Author Topic: Postal Shoot?  (Read 18404 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Postal Shoot?
« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
  tempus fugit! 

Okay I looked that up, it's acceptable here!!!   ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
You and Victor are really on top of your games today. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
New member "Jackguns" had asked a question about firing a 12 guage slug out of his .69 caliber cannon, and ever since, I've been thinking about using some old foster slugs (I've got sitting around here somewhere) in my .69 cal. barrel.

I have a feeling that I know what the answer is going to be, but what the heck it's worth a try. ::)  DD, what do you think about the idea of using 12 gauge slugs in the Postal Comp.?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2010, 12:00:59 PM »
I would try them on some other target first and  make sure they work

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »
I don't care but I thought we said round balls only.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
I don't care but I thought we said round balls only.

You  are correct George and so it shall be---it says it in the Postal rules.

1st Annual GBO Miniature Cannon Club Postal Shoot.

Starting February 1, 2010 and ending September 22 the range is open for the 1st Annual GBO Miniature Cannon Club Postal Shoot. This shoot is to carry on the tradition of miniature cannon shooting as practice by the South African Miniature Cannon Club, Durban, South Africa. All shooting shall be in keeping with the spirit of that tradition- "shoot in the spirit of the original".

This shoot is for miniature smoothbore Cannons under .800 shooting round ball projectiles using black powder.

The course of fire is 6 shots fired at 22 yards on a B17 target. Two targets are fired and scored. The best 5 shots on each target are scored.  Shots touching the line scores the higher value.

Guns cannot have sights, but muzzle disks and target spots are allowed.

Breech rope/recoil restraints are allowed, but guns can not be tied down or anchored.  The exception is swivel guns.  Guns like those used in fortifications mounted on sliding carriages are not considered tied down or anchored.  Shooting platforms are allowed.

Entry fee is $3 for 2 targets, reentry or multiple entries is $3 for 2 targets. No limit on number of entries.

To enter click on the email icon under my user name at the left and send me a message asking for entry.  I will send you an email with the address info where to send your entry fee.  

You get two targets. Practice on some other targets and shoot these two targets only for score. Targets with more than 6 shots will be disqualified.  After shooting fill out the label on the target and return them to the address on the back.  Targets must be post marked no later than September 24.

All scores will be posted.  Ties will broken by earliest post mark.

Prizes-none, other than the prestige of shooting your cannon well.

Aiming and target spot instructions have been posted at Aiming a Cannon without sights, South African style .  

It has been suggested that you post pictures of targets and guns.  That’s optional, but encouraged.  Post them to this thread.

Q&A's on the postal are found in the post Postal Shoot.  Look there first.  If the answer is not there, ask your question there.

FIRE!!!!!!!

Sorry BoomJ,  round balls...besides I think you would be disappointed in the 12 gauge slugs...you should try them any way and report back to us. And it is something we can consider for next years postal.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »
You know I saw DD's post yesterday and I was just coming on this thread to say: I'm glad I asked, because I was pretty sure you were going to say, 'no because the shotgun slug wouldn't be in the spirit of the original competition', so I was kind of surprised when you said go for it.

Well, George, that was then and this is now; isn't it? ;)  By the way, shouldn't you be spending all your available free time trying to complete the carriage for the Rodman, so you'll be able to get your targets in under the deadline? :) ;D :D

Seriously, it strikes me as funny that I've had this .69 cal. cannon for so many moons, but until "Jackguns" mentioned the slugs, I had never thought of it before. Just for kicks I am going to conduct a trial to see if they're more accurate than ball.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #217 on: September 05, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
After reading this thread I realized that I have a .69 spanish barrel in my collection.  I also have a cannon that shoots 12 ga shotgun shells. For some reason it never occurred to me to try a slug in the .69 till reading about it here.  Just went out and tried 1 oz slug over 40 grains of jacks 3f and was pleasantly surprised, to me it was way more accurate than round balls I shot before. Since I have a mold for the slugs and not that size ball it works out even better.
Bob

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #218 on: September 05, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
I just passed on a TC blackpowder rifle in .54 caliber for $60.  Might have been the basis for a small cannon, but I have enough projects.....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
By the way, shouldn't you be spending all your available free time trying to complete the carriage for the Rodman, so you'll be able to get your targets in under the deadline?

Actually, the Rodman is not my entry in the contest, my .50 cal Brooke is, even though the .69 cal ball would be an advantage.  For sizing, the barrel is 7 5/16" long.

Click the image for a larger picture.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2010, 03:37:47 AM »
You guys who think larger bore give you an advantage because you can miss further are wrong, you have to miss closely to gain an advantage.  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »
Actually, the Rodman is not my entry in the contest, my .50 cal Brooke is, even though the .69 cal ball would be an advantage.  For sizing, the barrel is 7 5/16" long.

Aaahhh, so you've been holding out on us, I've never seen your Brooke double banded before.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
This was a "contest" entry for the most recent building contest (along with a stainless Napoleon) and I thought I had posted pix of both but I couldn't find any evidence on my home computers although I did just find the thread hereThis is the Napoleon thread.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
GG,
Thanks for posting links to those past threads; I must have been MIA at that time, because I have no recollection of the contest, or your barrels. I've saved both the drawings, and pic of the double banded Brooke's gun for future reference. The top barrel in the photo is my future candidate for some plastic surgery to try and make it resemble the Brooke double banded.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
I've saved both the drawings ...

Be my guest but keep in mind that the Brooke drawings are eyeballed from the photo of the real one and are not from measured data.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
I've saved both the drawings ...

Be my guest but keep in mind that the Brooke drawings are eyeballed from the photo of the real one and are not from measured data.

Thanks, I figured that George. I just want to get the profile to get fairly close to looking like the Brooke. After filing that base ring off, placing the second band on should be easy enough, it's the radiusing of the rear of the barrel that's going to be the hard part.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2010, 12:10:14 PM »
That hemispherical breech was done in step fashion with a file to smooth the steps.  I find that minimizing the filing gives the best results.  A non-spherical surface is readily visible to the unaided eye so I do the math and cut lots of steps and get more pleasing results even though it is more work.

If you have to do it by hand, make a template from cardstock to use as a comparison device.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »
Yes, I'm sure you're right, unfortunately the file is what I've got to work with at this time, that's why it's going to be hard.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
After reading this thread I realized that I have a .69 spanish barrel in my collection.  I also have a cannon that shoots 12 ga shotgun shells. For some reason it never occurred to me to try a slug in the .69 till reading about it here.  Just went out and tried 1 oz slug over 40 grains of jacks 3f and was pleasantly surprised, to me it was way more accurate than round balls I shot before. Since I have a mold for the slugs and not that size ball it works out even better.
Bob

Rmagill,
I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow and fire some 12 gauge slugs out of my .69 cal. Napoleon. In just giving it a think, I would tend to believe that the slugs would be more accurate than ball; I wish I had some Brenneke type slugs to compare with the old open hollow bottom Foster slugs that I've got.
As I'm sitting here typing this it just dawned on me that this summer I've only gotten my sorry butt to the range three times, that's truly pathetic, but it's been a hectic season.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »

I made some progress on the carriage last night; I will add pix tonight.  Now I have to inlet the cheeks for the transoms.

Click for a larger image.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2010, 11:55:25 AM »
After reading this thread I realized that I have a .69 spanish barrel in my collection.  I also have a cannon that shoots 12 ga shotgun shells. For some reason it never occurred to me to try a slug in the .69 till reading about it here.  Just went out and tried 1 oz slug over 40 grains of jacks 3f and was pleasantly surprised, to me it was way more accurate than round balls I shot before. Since I have a mold for the slugs and not that size ball it works out even better.
Bob

Rmagill,
I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow and fire some 12 gauge slugs out of my .69 cal. Napoleon. In just giving it a think, I would tend to believe that the slugs would be more accurate than ball; I wish I had some Brenneke type slugs to compare with the old open hollow bottom Foster slugs that I've got.
As I'm sitting here typing this it just dawned on me that this summer I've only gotten my sorry butt to the range three times, that's truly pathetic, but it's been a hectic season.

I didn't attempt any kind of valid research with my accuracy test, I only had seven slugs to fire, but compared to lead round ball I'd agree with Bob that the slugs are more accurate (at least at the 22 yds. distance I marked out).

George, this last Sat. I decided to use my .69 cal. Napoleon, and I also decided to make a stationary carriage (like Southpaw made for his SAMCC barrel) instead of using the field carriage that it came with. I've also got to put the finishing touches on my shooting platform, so if all this doesn't get done before this coming Sat. I'm screwed as far as the 'Postal Shoot' goes; I hope God loves procrastinators!  

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
(like Southpaw made for his SAMCC barrel)
« Reply #231 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
Southpaw did not make that base , he was too lazy , he ordered it from the maker of the SAMCC barrel   ;D

Now considering  making a similar base for the 38 call barrel he also did not make . :D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #232 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »
You guys dont even want to see the "slap something together so i can shoot it" base mine has been in for ten years.  I used the 1 oz slug just cause it was a little longer than the 3/4 and hopefully more stable. My slugs are some generic hollow slug with a wall across the inside center.   At 20 yds we were hitting a paper plate about every other shot using a rock for an elevation device, not too scientific but usually works.
Bob

Offline Double D

« Reply #233 on: September 16, 2010, 06:53:37 AM »
You guys better get busy Dead line is fast approching. You have until last day of summer to shoot!  One more weekend to shoot!!!!

Get busy you guys....

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #234 on: September 16, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »
     We are gathering the camping gear together today, DD.  It's Camp Hale or Bust on Friday!  First time in 5 years that I've done an overnight campout.  Cool mountain air and sleeping on cots make for pleasant sleeping conditions for these old bones.  Early Saturday morning we will strike the tents and move about a mile to the 10th Mountain Division's WWII Infantry Small Arms Range for a full day of cannonading.  Shooting the SAMCC course with lead round shot, lead golf balls from our Mallet's Mortar Jr. and pool balls from Gary's SBR Coehorn will be the order of the day.  No STEEL SHOT on this trip.  The fire danger is still very high and we Don't want to make the 6 o'clock news!

We might even take a few snapshots,

Mike, Tracy and Capt. Pugwash
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2010, 08:57:25 AM »
overnight ?
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #236 on: September 16, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »
overnight ?

Better take your "Teddy Bear". :D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: (like Southpaw made for his SAMCC barrel)
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »
Southpaw did not make that base , he was too lazy , he ordered it from the maker of the SAMCC barrel   ;D

Now considering  making a similar base for the 38 call barrel he also did not make . :D

I should have known that a 'landed gentry' type such as yourself couldn't be bothered with making his own carriage, but a poor guy like me that measures the borders of his property by the size of his feet has to occasionally resort to such distasteful things. :) ;D :D

Offline Double D

« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
In fairness to southpaw if oak could be welded he would made the carriage.  Southpaw is a farmer. Farmers only need building skills during planting and harvest when something breaks down. During harvest and planting repairs have to be done quick and dirty.  No time for drill and tap--blow a hole with a torch and weld a nut on and get back to work.

This is the way Southpaw has done it for years and after every cannon shooting session when you sit down to a nice cold beer thank a farmer for the expedient action to get the grain to the brewer in a timely manner.

Now, I have been working with him trying to get him retrained. I am learning there may be something to the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Actually I do have a fairly well equipted wood shop , I just need to weld up a bit more organizational shelving to get it back on line .  I remodeled /rebuilt -added on to shop and still am organizing the various shops in to order.  I will have  (after 40 years of poor guy status) 3 complete shops . Machine shop , wood shop , and mechanical shop all in one cobbled together building . Great for Retired , now "Landed Gentry" folks .  ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .