Author Topic: vehicle carry concealment  (Read 1007 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
vehicle carry concealment
« on: October 31, 2003, 09:48:03 PM »
i don't know why but i just noticed that my glove box doesn't lock. how do you boys carry a weapon in you truck and protect it and other folks.
i've always locked it if i was going to leave it--normally i bring it in tha house-but i wanted to leave thisun in tha truck.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 12:29:12 AM »
William,
For my pickup I had a steel box made that would fit under the seat. I bolted it to the floor and use a shielded padlock on it. Because of where it's located it would be near impossible to get it open without removing the  seat! It's not theft proof, but it would be easier to steal the truck! Or would it--------------got a hidden fuel pump shut off switch too-------
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 12:48:33 AM »
i have searched for such a product on the net but, amazingly, there is not one i could find. talk about a need--all we need is someone with a good idea.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 02:19:10 AM »
The last time I renewed my CCW permit, the instructor went into this.  There are certain places that a CCW (or anyone elxe) can't carry legally, and it seems that some of them have had their firearms stolen when they left it in the car/truck.

While the instructor didn't advise leaving a gun in a vehicle, he also knew that there are times when you have to leave it somewhere.  In that case he suggested using a cable type gunlock to lock the gun to something in your vehicle (I.E. the base of your car's seat).

A locking glove box isn't a very secure place to leave a firearm.  Once someone's broken into the vehicle, it doesn't take much to pry open a glove box.  The cable lock isn't much better, but it may slow them down a little bit.

~Rat

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 02:50:49 AM »
thats a good thought--and simple too--bet even i could figure out how to do that.
ya know if'n we put our---well if'n ya'll put your minds to tha problem, I HAVE NO MIND so i can't contribute, ya'll could figger out a cool way ta do this and then ya'll could make a millun dollars--and,er, well leave sum of it ta me since i encouraged ya to do it.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 01:13:34 PM »
William,
Go to you local fabrication shop with the measurements and have a box built that will fit under the seat or on the back wall of your truck cab. Tell them which direction you want the door to open and how you want it to lock. Mine uses a padlock, one of the shielded kind that's hard to get to with a bolt cutter. Bolt that sucker down from the inside. Not fool proof, but damn hard to defeat. Mine cost about $30.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 01:39:30 AM »
rat good idee--i'm gonna do sum thinkin on it--seems like tha ticket.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline DzrtRat

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 03:55:51 AM »
You're welcome Mr Layton.  Anything I can do to help out a fellow shooter.

Good luck!

Offline ZSPOOK

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 06:48:31 AM »
I have a piece of chain (about 5 links) that I have bolted to the floor under the seat of my truck, If I just have to leave the pistol in the trk I lock it with a shielded lock and hide the clip. You would have to tear up the whole trk to get the pistol.

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 07:28:00 AM »
ZSPOOK,
The chain is fine, just make sure it's a hardened chain that will resist bolt cutters. The trigger guard is not a good place to secure the chain, around here they don't have a problem cutting thru that if they need a disposable gun.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 02:05:58 AM »
boys ya done good--i found these on tha web, thanx to a local friend, an i thought i'd share em with ya.
odysseyauto
instatrunk
handgunsafe
i do not have all the other stuff needed to access from here but i think you can find them with the info provided.
savage- i may still go to a fabricator-$$$$ ya know-but these looked somewhat like you were suggesting.
all-in-all you folks came up with some good idee's an i'm still considering em.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD