Author Topic: Buffalo Classic vs Marlin 1895  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Buffalo Classic vs Marlin 1895
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
About one year ago I bought a brand new Buffalo Classic but I sold it (a mistake) and I never fired it!!!!!! Now I'm interested again to buy another one but I also considering a Marlin 1895. I would like to know which one between the BC and a Marlin 1895 is more strong and which one is more accurate, the Marlin is about $200 more than the BC here in Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Buffalo Classic vs Marlin 1895
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
The H&R will handle Ruger loads, the 1895 won't, not that they're needed, can't speak to the accuracy of the 1895 personally, but I know they're well liked so they can't be to bad, from personal experience the BC is very accurate, mine will make one hole groups at 100yds.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
If you can afford it, I'd get the 1895.  The 1895s are very accurate.  The BC is too heavy and cumbersome for hunting IMO.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
my 1895xlr is prolly the most accurate lever i have, from 22lr to 45/70

but my bc can out shoot it...
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
So I think my choice will be the BC and I prefer the look of the BC over the 1895  ;)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
i can tell ya another test....
same load configuration just below max, around 2000fps
see which one likes you !!!!  your choice is quite more user friendly ;D
even with the steel plate.... :o
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »
I have an 1895CB, an 1895G, and a BC.  The 1895CB gets shot more than the others, unless I feel lazy and don't want to chase brass.  Then it's the BC that's shot.  

Also, I go through a LOT less ammo when shooting the BC.  

Accuracy??  Probably little difference, but the 1895CB is more accurate for me mostly because I have a tang ladder sight on it.  It has nothing to do with the gun's capability, just my old eyes.

As far as strength, Tim answered that.  But for me, it makes no difference cause I'm not gonna shoot any loads that test the metal's temper anyway.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
I don't think you would be disappointed by either choice. Bought both and love 'em both. As for accuracy there is little or no difference with the right loads. Like Chas. I don't load them up to max in either rifle. For hunting I use Remington 405gr. SP bullets loaded to 1650FPS. Heavier loads just aren't needed. Here's a photo of my 1895SDT along with a 100 yard target and some game I took with it last year.
Don

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »
Don't have a BC, but I do have a 22" Handi and a 22" 1895. Both scoped. The 1895 is more of a fun plinker. I'd be more likely to carry the Handi for hunting due to weight. The 1895 is more accurate in my case. Kudos on factory 405 grain load levels for both. I want a Shikari. Or a BC. Or both. $200 is 5 boxes of ammo in my case. Probably 4 boxes in Canada.

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 04:07:35 PM »
I have the Guide Gun and a 22" Handi 45/70.
The GG is more accurate but takes some TLC because of the Microgroove barrel. It likes 350 gr Ranch Dog GC bullets out of a mold I lapped to .460.

The Handi's are walking around and tractor guns (Except the FH chambered slug guns) and I'm removing the scopes one by one to make them easier to carry. They are for times I don't want to carry a big handgun.
The Handi's will handle a heavier load and the 45/70 likes 405 gr Lee cast hard and a stiff load of 4198.

If I could have only one, it would be the GG, no question. Both are nice though ;D

Someone mentioned the BC being hard to hunt with. It can't be any fun in a tree stand although I do it with full size flintlocks and my Sharps. So it can be done.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
The GG is more accurate but takes some TLC because of the Microgroove barrel. It likes 350 gr Ranch Dog GC bullets out of a mold I lapped to .460.

The Handi's are walking around and tractor guns (Except the FH chambered slug guns) and I'm removing the scopes one by one to make them easier to carry. They are for times I don't want to carry a big handgun.
The Handi's will handle a heavier load and the 45/70 likes 405 gr Lee cast hard and a stiff load of 4198.

If I could have only one, it would be the GG, no question. Both are nice though ;D

Someone mentioned the BC being hard to hunt with. It can't be any fun in a tree stand although I do it with full size flintlocks and my Sharps. So it can be done.
Thought that GG have never been made with Microgroove barrels.

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »

Thought that GG have never been made with Microgroove barrels.

I think all the GG have microgroove barrels. Mine certainly does and I wish it didn't.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Guide Guns were never made with Micro-Groove barrels.  They all have Ballard rifling.  It doesn't really matter because both shoot lead & jackets just fine.  As far as I know Marlin makes H&R barrels so it seems a moot point.  If you want a too long too heavy (budget based) dolled up single shot get the BC.  If you are serious about hunting get the 22" barreled Handi or the Marlin.  Claims to the contrary I don't believe the Handi is suited for heavier loads than the 1895.  Even if it were, the recoil is unbearable at that level.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:35 AM »
Guide Guns were never made with Micro-Groove barrels.  They all have Ballard rifling.  It doesn't really matter because both shoot lead & jackets just fine.  As far as I know Marlin makes H&R barrels so it seems a moot point.  If you want a too long too heavy (budget based) dolled up single shot get the BC.  If you are serious about hunting get the 22" barreled Handi or the Marlin.  Claims to the contrary I don't believe the Handi is suited for heavier loads than the 1895.  Even if it were, the recoil is unbearable at that level.

