Author Topic: S&W VS RUGER  (Read 2263 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W VS RUGER
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
I trudged over to Collectors Firearms, here in Houston, yesterday.
Specifically to view the .327 magnum. They didn't have the Charter Arms but they did have the Ruger and Smith.
Compared the Ruger to the 632 in Smith.
The fit and finish of the Ruger was noticably less quality than the Smith.
The price difference is about $400.
The feel of the Ruger is not as good, in the hand, as the Smith.
There is actually no comparison worthy of words between the two ignition systems---Smith is hands down smoother and more even.
I would be proud to pay the $400 difference to get the Smith and feel like a fool for buying the Ruger.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: S&W VS RUGER
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
Witch model Ruger were you looking at?  I read on a post here that Ruger is offering their Blackhawk in a 8-shot in this cal.  I would think you were looking at the SP101 6-shot version, (double action, conceilable).
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
I had a Super Redhawk, it had the most horrible trigger I have ever owned.
 I bought a 686 and was amazed at the difference.
 In fact I just bought a 637 and it is even better than the 686. Handeled a SP101 just for the heck of it, Not.
In single action the 637 is smooth as silk and probably a little over 2 lbs trigger pull.
Never felt that I had to spend extra money for a trigger job on top of what these guns cost new.
I do have a SR9 so I am not anti- Ruger,and the trigger is not bad for a DAO Auto, but when it comes to revolvers, no comparison.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »
$400 will do quite a bit of custom work to the Ruger, you can end up with a very nice trigger.
Then again you still have that fit and finish. The way a gun feels in my hand means much to me, it is why I refuse to own a hi-point.
In the end the Ruger will still be stronger.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:49:39 AM »
RH
SP101--.
Ruger is a strong weapon--no doubt.
That 632 was a joy to hold--I tried to find something that I didn't like so I could justify a work-up on the Ruger.
We will see--it is a weapon I am thinking about for my daughter---well, maybe one for me also  :o :-X. She will make her own decisions.
I knew that, this post would drive some wild.
I really did/do like the Smith that much though.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline buffgun

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
to me a ruger just feels better although i dont like there warrenty pratice !

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
edited

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »

Ruger has gone out of the way to help me on the 3 different times I have returned a gun. Yes, if you send a gun back with an aftermarket part like a trigger they will remove it, charge you for a new one, and send the aftermarket one back with the repaired gun.

Offline buffgun

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:20 AM »

Ruger has gone out of the way to help me on the 3 different times I have returned a gun. Yes, if you send a gun back with an aftermarket part like a trigger they will remove it, charge you for a new one, and send the aftermarket one back with the repaired gun.
I sent a stainless super blackhawk in .44 mag where the barrel was turning in the frame ! thay ssaid that the gun was a complete rebuild ! after i got it back it blew up on the third shot !! by looking at the forcing cone you could see that it was dented and looked to be out of time ! the factory said it was me reloads . i dont remember what the charge was but i do remember that a double charge would overflow ! and i shot the rest of the box through my browing .44 levergun !thay would not warrenty the gun ( to bee honest i think it was cause thay didnt want to accept responsabilty  damn lawyers )

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
Searlock
You spend your money your way and you will never get a complaint from me.
I will spend my money my way---Comprende?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:23 AM »
edited

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
No I don't, from my front porch--and I said so.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
edited

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:26 AM »

???  You mean fix it if it needs fixing?  ???   I've heard of people sending 2nd hand beaters to Ruger and getting completely rebuilt guns back from them gratis.  What's not to like?

What is S&W's warranty by the way?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
I have owned both and own both now. Smiths have always been smoother but but I go with the Rugers as the Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, Redhawks and Super Redhawks are built like a tank. That and the price of the Smiths has gone thru the roof. Just a matter of what an individual wants.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
Back to the Dodge vs Ford thing, I mean Ruger, S&W.
I will agree the S&W is nicer out of the box. As what was stated before, is it enough nicer to justify the price difference?
At this time the only S&W I own is a 5" model 610. Nice gun, I just do not shoot it much, norr would I pay new cost for it.

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
I like Ruger. I've owned both and I really appreciate the S&Ws, but I've broken a few of them, (Model 66 seized up, Model 19 wore out, Model 60 & 36 loosened up some...) My Ruger's have held up to everything I could throw at them. My sp101 trigger broke in after awhile as did the trigger on my newest GP100. I shoot allot. My defense guns I have to qualify with and tend to shoot them even more. When I purchase a magnum I shoot magnums out of it not, 38spl at the range and magnums for carry.

I also purchased a used vaquero 45 colt with the front sight sawed down. I didn't realize it when I purchased it and I couldn't shoot it with anything over 700fps. I shipped it to Ruger with an explanation and they put on a new sight and reblued the gun for free. Three or four years ago I bought a brand new 686 w/6 inch barrel. It wouldn't shoot a group. My sp101 2 1/4 barrel would out shoot it. Turns out the cylinder gap was wide, but within S&W specs so they wouldn't touch it. I sold the 686 and bought a GP100.

Since then I've heard really good things about S&W customer service on defensive guns (specifically IDPA revolvers and the M&P auto.) I think the new S&Ws hold up better than the m19 I shot out twenty years ago. The 686 not grouping well turned me off S&W for the time being.

Offline LouisianaMan

• Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
I like Colts, Smiths & Rugers, but all in different ways. To me, Colts & Smiths have a blue steel sex appeal with their classic lines & designs. I grew up thinking they were the ne plus ultra of revolver designs. To me, the Ruger has never matched that appeal, but the Ruger has a strength that I don't think anything else can match.

