Author Topic: house hold items for resizing lube????  (Read 1013 times)

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
house hold items for resizing lube????
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Just wondering if any of you seasoned reloaders have had to use something around the house for resizing lube if u ran out....such as vegitable oil or pam spray are some things i have heard of using any others?????

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: house hold items for resizing lube????
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
WD40. Spray some on a paper towel. Then wipe the case before sizing
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Alberto VO5
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
I have used the mink oil blended leather conditioner you use for boot waterproofing, and it works well. But only use a tiny dab.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
Lloyd Smale suggests anhydrous lanolin in this thread:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,194552.0.html
here on GBO in this very sub-forum.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
KY Jelly works, but don't let it dry before insertion.   :D

ChapStick and some lip sticks too.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline hillbill

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
i use marvel mystery oil myself. several drops on your pad or a old sock folded into a pad.a buddy of mine uses cooking spray but yu have to be carefull not to get too much on or yu will get hydrualic dents in the shoulder.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 05:23:06 PM »
great link mbopp!  thanks
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:40:51 AM »
I generally use a little plain Crisco - the white stuff.  I tried using the liquid vegtable oil one time and stuck a case so didn't use any more of that.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »
I've been using an RCBS pad and their lube.
I just came into several 100 1X fired 223 and had to try something different. I ran across that page that mbopp linked and saw the dishsoap tip on the bottom.
So I put a little on my brush and did all the necks, then layed'm all in a cake pan and "drizzled" a bit on'm and rolled'm around with my hand,,I let'm air dry about 1/2 an hour so they weren't "wet" and it worked great ;D

The soap left on'm was an added bounus. After trimming when it came time to wash, back in the cake pan,,a little water and sloshing/rinsing and their done.

I'm a litte concerned about build up in my die, but all I have to do is a water clean-up and I should be good again. I didn't have clear like the tip said, the Dawn Ultra I had on hand worked fine. Now those were just little 223, No Hydrolic marks, a little extra care might be advisable with big cases. I'll still use my pad and RCBS lube but for that volume of cases the soap worked.
found elsewhere

Offline Possumcop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
A friend of mine and his dad got me started reloading in the early eighties. They used STP oil treatment in their vehicles and would keep the bottles and use what didn't drain out of the bottle. They put a small amount of the STP on a old rag and wipe each case and would stored the rag for future use in a plastic bag. Worked well and I used it for a while then started trying different stuff. I have been using the Dillon spray for years now.
"Be who you are, say what you think, people that matter don't care, and
people that care don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »
I've been thinking about trying the isopropyl alcohol / lanolin mix. One thought - the "good" dry gas is isopropyl alcohol, I wonder what concentration it is?
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:41:01 AM »
I've been thinking about trying the isopropyl alcohol / lanolin mix. One thought - the "good" dry gas is isopropyl alcohol, I wonder what concentration it is?

I bought some lanolin and tried it.  The 90% isopropal alcohol does not work as well as the 100% stuff.  You can get the 100% at the pharmacy, but you usually have to ask for it and it costs a little more.  I don't recall the exact mixture, but seems like it was 1 or 2 tablespoons of the lanolin in an 8 oz bottle of alcohol.  I used a double boiler to bring the mixture to temperature to start the molecular dissolution.  I was really careful and used a container that was less than half full and supported so I did not spill anything on my electric stove.  I would not even try this on a gas stove.  Too explosive. 

Now for me it's easier and faster to pick up a bottle or two of the Dillon spray lube at the store.  Let Mike Dillon do all the work!!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »
One of the alternate ingredients of Ed's Red is methelethelkeytone. It is very nasty and carcinogenic. To properly use it you need to wear a respirator and gloves (that won't dissolve).
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:52:23 AM »
LEE resizing lube. It does not NEED to be removed before loading, as it doesnt affect powder, so long as it dries before you load the cases. It also works very well, and a little goes a long way! I get it for $2 a tube, so its cheap, too!

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:27 AM »
Yep, its hard to beat the Lee resizing lube, its what i use and yet to have a problem. it doesnt even have a foul smell to deal with.
its good stuff.