Author Topic: Not sure where to ask this. Mount question  (Read 460 times)

Offline Possum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Not sure where to ask this. Mount question
« on: October 31, 2003, 06:23:42 PM »
I am trying to mount Burris signature rings on a universal mount (not double dovetail).  Seems like the rear ring is cock-eyed and not in-line with the base.  I know that is what Burris claims the signature rings overcome, but I sure don't want to mount the scope with a ring that much out of alignment.  I think it is the base that I have the problem with since the previous rings looked out of alignment when I took them off.  I am mounting  a Black Diamond and sure do not want to bend the scope.  Anyone had any experiences like this?  This could be the reason the last scope failed on the rifle.  It was a Simmons and went through probably 150+ shots.   The recticle started turning in that scope.  I am going to try and find a quality base tomorrow and see if that corrects the problem.  Might be the ring itself, but I kind of doubt it.   Comments?

Offline Lee D.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 01:34:06 AM »
By universal do you mean a single dove tail or weaver base?  If it is the single dovetail you turn the rings to line up with the mount (I know this is simplistic but sometimes simple is the answer).  If it is a weaver type you will need the new base.
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline Possum

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 02:11:23 AM »
I mean a single dovetail base.  I got that part figured out about turning the dovetail ring in line.  The windage adjustable ring is the one I am having trouble with. Let me put my question a little differently.  After mounting many scopes for friends and myself, this is the first time I have had a base (or rings) that did not end up with a 90deg andgle between the two.  Has anyone else ever had that experience?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 03:23:38 AM »
That is the reason I absolutely refuse to use that base on any gun of mine unless it is the ONLY one made for it like on the Browning Low Walls. I HATE that base arrangement. It is weak and prone to messing up scopes.

The best procedure is to first center the rear (windage adjustment ring) left to right as best as you can. Make sure the screws are properly engaging the base of the ring. Snug it up. Now insert the ring alignment tool. You DO have a ring alignment tool right? If not you really shouldn't be trying to do this job. There are two types. One with sharp pointed ends and one with blunt ends. I have the one with sharpened ends.

Next turn your front ring until it looks properly inline and insert the other alignment bar in it. Using the alignment bars finalize the alignment of the two rings. Take the bars out and put the scope on.

Seriously if you do not have the alignment bars you really shouldn't be installing this base/ring combination. It is almost guaranteed to misalign and damage the scope. Even the Signature rings won't cure a bad misalignment of this ring/base system.

I strongly recommend using either a dual dove tail or Weaver base/ring combo and never using the type you have unless nothing else is made for the rifle. With it the rear ring offers no strength against recoil forces. Only the front ring resists the recoil. That any scope holds up under recoil in such a base/ring combo is a tribute to just how tough scopes really are.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Possum

• Contributor
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 07:11:46 AM »
Thanks Greybeard.  You make a very good argument.  Thanks for the input.  That's probably why the last scope went Kappoof...And the fact that it was lesser quality. I'm starting to lean towards the double dovetail.  Thanks again.