Author Topic: Postal Shoot?  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Postal Shoot?
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
Thank goodness DD extended the time limit again! I made it to the range Sunday (good weather), but had to leave at around 1:00, because my cousin (who came with) had to catch a later flight to Ohio. I would have had more than enough time, but too many club members decided to shoot this day, causing major delays. I fired off six shots on one target, but will have to shoot the second target next weekend. My cousin took pictures on his camera, and he'll be back Wed., so I'll post some then.

George; something similar to your emergency carriage was the direction I was going to take, because two Saturdays ago at the range I lost one of the capsquares for the field carriage of my .69 caliber gun, but this last Sat. I decided to bang out a jerry built temporary capsquare replacement instead. I spent around three hours bending, hammering, drilling, and filing a steel bracket I found in the junk drawer, and while (like your carriage) it may not be very pretty, it served to hold the barrel on.
I think the appearance of your carriage and my capsquare are what art critics refer to as "form following function." :D

Edit: Changed time to 1:00   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
I am glad to see you guys getting into this and trying something different.  First time is always the hardest.

Fortunately for me, I was able to shoot with experienced shooter to guide and advise me.  

At the Cut Bank Cannon Convention 2011 I will be putting on a South African Miniature Cannon Club shot.  This will be the lead off event on Sunday. I hope to be able to pass on what few skills I have.

Offline NVWalt

« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
That Cut Bank Cannon shoot for next year sounds like a good excuse for a road trip and a little R and R.

Offline Double D

« Reply #273 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
Just a reminder tomorrow is the post mark deadline for the Postal. 

If you think your scores are good enough think again.  Here is the last mohts match Reports form the Cannon club in Durban South Africa.  Look at the scores.  If you fired both targets and only scored the best 5 shoots, you were right in there with the rest of SA shooters. Cheap shot fully in tended.  Numbers in Parentheses is the handicap. Oh yes the score is the average of the two fired.

Dear Members and Gunners,

You may have noticed that there was no news letter for August, must apologize, just to busy, but here are the scores for that shoot.   

Scores for August.
              Friend                      Brian             48  (3)           1st    overall
              Hamlinton                Colin            45  (5)           2nd   overall     
              Hamilton                  Don              44  (3)           3rd   overall     
              McCain                    Patrick          41  (11)         1st    on handicap
              Grayson                   Don              39  (10)          2nd   on handicap   
              Visser             John           43  (6)           2nd   on handicap   
              Willers                     Pete              33  (11)          3rd    on handicap   
              Beach                      Stan              40 (8)             3rd    on handicap   
              Bellars                     Colin            20 (12)

Brian Friend managed an aggregate of 94 for the shoot and the Friend trophy. 

Had to happen sooner than latter, forgot my cannon barrel at home and was obliged to shoot the clubs cannon,  - oh boy and my score reflects that, I can only wonder with humble respect and amazement at how well Douglas Dickens managed to shoot “that” small cannon. The guests have my sympathy.

Douglas presented a really inspiring and detailed report about building and shooting a copy of  “that” clubs cannon. The folder also has 2 DVD, with photos and videos of the building of the cannon and some artillery manuals. Beautiful beautiful Douglas.

Scores for September.
            Friend                      Brian             48   (3)          1st    overall
            Hamlinton               Colin             47   (5)          2nd   overall 
            McCain                    Patrick          42   (10)        3rd   overall     
            Beach                       Stan              40  (8)           1st    on handicap
            Bellars                      Colin            34  (12)         2nd   on handicap   
            Beach                       Fay               35   (9)          3rd    on handicap   
            Visser                        John         24   (6)   

Brian Friend managed an aggregate of 94 for the shoot and the Friend trophy. 
Our guest for the day was Garry shooting a 27, well done.

Regards,

John Visser.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #274 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
I'll post this here, but I didn't get to shoot the second target, so I'm not in the competition. I just couldn't get back to the range on a weekend, even with the second extension date, but I did have some fun shooting and that was the whole point. Next year (new years resolution) no procrastination. :(

The target was set at 66' from the front of the bench, and I was using my 15-inch long, .69 caliber steel Napoleon.

I had to cut leather pieces to hold the capsquare (that I made to replace the lost one) down tight.

First three: No.1 into the 7 ring, No.2 overcompensated with the screw and got it in the one ring, No.3 in the 8 ring breaking the 9 ring.

Got fancy and hung the target on the rec room sliding glass door to examine.

No.4 landed in the eight ring (bottom), No.5 in the nine ring breaking the ten, and No.6 broke the paper right next to the third shot through the eight ring (yes boys it may be a fluke, but nevertheless it did happen).:P  I got a score of 43. This .69 Napoleon is a good shooter, I was impressed with five in the black.

Video of gun firing.
http://i338.photobucket.com/download-albums/n417/BoomJ100/Album%20II/PostalMatch016Video_0001.mp4
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
Boom J,

Good shooting. How about some close up pics of that fine looking field piece.
Max

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:52 AM »
Boom j looks like fun outing, thanks for sharing..

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
Thanks guys!
Here are the other two close-ups I've got. 

I was getting tired last night and I counted all six shots, best five gives me a score of 42.
I used Goex FFg loaded loose, measured with a Lee 3.7 cc powder dipper (54.40 grain), firing unpatched CVA .690 diam. lead ball.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
      Boom J.   Thanks for posting those pictures.  The other members are right; that's a nice looking gun!  When will you be painting it?  Sorry, but DD is off thrashing or threshing or scything, I forget which.  I have to hold up his end on this one, because Tim's only line is:  "What do you shoot?", and that does not make any sense in this context.

Seriously though, with scores like that on both targets in next year's Postal Shoot, you will be a force with which to be reckoned!  Good shooting!

Tracy and Mike 
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #279 on: October 08, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »
John,

I do hope you got the one target in the mail. You would not have been in last place.

Offline Double D

« Reply #280 on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
John,

I just looked at your video of your cannon shooting.  Is it a illusion or arethe wheels of your gun skidding backwards with out turning until the trial hits the stop?

I saw some guns a Fort Shenandoah do that also. Cool!

By the way that is some good shooting  with that gun!

Offline Double D

« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
The results are posted for the first postal shoot.  Good shooting guys!!!  

If there is an interest I will hold another shoot next year.  Opening date for the shoot if there is an interest will be March 20-Ring in the spring day.

Is there any interest?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »
Sure.  I might even have the Marsilly carriage finished, and/or the Rodman and a carriage for that, too.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline NVWalt

« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
Of course there is interest in next years possible postal. Maybe by then I can figure out how to aim those little cannons I got. You know, not just a bunch of lucky shots but some well placed on purpose shots. I have to admit that I was inspired to take those little cannons I have and shoot them because of you having put this postal on.
Now when I go to my range I take them with me and run a few rounds through them.
I even take the ol GB mortar out and play with it. All fun during an extended day at the range.
 So thanks for ramrodding this years postal Mr. Dickens..................Walt

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
    You can count us in, we will make something to shoot, although I doubt that our planned,   24-Pounder Iron Seige and Garrison Howitzer Pattern 1844   will be finished by then.  We might just make the first one with a golf ball size bore in order to have something new to take to the second GBO Montana Model Cannon Club Shoot and then make a .750" bore Postal Shoot gun later.  Gary, Mike and I had lots of fun at this year's postal shoot, and that, after all, is the point of all trips to the range in our opinion.  When it comes to shooting range excursions, we are serious about Safety, not about results.  We try our best and results are what they are, but we don't worry about them at all.

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:01 AM »
Remember a match is two targets with six rounds fired at each.  Two targets!!!!
John,

I do hope you got the one target in the mail. You would not have been in last place.

I didn't bother sending the one target, because as I understood it that wouldn't qualify someone for the match. Never fear though, I'll suck it up like a man, and take last place with a smile on my face; in fact just thinking of next years shoot makes my smile grow wider. :D

Now Douglas, while I'm sure that you already know that the extent of my selfless concern for your BP supply is probably immeasurable; if, and only if the circumstance arises that some benefactor puts up a $250 prize, or one of our talented sponsors donates one of their fine pieces to be awarded as a trophy, will we have to sit down and have a serious pow wow about the practice of allowing a competitor to purchase X number of targets if he so chooses. ;)

Offline Double D

« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
Correct two targets submitted, Every one sent in two targets.  One shooter sent in two targets, one with holes one with no holes  and ended up first on handicap,

Your 43 would have been first overall and 43 (21.5) 64.5 and 1st on handicap.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #287 on: October 11, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
I'm definitely interested in the next shoot. And assuming we stick with the same targets, I already have them.

I just wrote this one off as there were too many complications and I was not cleared for machine shop work until very near the deadline. Too many other things going on to rush the P.S. gun through.

I was finally been cleared for unlimited duty, so cutting, welding, and machine work are no longer off-limits. But the backlog is enormous. No way the lathe is going to be free for the time needed to machine a cannon until at least November, maybe longer.

Offline Double D

« Reply #288 on: October 11, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »

Now Douglas, while I'm sure that you already know that the extent of my selfless concern for your BP supply is probably immeasurable; if, and only if the circumstance arises that some benefactor puts up a $250 prize, or one of our talented sponsors donates one of their fine pieces to be awarded as a trophy, will we have to sit down and have a serious pow wow about the practice of allowing a competitor to purchase X number of targets if he so chooses. ;)

One of the things I am planning on doing at the Montana shoot is a hole in one contest.  I am going to ask the Club to provides $50 pot.  Then you guys can buy 5 numbered golfballs for $10.  The $10 goes in the pot. I will borrow a flag and cup from the country club and set the pin at a par three distance.   Hole in one shares the pot with the club...proceed to go for range improvements.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Correct two targets submitted, Every one sent in two targets.  One shooter sent in two targets, one with holes one with no holes  and ended up first on handicap,

Your 43 would have been first overall and 43 (21.5) 64.5 and 1st on handicap.

Yes, but you said: "Remember a match is two targets with six rounds fired at each. Two targets!!!!", and I didn't get to shoot the second target before the deadline. Not to worry though; next year in Jerusalem is my new motto.
BTW, I had 42 total points, the 43 was counting all six shots.

Offline Double D

« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »
Correction!

Your 42 would tied with me, but would still first overall beating me  since your post mark would havebeen earlier than mine, since I didn't mail mine and had no post makr to go buy.  I am going to have to remember that for next year.  Ties goes to earliest post mark in postal match..

42 (21) 63 still 1st on handicap.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
How are you calculating the handicaps?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #292 on: October 12, 2010, 04:18:16 AM »
50- average.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
John,

I just looked at your video of your cannon shooting.  Is it a illusion or arethe wheels of your gun skidding backwards with out turning until the trial hits the stop?

I looked at the vid a few more times, and it seems to me like the wheels rotated backwards, although there's not much distance travelled before the lunette hits the backstop. One thing that I know was definitely happening was that the bolt threads sticking out on the bottom of the lunette/trail plate were gouging tracks into my unfinished shooting platform, so I'd guess that the wheels were being lifted off the board from the recoil. You'll notice that I didn't get the adjustable legs on the board yet, so I didn't get to try shooting from the ground.