Author Topic: Dillon, new dies or new reloader?  (Read 765 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Dillon, new dies or new reloader?
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »
I have a Dillon Square Deal B set up for .45acp. I like the machine a lot. But, the caliber conversion kits cost $82!

I am thinking about the cost of buying new kits in several different calibers that I shoot regularly. This will cost close to $350. I will have a nice machine for all of my handgun needs.

OR

I thought about buying a new machine that can also load rifle cartridges too (probably not progressive). Die sets for most other machines run around $30 - $50. Sure I would be buying more dies...spending more money, but for rifles too, not just handguns.

The non-progressive would take longer to load and change out dies/adjust, etc. But, would it be worth it? Thoughts either way??

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: Dillon, new dies or new reloader?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »
It would be worth it to me. I like to test loads, so there is a lot of 5 rounds of this and then change the die and 5 rounds of something else. I have found I like having multiple presses (available in trade papers and at local gun shows everywhere) rather than a single press of any kind. I don't shoot competitively anymore, so a progressive press is really lost on me.

You quoted nearly 50 dollars diferrence in die cost. I paid $5.00 for my last press and it's tighter than the rest of my presses. It's a Pacific. $16.00 bought me a Universal Shell Holder Ram, so it uses all the new shell holders. It came with both large and small primer arms. I'd do it again!

What works for some, doesn't work for others... Good luck with your quest.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
If you are gonna load rifle cartridges get a new press, Lee classic cast is a good one to look at.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »
Remember that the caliber conversion for the SDB comes with the dies (unless Dillon has changed this recently).

For loading rifle cartridges, you'll definitely need a new press.  Of course, you could buy a press to do your rifle stuff on and buy conversions for the SDB to do your pistol stuff on, which would be what I would consider.  Of course, I would also consider how much volume loading I need to do for any given cartridge.  If you're not going to be doing a lot of volume for your other pistol cartridges (like 200 rounds or less), then that's not a big deal.  Then again, if you ARE going to be doing volume loading for the rifles (.223 or .308 for semi-auto rifles?), you may benefit from a Dillon 650.

Lee is using a bushing system for their new single-stage presses, so if you pop for the extra bushings, once you get the dies set up, you shouldn't have to change any settings, just swap out the bushing that holds the appropriate die and go to town.  That may eliminate the "longer to change out dies/adjust" issue, anyway.  It will still take longer to load, but you can't load rifle calibers on your SDB anyway, so you'll need a new press anyway.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »
if your budget will allow keep the square deal for acps and pick up a 550 to do the rest.
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:14:32 AM »
A Lee Classic Cast will do what you want, inexpensively.   

It delivers what other turret's only promise.  Big and strong enough to load .50 BMG, the auto-indexing head is much faster than a single stage.  The heads are very inexpensive, easy & quick to swap without tools.  Get a die head for each cartridge you wish, load dies in it and leave them set up. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »
Thank you for the input. The last two were what I was looking for...Keep the SDB and spend the money on a new press that I could use for rifle too if I wanted. Or, spend the money and buy new handgun caliber kits for the SDB and have that as my only press, for now.

I'll check out the Lee and see what the dies cost and what its capabilities are as well as the other Dillon, although the Dillon is pricey compared to the other options.

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Thank you for the input. The last two were what I was looking for...Keep the SDB and spend the money on a new press that I could use for rifle too if I wanted. Or, spend the money and buy new handgun caliber kits for the SDB and have that as my only press, for now.

I'll check out the Lee and see what the dies cost and what its capabilities are as well as the other Dillon, although the Dillon is pricey compared to the other options.

Thanks!!

Yes, the Dillon 650 is very pricey.  Like I said, if you intend to do any volume reloading for any of the rifle rounds you load, though, it will be your friend.  The 650 takes standard dies, but caliber conversions are still expensive, and don't come with dies for the 650, so that's something to keep in mind.

Regardless, I would keep the SDB.  You've already got it set up to load .45 ACP.  The real question is "What to do next?".  You did say you wanted to get into reloading for rifle rounds, so you will need a new press.  The SDB just won't do rifle rounds.  If you're not doing a large quantity of rifle rounds at any one time, the Lee Classic Cast will serve you well, and won't limit you to one brand of dies.  It uses the standard die type, so you can use the regular dies from Lee, RCBS, Redding, or Hornady (or anyone else that makes standard dies).  If you don't like the Lee, the RCBS Rockchucker is an excellent press, though it will cost a bit more than the Lee (still uses standard dies, though). 

If you don't want single-stage, there are always turret presses, though I've never messed with one, so I'll let others tout the glory of the turret press.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
I guess other the being cheaper i dont see what any turrent press offers over a 550 dillon. Bottom line is even with all the loading gear i have i could basicaly toss it all out and get by with a 550 dillon for every reloading chore i do. there that good. Another thing to keep in mind is although they may cost a bit more there built well and part of that cost of admission is knowing you will NEVER need to pay for any part that is EVER broke and  beleive me if you use any press enough somethings going to break. A fact that im sure you Lee guys are very much aware of. Id bet everything i own that if the only place you could buy reloading gear was a store that had every model set up for you to try that Lee would have been out of bussiness 20 years ago. Dont get me wrong even I use some lee stuff but there presses have never impressed me. I have had all the old ones. Ive even tried a newer single stage and if felt like there was gravel in the ram. I havent tried the new turnent but have owned the older model and it was probably the most serviceable lee press i owned. Id take it hands down before one of there pos progressives. But bottom line at least for me is ive found that when i buy loading gear i want something not to grow out of but if anything to grow into and ive also found that about any step up from lee equiptment is a good thing.
blue lives matter

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 01:30:55 PM »
I've only ever managed to break one Lee press so far. I had a .308 Winchester case stuck in the sizing die while using a Lee Hand Press. I clamped the end of the handle into a vise and pulled.  The handle broke off and the case was still stuck. 

That said, you have a point about Dillon's warranty.  On a board I used to hang out on a few years ago, a guy posted that his house had caught on fire and his Dillon press (can't remember if it was a 550 or a 650 melted.  He contacted Dillon.  They had him send back the pile of metal that was his previous press and sent him a new one at no charge.  Now THAT is customer service.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
"I guess other the being cheaper i dont see what any turrent press offers over a 550 dillon."

Lloyd, looked at from the other end, you're observing he could get a Dillon and have virtually the same effect but at much greater cost over an auto-indexing Lee Classic Turret!  And much more cost for each additional cartridge he may add.  Personally, I don't see much value in THAT!  :D

And, are you aware the Classic Turret (and the Classic Cast single stage) body is made of cast steel (NOT cheaper, weaker cast iron), instead of alum alloy as the older Lee presses such as your's are?

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:21 AM »
Great feedback guys, thank you.

I am assuming that if I bought a caliber conversion kit for the SDB that the dies could be used for the 550? I'll contact Dillon to verify, but the thought just entered my head.

Again, thank you.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 01:41:48 AM »
security six that was me that dillon send the free press too so i can really stand behind the statement that there warantee is good.  wncchester ill go this way with you. If your the type of loader that loads say a 100 rounds a week then maybe the lee will get you by. But if you are producing more then that you need good equiptment. Its about like saying why buy a porche when a yugo gets me to work and back. Or why by a leupold when a tasco does the same thing.  Just spend a couple weeks using a quality press like a dillon 550 and your lee stuff will be nothing but a bad memory. It never ceases to amaze me that guys will spend thousands on a gun collection but will cringe when spending 500 bucks on a good loading press. Same with my neigbor he gives me a call one day and says he started reloading. I went over there and he had a new lee press with that lock and load like a hornady. It was as stiff as a board to operate. I looked over on the wall in his garage and he had 4 fishing poles for his boat that i know cost more then 500 bucks a piece but he wasnt about to spend more then a 100 bucks to load ammo. I ended up giving him a rcbs press and powder measure i had extra. I still laugh when i think about that cheap plastic powder mearsure that came with that kit. Ive seen better made stuff in my grandaughters little fake plastic kitchen set!!
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:45:49 AM »
For me it's a numbers game. And, I don't mean money. I use my Dillion when I'm loading for quantity. When it gets adjusted for whatever caliber, I'm knocking out a minimum of 500, most of the time a 1000 rds. If I'm loading for one of my rifle's or silhouette calibers, I use my turret. I might be loading 200-400 rds.
Just my opinion, a whole lot of reloaders buy progressive press's, that don't need them. Like buying a race car to go to the supermarket. But, if that's what ya want, go for it. If you shoot 500 to 1000 rds a month, a progressive is the way to go. If you only shoot 2000 rds a year, you can knock that out on a single stage press in no time. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Catfish

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »
My 2 cents worth. I load for 4 different .17 cal. rounds. 6 different .22 cal. rounds ect. I need a press that can quickly be changed for 1 round to another. With all of the different rounds I load for I also am looking for something that is relitivily cheap to set up for the conversions. I have been loading on a 550 Dillon since the mid 1980`s and am convinced that there is no better press on the market for me. The 650 Dillon will do a few more things than the 550, but I don`t really need them and it cost alot more up frount and alot more for each new calber you add. I also highly recomand Dillon dies for anyone loading cast bullets. They cost alittle more, but you can clean the wax build up out of the dies with out takeing them off the press. If your not loading cast bullets they are probily not worth the extra cost. If you are going to load in quanity stay away from anything that says Lee on it. I used to buy it because it was the cheapest stuff on the market, but then I found out why it was the cheapest stuff on the market.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
For hunting / target loads in a rifle i like to weigh each load so a single stage works best for me . I set up to throw a charge of powder just under the load and trickle in the last little bit. I get good groups doing this . For handguns I dump the powder and most any good press would work progressive or SS .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
Money is in short supply. Time, I have several years left, maybe, so multiple single-stage presses, inherited or bought used, work for me just fine. About half or more of everything I have today is either inherited or bought used - just the way it is here on this home front. Not shooting is not an option.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »
Have a Lyman that was bought in the 50's and given to me in the 80's and still working fine . A pacfic from the late 70's that was given to me that i still use also.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
Just what I was talking about! The good stuff lasts "almost" forever. My bench has a Pacific from the 30's, a Herters from the 50's, and a Pacific from the 60's. Only the Pacific from the 30's was purchased by me, used for $5.00 w/both priming arms.
Good equipment can still be found without mortgaging the farm.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline wncchester

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 01:13:23 PM »
"wncchester ill go this way with you. If your the type of loader that loads say a 100 rounds a week then maybe the lee will get you by. But if you are producing more then that you need good equiptment."

I do load less than that.  And I have quite "good equipment", no matter my volume.  

What I'm trying to convey is that by far more reloaders are like me than like you for volume.  And working on each round as carefully as possible is not very practical on anyone's progressive no matter how many rounds per hour can be pumped through it.  Trying to convience people to buy and use something that will certainly be far more costly than it's worth to them is not doing them any favors, no matter how well it meets your needs for high volume.  Not a matter of quality tools at all, the issue is suitability of the tools for  an individual.  ??

I only have two Lee  single stage presses for de- and re-capping but they are very good for reloading as well.  I just read a post by a man who recently finished loading 750,000 rounds of pistol ammo on an older Lee turret press, working as a part time hobbiest loader for a police department.  And it's still working.  How much better need it be?

I'm just never comfortable telling a new guy he needs to buy his tools to meet my needs.  As well as I can, I appraise what he says he intends, give him credit for knowing what he will do and make my suggestions based on his real needs, not mine.  Sometimes that means Lee, sometimes not.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Great feedback guys, thank you.

I am assuming that if I bought a caliber conversion kit for the SDB that the dies could be used for the 550? I'll contact Dillon to verify, but the thought just entered my head.

Again, thank you.

Negative.  The dies for the SDB are proprietary and unique to the SDB.  The 550 uses standard dies.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
nothing wrong with a good single stage if your only loading a 100 rounds or so a week. personaly id rather load on a good single stage press then fight one of those lee progressives. Belive me ive been there and done that. Granted the turents have less that can go wrong but even in turnet presses i have a old lyman all american that is built like a tank and weights 3 times what lee does and i picked it up off used on a gun forum classifieds for 75 bucks.
Money is in short supply. Time, I have several years left, maybe, so multiple single-stage presses, inherited or bought used, work for me just fine. About half or more of everything I have today is either inherited or bought used - just the way it is here on this home front. Not shooting is not an option.

Regards,
Sweetwater
blue lives matter

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »
Amen!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater