Author Topic: Inexpensive red dot for .22/plinking  (Read 642 times)

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Inexpensive red dot for .22/plinking
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:10 AM »
   Hey all, I'm looking for an inexpensive red-dot optic for a Ruger Mk II pistol, mainly for plinking fun on some spinner targets, of course recoil shouldn't be an issue but I don't want a total POS, nor do I need the latest wham-bam snazzy combat EOTECH either.  Was looking at CDNN Sports for thier cheap BEC models, some have good reviews for use on rifles so I figure they should be fine on a 22 pistol.  Also, I'd like it to be a holographic type, as in no scope tube.  Any and all advice, experience, and recomendations appreciated.

Thanks

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Inexpensive red dot for .22/plinking
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:06 AM »
Try the NcStar. Inexpensive and the ones I've had have worked well.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline sparkyc2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:15:48 AM »
Mueller makes one...I have two mounted on .22--no problems.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:42:02 AM »
I would buy any Mueller scope over any NcStar scope....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »
Looked at the Mueller after you guys recomendation, they look really nice for what I need it for, gonna shop around and see what I can find one for, thanks fellas.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:23:27 AM »
read my review on the strikefire. I wouldnt go any cheaper then one of them. It may be a bit bulky for a pistol though. Something like the buris fast fire unit would be better and i see the old models being closed out at under 200 bucks. I always chuckle at people wanting to put the cheapest possible optic on a .22 when its the gun a guy tends to use the most.
blue lives matter

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 02:33:02 AM »
  I have noticed that many low priced red dots have a dot that's so big it blocks out a lot of the target.  Makes it hard to hit, depending what you are shooting at.  I have a BSA that was cheap, but the dot is so big I rarely use it.  Instead I picked up a used TC pistol scope.  They turn up used from time to time.