Speer 120 grain BTSP.  I seems to work well in rifles that don't seem to like much of anything, but I have never had experience with the 257Bob.

Offline moosie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
One of my favorite guns is a Ruger 1-V in .25-06.  The bullet choices are identical to the .257 Roberts.  Personally, my Ruger (1 in 10 twist) likes all of those bullet weights you mentioned, but the best is with 117 gr. and 120 gr. boattails.  I have used Nosler partition, Sierra GK, Speer, and Hornady.  The Sierra GK is my current favorite.  I bet your rifle will shoot all of the weights you list, but probably will prefer one over the others.  You just have to experiment a little.
Moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.

Offline shot1

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »
If you are going to shoot deer size game give the Sierra 117 and IMR 4064 a try first. This bullet is a stone cold killer on deer. If it is varmints you will be shooting give the 87 Sierra with IMR 4064 a try first. This bullet will red mist a groundhog. Near to max loads shoot the best with these bullets and this powder.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
according to the shilen barrel website, 1 in 10 twist is good for up to 100 gr. bullets in a .257 caliber

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
Thanks to all the replies.  I've been experimenting with various grain bullets and powders for sometime now and was just curious about the recommended grain bullets to use.    Found the Varmit Hunter website has a chart and like Shilen's shows a 257 with a 1 in 10 " twist good up to 100 grains too.  I haven't hunted in over 40 years and retired a few years ago.  Made mistake of taking my rifles to range to shoot up some old ammo I'd had since the 60s.  This led me to get back into guns, shooting and reloading, something I'd done a lot of when a teenager.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
I do not have a quarter bore, so my experience there is nil. But in general the longest bullet that will stabilize will work best. I said in general, because there are exceptions to every rule - some times lots of exceptions. The reason is that the slower the bullet spins, the more accurate it will be (as long as it is stabilized). The faster a bullet spins the more a slight defect in the bullet will throw the bullet off of the true flight path. Of course a heavier bullet needs a faster twist rate to stabilize, but it is heavier so the velocity is down - thus reducing the spin rate (in time, not distance)). For instance - in a 223 if you are going to shoot light bullets (52 grain and under) you will be better served with a 1 - 14" twist. If you are going to be shooting 75 grain bullets, you will need a 1 - 8" twist to stabilize the bullet, but is shoots at a much lower velocity so it will not spin as fast (per second, not per yard) as say a 45 grain bullet in a 1 - 8" twist. Any defect in the 45 grain bullet will be magnified due to the faster spin rate. Like I said this is in general - there are always exceptions to the rule.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.