Author Topic: Postal Shoot?  (Read 18443 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Postal Shoot?
« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »
Okay I will have to say his three shops  do have more square feet that my whole house.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »
Actually I do have a fairly well equipted wood shop , I just need to weld up a bit more organizational shelving to get it back on line .  I remodeled /rebuilt -added on to shop and still am organizing the various shops in to order.  I will have  (after 40 years of poor guy status) 3 complete shops . Machine shop , wood shop , and mechanical shop all in one cobbled together building . Great for Retired , now "Landed Gentry" folks .  ;D
Okay I will have to say his three shops  do have more square feet that my whole house.

Sounds exotically spacious! :o  I've got a small work space in the back room of the basement that my better half refers to as my cave, although I do also have half a side wall where my reloading bench is, and I've got a whole wall of the garage where I can work if I move the car out. :(
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »

That makes spring cleaning easier for one of you.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »
     We just learned something about our chosen site for shooting the SAMCC course.  Not only have we found quite a few pieces of old .30-06 brass, all dated 1942 and 1943 in our travels there, around the old Infantry Small Arms Range, but we also learned that before the land of Camp Hale, near Leadville, Colorado, was ceded to the National Forest Service in 1966, there had been two brief E.O.D. cleanups of the area and what they found surprised even an old Infantryman like myself.  Apparently, their training was very complete in that it included firing (this list is derived from the types of fragments or unexploded ordnance found on this site which is now on the Nation Historic Register), everything from M-1 Garands to 3.5" Bazookas, 60mm Mortars, (Mike and I found some fragments and a fin assy. from one 25 years ago), a larger anti-tank rocket, (the CIA trained Tibetan troops here in 1964 or 1965 and perhaps used Russian ordnance), 20mm cannon shells, several types of land mines, etc.

So I guess we were pretty lucky we did not find any of those dud mortar shells or forgotten land mines the hard way when we dragged my 275 pound, 4" Bore, 1797 mortar around with a chain, behind my Subaru Hatchback in 1979.  Probably a good thing that we mostly stuck to the roads!  The last and most complete ordnance survey was done in 2002 and 2003 and it yielded a further 14 items of unexploded ordnance!

I doubt that learning this will deter Gary from going up there with us, after all he has a "suspicion about ammunition" which is what keeps you alive during these chance encounters!!

So, anybody else wait until almost the last minute to fire this SAMCC course??

Gaskill?  Have you been practicing day and night with that beautiful Double-Banded Brooke you made?  Come on, show us a target, we want to know what we have to beat.  We know we can't beat Double D., but we aren't sure about you.  Show a target, a good one, no sand-bagging, George.  Come on........please?

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
Got up this morning went to let the dogs out and they wouldn't go.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
"Jingle Bells"  :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
     Brrrrrrrr.   750 miles south of you it's a balmy 67 degs F., DD.   Nice talking to you today, and you didn't complain about the weather a bit.  Very stoic of you, I must say.

Tracy

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
Show a target, a good one, no sand-bagging, George.  Come on........please?

I have been trying to build the Marsilly carriage for the Brooke but just can't finish it fast enough.  However, I remembered the comment about Southpaw's carriage and decided to whip out something that would hold the barrel so I could shoot it.  So I plan to fire my targets Sunday after our high power rifle match.  No idea how well it will group.

Note the liberal use of drywall screws.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:16 AM »

Wow! :o
95 degrees here today.  I've said it before.  At least its a "wet" heat. :-\ :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:50 AM »
Hurry and get to shooting you guys...

Just so you know, I will be keeping your scores and establishing you handicaps for next year.  Low score this year means big score next year!!!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
Low score this year means big score next year!!!

Does that mean we have to use the same gun next year???
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »
what ??
have your wife been out shakin the down pillows before you wake up ??
you got to buy some new now , they leak to much down  ;D

and the barley grain aint harvested yet ??
is this normal up there ??

I think we got short summers here , but thats nothing against what you seem to have .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
Barley is still green, and it is a bit early for snow even for us.   Just checked and my tomatoes aren't even wilted.  

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2010, 06:23:26 PM »

Wow! Winter in September?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2010, 06:38:52 PM »
It's not called winter up here, it's just the last day of summer.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2010, 08:40:07 AM »
Some serious wet here, range called on account of rain! Last open window of opportunity tomorrow morning; prayer to St. Barbara.

Offline Double D

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
Deadline change to a October 1 to accommodate procrastinators and weather! 

Offline Double D

« Reply #257 on: September 18, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
NOTE: Because of snow in Montana in September, deadline has been Extended.  Shoot no later than midnight Sunday September 26, 2010.  Postmark no later than October 1, 2010.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:50 PM »

Histerically accurate!   (Wartime expedient.)   ;D

Show a target, a good one, no sand-bagging, George.  Come on........please?

I have been trying to build the Marsilly carriage for the Brooke but just can't finish it fast enough.  However, I remembered the comment about Southpaw's carriage and decided to whip out something that would hold the barrel so I could shoot it.  So I plan to fire my targets Sunday after our high power rifle match.  No idea how well it will group.

Note the liberal use of drywall screws.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #259 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
I think George got a deal on drywall screwss

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #260 on: September 18, 2010, 04:12:09 PM »
George i hope you win something so that carriage makes the calender ! I hope it groups as well as it looks .....  ;D

Mike , Tracy and I just shot our targets today at camp Hale , it is a very peacful place in the mountians .

I shot 34 on both targets ,Mike did better on one and not as good on the other .

I shattered a pool ball on a sheet on granite wall .  ;D This was with the south bend 2.25 cohorn mortar . It shattered some stone as well .

Then I shattered a molar on a deli sandwich ..... OUCHH ! Four seemingly large pieces old tooth decided to just fall out of my head ......

Back to the government dentist  :-\ ...... This wont hurt a bit !

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2010, 05:19:01 PM »
It's not called winter up here, it's just the last day of summer.
We never have winter in Fl...it just starts to get comfortable...then gets hot again.

Then I shattered a molar on a deli sandwich ..... OUCHH ! Four seemingly large pieces old tooth decided to just fall out of my head ......

Back to the government dentist  :-\ ...... This wont hurt a bit !
I know your pain Gary!

I had one of my molars shatter on a peanut while eating kung pao chicken a few years ago.  It was excruciating for about 3 weeks, but the pain eventually went away.  It's come back again a few times, and the little bits of tooth left have progressively gotten smaller, but I never bothered to get it pulled.  Went to a surgeon once who wanted to pull all my wisdom teeth, but never went back.  Should get it done sometime, but I hate dentistry.  Hope it goes well for you.

How about some pictures from your shooting/targets?

Offline Double D

« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »
George i hope you win something so that carriage makes the calender ! I hope it groups as well as it looks .....  ;D

Mike , Tracy and I just shot our targets today at camp Hale , it is a very peacful place in the mountians .

I shot 34 on both targets ,Mike did better on one and not as good on the other .

I shattered a pool ball on a sheet on granite wall .  ;D This was with the south bend 2.25 cohorn mortar . It shattered some stone as well .

Back to the government dentist  :-\ ...... This wont hurt a bit !

Gary

So you say, post the targets in the postal sticky!

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Nice elevation screw George
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2010, 07:18:22 AM »
how is it for repeatability ?

Get er done  works in most cases  ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
I have learned that due to some ....... errors ..... :D the #1 cammera teams ,#1 pics may or may not have worked ????

So here are some I took .

We found a likely spot in the Camp Hale site .

Here is our shooting bench .

Tracy is aimming .

It didnt do him much good .... ;)

The french 75 didnt fire the course as it was taking too long . It did however fire balls into the hillside . LOUD !

I gave Morko a workout a got a couple of hits out of three on the leftside cardboard at 22 yds.

Here is the 1660 VOC gun that all three of us used to shoot.

second look ,just because I like to look at it ! ;D

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
     The targets have been shot and scored except for mine.  My targets were shot at.  But anyway, they will be posted in the sticky thread on this topic later on.  Sometimes the journey toward the goal is more interesting than the results.  So, without more blather we bring you along on a Saturday in the Rockies.

Mike, Tracy and the Captain

We took Colorado 91 over from Copper Mountain to Leadville, going over Fremont Pass and passing the Climax Molybdenum Mine on the way.

The Climax Molybdenum Mine, an open pit mine, ate half the mountain over the last 90 years or so to get at that silvery, slippery metal which strengthens steel and lubricates moving parts very well.

Headwaters of the Arkansas River.  George, this is the actual 'Put-In Point' for sail and motor boats destined for all points south and east.

We changed roads at Leadville and went north on State route 24 about 8 miles to this point, the entrance to Camp Hale National Historical Site.  The 10th Mountain Division and other Infantry units trained here in 1942 and 1943 for the Invasion of Italy.

According to some survivors of this high mountain training and European WWII Campaigns this entire flat bottomed valley was normally so choked with coal smoke from railroad engines that breathing was difficult.  The wood smoke from the huge bread baking ovens didn't help any.

We found a nice spot surrounded by cliffs and aspen groves near the Camp Hale small arms range, but out of the wind a bit.  Tracy aims the Loverenz Gun here without much effect on the target.  I think I shot an 11 or 12 (highest target, the other was untouched!)

Gary aims, Tracy observes and stands by the fire extinguisher ready to attack any hot fuse on grass events, should they occur.

Mike loads the .50 cal Loverenz Gun.  We used 35 grains of FFg and a swaged .490" dia. ball, no patch.  Target was at 22 yards, exactly.

Mike grins as he poses with his winning target, a 35 score; Gary, very upset about being aced out by one point appears to be going postal at the Postal Match...................not really of course.

Offline Double D

« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
I hope you guy shot two targets for a total 12 rounds, 6 rounds in each target...it takes two targets for entry.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »
Sure did, just posted a few on the Sticky Postal Shoot thread a few minutes ago.

Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
There is  reason the South Africans get down on their belly's to aim the guns.   

Looks like you guys had a good time shooting....that's the real purpose of the drill!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »

That looks like a candidate for a broadside gun for your sailing ship.

That looks a little shallow even for my canoe (artillery installation to be shown in a future post.)
GG
--Winston Churchill