this

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:29 AM »
I have a .22 inch handi, and a  marlin GG, My friend had a BC. They all shot about the same, The BC really shines at longer ranges, The marlin is faster shooting, I always grab the 22" Handi when I head to the woods, I really like the way it carries and shoots.  As for loads, I shot some ruger loads one time, Never again. The rifle didn't mind but my shoulder did. Upper end trapdoor is the stoutest I use now but the rifle will handle any load you can. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »
Buster,  I think it really depends on what you want to use the gun for.  Target shooting vs. hunting.  I have a guide gun, and really like it.  I've used it to take hogs, bear, and 7 head of plains game, in south Africa.  Go with whichever you like.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »
Guide Guns were never made with Micro-Groove barrels.  They all have Ballard rifling.  It doesn't really matter because both shoot lead & jackets just fine.  

Swampman, I have a Guide Gun. My Guide Gun has a microgrove barrel.  Just how do you figure they never made them?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 03:18:40 AM »
You are mistaken.  By the time the Guide Gun came along Marlin was only using Ballard rifling in the .45-70 rifles.

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »
Buster,  I think it really depends on what you want to use the gun for.  Target shooting vs. hunting.  I have a guide gun, and really like it.  I've used it to take hogs, bear, and 7 head of plains game, in south Africa.  Go with whichever you like.

Mad Dog

Mad dog only target shooting. Thanks guys for all you repies  ;)

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:37 AM »
You are mistaken.  By the time the Guide Gun came along Marlin was only using Ballard rifling in the .45-70 rifles.

Just no sense in arguing about it.

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:38:55 AM »
I have a 22 handi and an 1895 and both are great guns.  The Marlin is the more accurate of the two but the Handi is no slouch either.  The last 5 deer I have taken were with the Marlin but have also taken some with Handi.  Don't know about the BC though.  The Marlin likes 300 HP and the Handi 405 SP.  I have done so in the past but no longer shoot either above Trapdoor level.  Neither are 'uncomfortable at Marlin level but can only imagine what a Ruger level load might feel like in either.

RJ

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 04:46:28 AM »

Just no sense in arguing about it.

How long is your barrel?  Did you buy the gun new?

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »
I have both a Guide Gun and a Handi-Rifle chambered for 45/70. The Guide Gun has a 1.5-5X20 Vari-X III while the Handi carries a Nikon Monarch
3-9X40. They are both MOA rifles with thier preferred handloads. I use the Handi for deer hunting during our primitive weapons season and have shot it at much longer distances than the Marlin. I'll carry the lever gun when we're running deer dogs and just walking around. I really like both. If I had to choose between the two I'd have to pick the Handi over the GG only because it qualifies as a primitive weapon. But, I like the Guide Gun enough I might have to go back to my smoke pole. Tuff call. Either way I'd have a rifle that I have full confidence in.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:19 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »
I got one of each. Love them both.. Marlin is better for sneakin through the green wood..

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20:10 AM »
"Beginning with the introduction of its wildly popular Guide Gun version of the big-bore .45-70 Model 1895 in 1998 (blued steel, 18 1/2-inch ported barrel, four-shot magazine, deep-cut six-groove Ballard rifling, and ventilated recoil pad"

All current production 1895 Marlins do have Ballard rifling but the "Guide Gun" was produced from the begining (1998) with Ballard rifling.

If someone has a factory produced "Guide Gun" with Micro-Groove stamped on the barrel I'd sure like to see some pics.  It could be an early prototype that escaped the factory.

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 06:26:41 AM »
I for 1 love my BC the extra barrel lenght , In my opinion, gives it less kick and I love havin a gun that the cartrige is historic .

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
But if I had to buy only one 1895 http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1895Cowboy.asp a real beauty but to expensive for me  :(

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 07:12:11 AM »
"Beginning with the introduction of its wildly popular Guide Gun version of the big-bore .45-70 Model 1895 in 1998 (blued steel, 18 1/2-inch ported barrel, four-shot magazine, deep-cut six-groove Ballard rifling, and ventilated recoil pad"

All current production 1895 Marlins do have Ballard rifling but the "Guide Gun" was produced from the begining (1998) with Ballard rifling.

If someone has a factory produced "Guide Gun" with Micro-Groove stamped on the barrel I'd sure like to see some pics.  It could be an early prototype that escaped the factory.

You know, I said it wasn't worth arguing about. I have a Guide Gun. To make sure I wasn't losing my mind I pulled out a couple other Marlins and looked down the Bore. Sure enough, they're different.
Since Marlin never made the GG in Microgroove, I must have a scratched up smooth bore 410. That should settle the issue!

There are lots of things to argue about today. I've been fighting over House Bill 1070 for two days. That's certainly something to argue over. Everyone seems to be doing it.

I can even get into a spirited debate over wearing a tie-it-yourself bow tie verses a clip on, to go with the tux I don't want to wear to the AG's Gala event I don't want to attend tonight.......

but my Marlin  guide guns rifling just isn't worth wasting the time!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:29 AM »
You should put it on Gunbroker it the rarest of rare.