Author Topic: C. Alger foundry records  (Read 2140 times)

Offline willyak

• Trade Count: (0)
C. Alger foundry records
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
This forum is great.  I'm pouring through the threads and now have a mountain howitzer high on the project list.

My family has an old C. Alger made cannon from the 1800's that I would really like to find the original history on.  Does anyone know of a source for the old foundry records or any other information for that company?  The Google method just isn't producing much.

Thanks for any help!
Will

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: C. Alger foundry records
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »
to speed it up a bit I would recomend you to post some photos of the cannon and all visible markings
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
A real Cyrus Alger gun would be pretty impressive.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
Welcome willyak welcome ! This is the place . I would like to see some pics of this gun .
By tonight you'll have an answer , nobody can dig thru the books like some here ,If you post all marking and a pic or two ,you'll get your answer .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »
willyak --

WELCOME to the board!

When you post the pix, show the details of all lettering and proof marks.  Common places are on the muzzle, ends of both trunions, and along the top.

Measurements (ID of bore, depth of bore, etc.) would be good too.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline willyak

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:54 PM »
Wow!  You guys are fast.  Thanks for the interest and help.

These are the only pics I have handy on this computer.  It is an 1860's 3 pdr. bronze.  It is embossed with the name "C. Alger & Co.".  There are several distinguishing features, but I haven't been able to find a proof or inspector's(?) mark anywhere. 

The serial number (or at least a portion) is also present.  Please forgive me, as I'm a little cautious to give that number out on the forum.  I would really like to find out its origins and would be happy to give as much information (serial #, dimensions, etc.) on it as I can if someone can lead me to some reputable resources.

From what I've read on this forum, you guys are the right brains to pick.  Again, thanks for any help you can offer!  I will post some more pics in a bit.

Are there any records for Cyrus Alger & Co. in existence?

Thanks again.  This forum is great.
Will

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
Wow!  You guys are fast.  Thanks for the interest and help.

It's one of the symptoms of "the addiction".   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »
Willyak,

Welcome!

You Might Contact the State of Massachusetts or the city of Boston and see if any of the records might have been saved by a museum

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »
Make sure you don't clean the gun in an attempt to find markings. Improper restoration will destroy quite a bit of potential value.

Anybody know how to contact cannonmn? He could probably pull the paperwork on this gun out of his pocket.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
He is a sponser .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
Willyak, that is a nice old family heirloom you got setting around...like the man said, don't try to clean it up, you could lose 30 -40% of value! Don't be too reluctant to post here, these guys are good and generally quite accurate on their assessments. Looks a bit larger than a 3 lb'er, but pics can be a bit distorted or misleading...these fellows will know!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »
Make sure you don't clean the gun in an attempt to find markings. Improper restoration will destroy quite a bit of potential value.

Anybody know how to contact cannonmn? He could probably pull the paperwork on this gun out of his pocket.

Send him a PM or Email

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
Will,
If that is a Cyrus Alger cannon, I think it was made for the civilian market, and if it's not a military gun,  then it wont have an inspector's initials nor an Army or Navy registry number marked on it.
You state that it is marked "C. Alger & Co." (your quotes); is that exactly what is marked on the right trunnion face, and is anything else marked on the same trunnion face?
You also say the gun was made in the 1860's; but sixty what, and where is this date marked, is it on the left trunnion face?
Is the weight of the gun marked somewhere on the barrel?
Is there a number marked on the right rimbase end, and is this the number you're calling a serial number?

"The serial number (or at least a portion) is also present.  Please forgive me, as I'm a little cautious to give that number out on the forum."

Will; I'm just curious what you think you have to be cautious about? If any of us had knowledge of this "serial number," how do you think that might end up having a negative effect on yourself, or your family?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 02:56:15 AM »
Well I emailed John with photo's and got the following:

Thanks Allen, it is one of a zillion different styles of insurance gun that Alger produced mid-19th C.  I've seen at least 20 or 30 completely different styles, like Alger had an order form where you could mix and match any of the features on it when you placed your order.  Bronze Alger guns of this type are pretty scarce.  I wish I knew where Alger's company records wound up, if they weren't trashed.  Why don't you ask if anyone knows? 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
Willyak,
Looking at the muzzle of the gun looks like it has been varnished.  Do you think this is the case?
Nice family heirloom.  I hope you are in line for it. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline willyak

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
Hi to all and thank you again for all of the information and interest!  I'm typing this with a cell phone so it will have to be brief.  I'll be back at the office Monday and post some more pictures and info.  The shiny finish is linseed oil.  Hopefully it isn't harmful to the bronze.  The exact name on it is "C.Alger & Co. Boston".  Embossed around the top of the back end (sorry, I can't remember the correct term) is "No.       XXX".  The size "3 Pdr" is on top towards the middle, with "18XX" below that.  The last two numbers are hard to make out but appear to be 60.  Honestly it could be 69, 00, etc.  Sorry for the cautious approach with the serial number.  This cannon means alot to the family and I'm just paranoid about the internet anyway.   Those are all of the markings I can find, so it sounds like it may be a civilian build?  All comments and info are very much appreciated.  My thumbs are about to give out, so I'll post more Monday morning.  Thanks, Will

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
Will,

It would appear that you and your family are the proud owners of a genuine Cyrus Alger & Co. bronze cannon manufactured in 18??, that was intended for "Merchantmen or Steamers to give notice of arrival or departure, as well as for defense if occasion should require."
If Cannonmn says that bronze C. Alger civilian market guns are fairly rare, I would take his word for it.

I don't think that linseed oil is going to harm the finish of your gun; but isn't it going to eventually get very tacky? If I was in your position I would contact some bona fide bronze conservators, and find out what they recommended to protect the barrel. Texas A&M University has a well-known "Centre for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation:" you could e-mail them a letter with photos of your piece, and see what they had to say.

This is a Cyrus Alger foundry pattern brochure from 1858, C. Alger was (1856) deceased, and his son Francis was running the company. Many here will recognize that the bragging (rightfully so) about the endurance of an 11-inch caliber cannon, is the story of the famous proofing of one of John A. Dahlgren's XI-inch shell guns.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.