I've had to replace one J-frame trigger return spring to make the DA pull manageable, and the same $10 investment turned two horrible SP101 DA triggers into smooth, easy shooters.

The only revolver I ever returned for service was a S&W Mod 66, and it was quickly fixed and returned to me in Germany. I've owned perhaps 4 Colts, 15 or so Smiths (OK, that counts several inbound), and at least 7 Rugers, and was pleased with all of them.
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
Let's look at the arguement here.
I have owned two Rugers--good rugged guns.
The thought process was for me. I said I would be willing to pay the difference in price for the Smith based on feel, looks, and features + the trigger.
I didn't say that anybody was stupid for not making the same decision---I said what I was willing to do.
The Smith is rugged enough for my purpose. If I was going to hot rod one , carry it in the field I probably would get a Ruger---maybe.
I gave an evaluation of my thoughts---you boys do it your way, it is your money, spend it the way you want.
You can argue with me about this til the cows come home--and it is a fun arguement---just don't call me stupid---I won't and don't think anyone is stupid for doing what they want if they think thru a process.
Now, I have made some stupid decisions in my life and some of them involved guns. I bought a Colt Mustang that was a worthless POS. The only way you could hit the side of a barn with it was if you were inside the barn---and then-maybe.
Enough of this---I should have let it go--it just reached up and bit me in the azz.
My bad and I apologize.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
Talk about stupid decisions. This has got me thinking about all the guns I've sold or traded in. I wished I'd kept them. Thinking back I can't remember how many J frames I've bought, and wouldn't you know it, I no longer own the Sp101!!!

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
I have a super redhawk Alaskan, 454Casull. A fine rugged gun. I was showing off some guns to a friends son, he handled a few S&Ws. Then he handled the Alaskan, said it didn't feel as solid or smooth. I mentioned the Smiths had spoiled him. How about Colt?

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 02:53:18 AM »
edited

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
William , I got the SP-101 and enjoy shooting it alot . With a trigger job ($40.00 ) the Ruger will ignite as smooth as any S&W . I have S&W revolvers that lack in the fit and finish Dept. also . I got my 327 when they first came out so I had no choice if i didn't wish to wait . Then I waited for ammo . I like Rugers but really have no dog in the fight as I carry a S&W 340PD . I would replace the 340 PD with a like gun in 327 for carry . But as far as a plinker I would feel foolish spending $400.00 more over the Ruger. Make tha $360.00 after the trigger job.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 05:58:36 AM »
Both brands have endearing qualities, Rugers cost less. I also like Fords.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
 Winston Churchill

Offline Brett

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 06:05:51 AM »
I'm in Louisianaman's court on this one.  You can't top S&W or Colt for sexy & smooth but if it's hammer nails with it tough your looking for look no further than Ruger.

Offline searlock

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 06:15:34 AM »
edited

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »
This is my Ruger [top] Smith [lower].
 Winston Churchill

Offline Brett

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 06:22:05 AM »
WTH did I just time warp back to Jr. High School?   Are you guys suffering from cabin fever or something?  What's with all the animosity?

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 06:59:40 AM »
Back to OP -
William,. you posted "for your daughter" and I'll assume it's the same daughter you posted awhile back about concerning gun ownership,etc. Has she gone through one of the training courses, or have you trained her up accordingly? Not an argument, just a question. I just gave my 24year old daughter my Ruger MKI 22 Auto last summer. She picked it out after a day at the range as the one she would like "when the time comes", so when we left to come home, I left it with her. I am noise sensitive, having lost my hearing to loud music, a 357mag, and improper hearing protection. I've read on here that the 327Fed is a terrific little round and as loud as a 30carbine in a revolver. This I would not get for my daughter. I would probably lean towards one of the new 44Spl's with a short barrel to help compactness. I'm understanding this not to be for a hunting or target purpose, but for self-assurance. The down-side of this is your daughter probably will not be handloading for this and expect the lighter revolver will probably have some recoil to contend with. The up-side would be if she ever "had to use it" in a hurry, she'd still be able to hear.

I have a friend in Wyoming who, at the request of some friends, taught a lady's group how to use a handgun for fun and defense. Given choices after they had been on the range, they all chose his 44Spl or his 45Colt revolver over his multitude of handguns in 32-20 up to 45acp. They cited control-ability and lower noise levels of his 4" 44Spl and 45Colt, prefering the larger revolvers.

I prefer Rugers to S&W from a price perspective. I bought several S&W's before we started having kids, and between diapers and child-support, the S&W's got sold and replaced with Rugers. As stated, I gave my daughter my Ruger 22 - totally because it was her choice and it was totally not for defense. If I were getting her something for fun and defense, I would look strongly at a 44Spl AND a S&W for all of your reasons; fit, finish, quality that only money can buy. I would not get her a single action in anything for defense. After all, she is my daughter and started shooting shortly after she was out of diapers.

I think you have your mind made up - and that's fine with me - it's all about choices and decisions. Whatever your choice, it will be a good one, and you will have put a lot of thought into it. After all, she is your daughter! Best of luck with both her and your decision!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
The reason I was investigating was thoughts about my daughter--I am committed to providing whatever she decides on.
I would buy the Smith for me--if I was going to buy one--I think the value is there.
If she decided she wanted that god awful Taurus Judge I would provide it--she might have to beg me though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD