Author Topic: H & R Premier automatic ejector 32 S&W long  (Read 3882 times)

Offline shooter6br

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Keep up the good fight"God bless America
H & R Premier automatic ejector 32 S&W long
« on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Have a H & R 32 S & W Long 6 shot blue #51755* Any info? Pics inclosed

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: H & R Premier automatic ejector 32 S&W long
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
What kind of info you looking for?

Nice looking little pistola.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline shooter6br

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:12:54 AM »
I have found out that that pistol model was made up to 1940.Was hoping to try to find out appox date of mamufactor

Offline throxjones2

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »
Looks almost identical to the little shooter that I just posted asking for ID info with exception that mine probably does NOT take 32 S&W longs.  My SN is 281065 which places it early.  Seller said 1895, but I do not believe that.  Good Luck, Dr. Tom Beatty,DD,BFHM

Offline Bossloper

• Trade Count: (66)
  • Contributor
  • Veteran USAF
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
I have a H&R Premier in 22 caliber and below is the info I have found about their early revolver serial numbering. I posted some pics of my 22 as well.

H&R's early use of letter codes on the Auto-Ejecting and Premier revolvers appear to be as follows:

Large Frame Auto-Ejecting 2nd Model
1890= none
1891= O (or zero)
1892/1893=A
1894/1895=B
1896/1897=C
1898/1899=D
1900/1901=E
1902/1903=F
1904/1905=G

Small Frame Premier
1895/1897= none
1898/1899= O (or zero)
1900/1904= A

Starting in 1905 serial numbers were one series going from 01 to over 700,000

Life Member NAHC, TU
NRA & Outdoor Educator
Hunter Ed. Instructor

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
I just picked up a 32 S&W top break from my gun dealer last night.  I had ordered it through Guns America.  I am really surprised with it's condition.  Looks like it just came out of the box.  Not a speck of rust or any blimishes period.  Blued finish, beautiful little gun.  Serial number starts with 57 and has six digits.  It says "32 S&W" on the right side of the barrel and "Premier" on the left side.  The grips are not enletted into the frame.  Two inch barrel and it is so tiny.  Wife snagged it saying it will fit so well in her purse.  Wife says it's too tiny for my hands.  It's a lot smaller than the other H&R 32 S&W that I bought a couple of months ago. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline shooter6br

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
I beleive the 6 shot models are for 32 S&W long. Blued models were made up to 1940 I am told. Measure the cylinder length( mine is 1.240)

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »
Just a bit of clarification:  The picture posted by the OP, is NOT a PREMIER model.  It is one of the many variants of the "AUTO EJECTING" model.  From the picture it is a later - late 1920's to early 1930's variation - stamped and catalogued as the "H&R AUTOMATIC".  The Premier is the small frame auto ejector.  It was chambered for 7 rounds of .22 s or long (after about 1930 it would also take .22 lr) and 5 rounds of .32 S&W (the short one) ONLY, through out it's life span.  The Auto Ejecting Model was the large frame and would handle 6 rounds of .32 S&W, .32 H&R Long or .32 S&W LONG, depending upon year of manufacture, 1904 and earlier were black powder ONLY.  The PREMIER mentioned above with the non-stepped grip frame is the last variation and with the serial number in the 500K range it was most likely made in the early to mid 1930s.
All H&R revolvers of these types were offered with Nickel finish or Blued.  Earliest ones, pre-1920's or so, seem to be predominantly Nickel plated - with blued finished pieces becoming more prevalent after that date.  In the 1930's, the majority seem to have been made with blued finishes.

The letter codes and dates which Bossloper listed above, is the result of research done by Bill Goforth and me, and at this time seems to fit with catalogue listings and known changes exhibited by pieces in my H&R collection.
Any questions, please ask.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector
Contributing Editor for H&R firearms to "THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES" by S. Fjestad

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »
I just love those little palm/pocket sized plinkers.
Wish some quality company would start making them again.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
Old Fart -
That indeed would be a treat...The only palm size pistols today are the little .22lr & .22mag SA revolvers - which IMHO are very difficult to shoot well.  Of the Young America and Premier .22s that I own and have shot - I prefer the Premier - reasonably accurate and just plain fun, especially the "BICYCLE" models with the 2" barrel.  For awhile, when living out in the country on a rented patch, I used to keep a blued Premier Bicylcle loaded next to the door and pop it into my back pocket or jacket pocket when going out to check on or feed the horses.  Check the auction sites - these come up for auction on a fairly regular basis and usually sell, in V.G. to Excellent condition, for less than 200 bucks.  I also like the small frame HAMMERLESS in .22 - another small fun gun.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 04:43:04 PM »
So is ammo available for the .32 S&W Long?  I see these available and think of picking one up for my Sweetie (the Ruger Security Six is too heavy), but it wouldn't be a wise investment if there is no fodder to feed it!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Winchester Super X - .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long, MagTech (Brazilian) sells .32 S&W and a .32 S&W Long loading with 98 gr. semi-jacket hollow point ammo.  There are a couple others - do a google.