Author Topic: Golf ball mortar question  (Read 1576 times)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Golf ball mortar question
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »
I was looking at the flat base mortars at "blackpowder-cannons.com". very reasonable price on the golf ball mortars and I think it would be a hoot with exploding shells/aerial bombs. My question is about the rod sticking out to the rear on the left trunnion, what is the purpose?
I've been making exploding shells for my homemade 16 gauge mortar using 5/8" OD cardboard tubes with a 20-30 grain ffg launching charge and have the fuse length pretty well worked out but would like a bigger aerial bang. The golf ball mortar could launch the 1 5/8" plastic ball shells for a good loud aerial blast.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Golf ball mortar question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:43:42 AM »
My question is about the rod sticking out to the rear on the left trunnion, what is the purpose?

That is a handle to allow you to tighten & loosen the tube to adjust the elevation. As, for the other stuff I believe that one of our Moderators will address that issue.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
This is an area we do not normally discuss here with good reason ATFE has certain limitations on how much propellant you  can load
into a shell. If you go through the threads on this site you will find we are shooting solid shot at targets no discussing
pyrotechnic displays.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »
I was looking at the flat base mortars at "blackpowder-cannons.com". very reasonable price on the golf ball mortars and I think it would be a hoot with exploding shells/aerial bombs. My question is about the rod sticking out to the rear on the left trunnion, what is the purpose?
I've been making exploding shells for my homemade 16 gauge mortar using 5/8" OD cardboard tubes with a 20-30 grain ffg launching charge and have the fuse length pretty well worked out but would like a bigger aerial bang. The golf ball mortar could launch the 1 5/8" plastic ball shells for a good loud aerial blast.

Coyotejoe, I moved your post out of the classifieds and here to the discussion board.  Please no discussion posts in the classifieds.

Pyrotechniques is not part of the this forum.  Neither Tim nor I have the technical knowledge or the legal expertise to moderate such discussions.  Lets say that a little simpler...we don't know enough to keep you from blowing yourself up or to keep you from getting arrested. We also don't do bail. There for pyrotechniques discussions are off limits in this forum.

A bit of confession, the subject does interest me.  I would like to learn more.  

If the there was some one with the  technical knowledge and legal expertise who would be willing moderate a discussion forum on home built Pyrotechniques, please step forward. I will help you start the process to see if a forum can be started on GBO.   Better be what you say you are as the folks here have sharp knives and no mercy. :)

In the meantimne no pyrotechniques disccusions here please.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 03:59:48 PM »
I was looking at the flat base mortars at "blackpowder-cannons.com". very reasonable price on the golf ball mortars...

I didn't reconize the website, until  I checked....Thats Dom one of our sponsors.  You will get a good cannon from him!