Author Topic: Postal Shoot?  (Read 18390 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Postal Shoot?
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
Everyone has to wear a patch on one eye. ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »
Zulu

I think that's EXCELLENT advice!  By sighting with ONE eye open and NOT squinting one's face is more relaxed.  A target shooter's technique from away back.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
Much like the ASSRA shoots here in Virginia.  If one is competing it is with him/herself.  Lots of help from folks that are masters.

Back to the questions.  This is a postal competition, is it not?

My interpretation of 'the spririt of the original' is doing it with what one has under the circumstances that are imposed by reality of  the day.  Hence, my muzzle disk will be made from steel or aluminum scraps with a vertical scribed mark and a horizontal mark as you have in your photo series.  The disk will be fastened to a rod that fits into the muzzle.

Or would that be going to far?

Sounds just like the one I built up thread....

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
This is probably a dumb question: Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having a larger or smaller bored cannon?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
It appears from the photos that most of the South African shooters favored guns that were relatively large for their caliber.

Heavy gun, small bore, stable platform. This, theoretically, would seem to be the combination most conducive to repeatable accuracy.

Of course, I could be also totally wrong. That's why we need to actually shoot the guns.  ;D

YMMV and all the usual anacronyms...

BTW: DD, did you get my e-mail?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
This is probably a dumb question: Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having a larger or smaller bored cannon?

Larger is better . ;)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »
Larger is better assuming equal accuracy, if the score is for the edge of the hole.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »
It appears from the photos that most of the South African shooters favored guns that were relatively large for their caliber.

Heavy gun, small bore, stable platform. This, theoretically, would seem to be the combination most conducive to repeatable accuracy.

Of course, I could be also totally wrong. That's why we need to actually shoot the guns.  ;D

YMMV and all the usual anacronyms...

Most shoot a 50 or 54, mostly 54. There barrels are longer-longer sight radius.  the Guns are accordingly bigger.

The club gun thatBrooks sells as the SAMCC gun use to be one of the top shooting guns in the club.  It has been shot steady for over 30 years.  The throat is eroded pretty bad and the gun throws fliers.  The bronze gun I brought back was the first gun to shot a score of 50.  It was a the top shooting gun in the club for many years, they it went sour.

After I bought the gun I cleaned the  barrel and got a ton of lead out of the barrel and was one of the top shooters when I shoot at the next match. Beat the guy I bought it from.  

The first time I shoot, I shot Mike Pilgrim's gun.  His Napolean is 50 cal, long barrel field pattern gun with oversized swell. The gun shot a patched round ball.  I don't remember what the charge was, but most people shot either 40 grains or 90 grains.

You all have seen the this picture before.

That is my first ever shoot at SAMCC.  Here is the target from my first shoot.

THe loading drill for the cannon  was:

Wet patch wrapped around a bore brush, up and donthe bore a couple of times.
Dry patch around a bore brush up and down the bore.
Vent pick put in vent and left.
Barrel held up right a powder poured down bore
Patch put over muzzle and ball put on top and seated so ball is flush with muzzle and excess patch is trimmed off.
Ball is then seated on the powder.
Gun is put on shooting platform, vent pick is pulled and fast buring powder is pout in vet to charge.
Gun aimed.

The shoot master then moves down the line firing the guns.

Offline Double D

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »

Haven't seen a email yet! 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »
 Hence, my muzzle disk will be made from steel or aluminum scraps with a vertical scribed mark and a horizontal mark as you have in your photo series.  The disk will be fastened to a rod that fits into the muzzle.

That's what I'm going to make, Cat. Basically following DD's post, but making the disc (marked with cross hairs) out of metal, and giving it a slightly larger diameter than the breech ring.

Ex 49'er,
I've been pondering the same question, because I've got a choice of using a few different size guns under .80 caliber. I think George has got to be right, in that if the guns being fired were of the same relative accuracy, then the one firing a larger size ball would give you an edge in scoring. Then again, maybe these South Africans know something we don't, because (as Douglas said) the majority of the club shooters are firing .54 cal. cannons with long barrels. The length of barrel is another consideration; my .50 is only 10-inches long, while the .75 is 16-inches, so I'd think the longer sight radius would be a plus. Got to wait for the weather to warm up, so I can get to the range, and start experimenting. For now, I'm occupying myself with building the platform.

Zulu

Isn't one of the SAMCC shooters shown wearing an eyepatch to aid in sighting his gun, in one of the photos that Douglas posted?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2010, 12:31:38 AM »

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »

There are two issues.  First, for a given gun, the larger the bore the more recoil, hence less stable - in theory.  Second, for a given target with various sizes of holes, the larger holes can be centered further from the ring and it's edge will still cut the ring.  [In ASSRA shooting, the .40 or over scoring is done by the CENTER of the hole must cut the edge of the ring to be scored in the next higher ring.]  AND, third of course is the sight radius.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »
 Hence, my muzzle disk will be made from steel or aluminum scraps with a vertical scribed mark and a horizontal mark as you have in your photo series.  The disk will be fastened to a rod that fits into the muzzle.

That's what I'm going to make, Cat. Basically following DD's post, but making the disc (marked with cross hairs) out of metal, and giving it a slightly larger diameter than the breech ring.

Ahhh, yes.  Bigger in diameter to allow for a little recoil to raise the bore before the ball exits.  So, replaceable disks of slightly different diameters to accomodate different ranges!   ;D  THANKS!

The friendly competition has started!  Definately "in the spirit of the original" - whatever that was.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:31 AM »
Now your getting spirit!  Shooting the gun and making it work.  A little bit of irrelvant compition to make you different things.

It will be interesting to hear the results if your tests with the different size muzzle disks.  Two things to keep in mind The muzzle disks used by SA guys were the same diameter as the back of the gun. I don't know if that was a starting point or something that evolved after trial and error. I would think you should test both larger and smaller disks.  Be sure and report back with with you results.

I have never used the disk.  Since I made one I suppose I should try.

The better shooters did not use the disk.  The better shooters had muzzle swells that were the same size as the rear.

The thing that the majority of the shoots in SA did use was the Target spot.  I will try that  also.

Offline Double D

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »

Offline Double D

« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2010, 06:12:11 PM »
Has every one who sent money for targets, now got them?

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23:55 AM »
Got mine.  ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:20 AM »
BoomJ, yours will go out Monday!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2010, 01:55:33 PM »
DD,
Got my targets today.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »
Great!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
Gary and Walt your targets are headed your way!!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
Hey Douglas; I've never used pistol targets like these before, they're pretty darn big, so I figure this is a good thing. Now, I'm not saying that these are going to help me put any more holes in the black, but their size may at least help me to place a few more balls in the 1 through 6 rings. :D

Offline Double D

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:02 AM »
Yeah they are big aren't they!   And at 22 yards, close too!

Offline Double D

« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2010, 04:17:22 PM »
bringing this back to the top to remind everyone...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

I got 'em....   Need to pay ya for a dozen.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

I got 'em....   Need to pay ya for a dozen.

No those are for your cannon shot.  If some one wants to shoot the postal shoot at your gathering, collect the $3 and give them the two targets.  Send me the money!  Have who ever shoots the targets send them to me after they shoot on them.  Take pictures!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
Tim, please tell me that that's 2 for you, and 2 each for 5 other shooters; an even dozen gives too much of an edge to one man, even you. :D  ;)

I got a 1-inch thick piece of plywood the other day that I'm going to make the shooting platform from, and its got to be cut down from a length of 48".

Douglas, my question is this: You originally gave dimensions of 18" x 24" for the platform, but you didn't say it had to be that size; if someone wants it longer and/or wider, is that OK, as long as the cannon itself is positioned 22 yards from the target?

Offline Double D

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
Cannon platform not required, but helpful. Make it fit your needs.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2010, 01:51:03 AM »
Tim, please tell me that that's 2 for you, and 2 each for 5 other shooters; an even dozen gives too much of an edge to one man, even you. :D  ;)

I hope to have ONE entry - a .50 cal that will get reamed a little larger and the carriage rebuilt.

The rest will be for others, (THANKS DD) at the 3AANRVM&CS.  (I'll add that to the list in a day or three.)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:49 AM »
I'm not suggesting you shoot the postal at your shoot--unless you want---just targets will available at the shoot.