Author Topic: Some Questions For The 45LC Handloaders Out There  (Read 650 times)

Offline bigbigjoe76

• Trade Count: (0)
Some Questions For The 45LC Handloaders Out There
« on: January 19, 2010, 04:54:00 AM »
Just got my 45 carbine and I know that it can't be all it can be with the standard store bought loads. I have a press and all to reload so all I need to do is buy the dies and such.

What I am wanting from this gun is to have an accurate rifle to hunt whitetail deer (90-160 lbs in my area) and ranges within 100 yds (I will be using rifle sights only).

I have the equipment to melt lead and have piles of wheel weight ingots on hand. I make all my own sinkers and such for fishing but have no knowledge of making bullets.

I won't shoot to just be shooting so I won't be needing a large amount at any given time.

I hope some of you guys would be willing to share some of your loads that would fit the bill for what I want to do with the gun.

One thing I don't understand, looking at bullets, I see a big difference in the 45 cal. bullets. They range anywhere from .451 to .454 in diameter. What size do I need to use.

Any help or info would be appreciated !!

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Re: Some Questions For The 45LC Handloaders Out There
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
.451 is for 45ACP pistol, .452 for .45LC, and .458 for 45-70 rifle. Cast usually is sized slightly. If you are not shooting just to shoot, you could try Hornady, Buffalo Bore, etc +P and +P+ ammo.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Some Questions For The 45LC Handloads Out There
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 10:56:26 AM »
I have loaded my many long colts from powerpuff loads to fire belching frame stretchers!! I do not like to post loads as mistakes so easily happen and I would truly hate for someone to be hurt with something I caused. But Ill still offer some suggestions of where you can start.

For loads Unique and Trail Boss are tops for "colt" level loads to say 900-1000fps with a  250+- grain bullet. These are best with Lead. If you want jacketed loads, IMR 4227 can make you some really efficient loads. Regular primers are the rule here.

Medium level loads say mild ruger loads. You have many powder selections. I still like IMR 4227, but 2400 is another good consideration. Regular and mag primers used here.

Heavy loads are fine in your gun, look to W296, H110 and Lil'Gun powders. Magnum primers are the rule with these loads.

For bullets, you mentioned casting your own. This is a good way to enhance the total experience knowing you built the load and the bullet! Look for a profile with a large meplat. Something like a LTB bullet is an excellent choice. I also much prefer the 300gr weight. You have already mentioned shooting to 100 yards and this weight will deliver the goods easily at these ranges. For Jacketed offerings, look at the Hornady, Sierra and Speer 300Gr slugs. I have shot game with them all, the Speers have been the softest and easiest to expand with more of a plating than a real jacket. the Sierra and Hornady seem similar to me and expand and perform well on game exactly the sizes your describing.

My guns preferred loads are pushing 300Gr slug to almost 1300fps in my 7.5" Ruger Bisley. This same load scoots along at better then 1600fps from my Marlins and Handi. Tim is posted many times about a near max load of Lil'Gun and Velocities to 1900fps. From a Handi barrel.

There are LOTS of loads out there, get yourself a good manual or two, don't worry about the pistol only listings, Start lo and work up as your shoulder permits as you likely will see this before you reach a load that too hot for the gun.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
Tim is posted many times about a near max load of Lil'Gun and Velocities to 1900fps. From a Handi barrel.

Those would be using Hodgdon Ruger/TC data for the 250gr XTP and Lil'gun, only I used the 250gr Speer GDHP and 250gr Hornady SST muzzleloader bullets, both ran just over 1900fps and 1½-2" at 100yds with a scope, 7benched. I actually loaded 1gr over max with the SST dues to loading it long to just off the lands, COL was over 1.9".

Tim

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:40:25 AM »
Wheel weights will work fine. Check out the Lee moulds, double cavity if available, they work pretty good and inexpensive.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications Tim!!

I didn't mention diameters. Wreck Dog is correct.

.451 diameter is generally a 45 ACP bullet, Not to say that you cannot use it in the 45 Colt. Jacketed

.452 diameter is generally a newer 45Colt, 454 Casull diameter. Jacketed

.454 diameter is the OLD 45 Colt diameter. Jacketed (or for a soft lead bullet diameter for the .452 barrel)

.457 diameter is a lead cap-n-ball projectile for the Ruger Old Army revolver. LEAD

.458 diameter is for the 45-70 Govt 458WM & 460 magnums. Jacketed

Lead bullets generally are sized 1-2 thousandths over bore diameter. But you experiment as hard bullets can be sized nearer std diameters. Softer bullets need the larger diameters. Make a long chamber cast of your chamber, leade and couple inches of rifling and measure to find out for sure.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
If you want to dive into the world of bullet casting, go here:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Just about everything you could want to know about casting is there.

The diameters given in several posts here are good rules of thumb.  If you want to cast accurate loads that don't lead you have to measure your own bores.  You never know until you measure.  I have had, as an example, one .357 sixgun with a .355 bore (S&W 686) and one with a .359 bore (Ruger Blackhawk).  My Smith .44 has a .432 bore.  I have .45 autos that range from .448 to .4536.  This is why many give up with cast.  You want to match bullet size with bore properly.

Cat

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »
Ideal fit is achieved in the throat of the chamber, even if it is a few 'thou larger in dia. than the groove dia. of the barrel. Finding what dia. bullet 'comfortably' fits into your fully fire-formed case neck is the beginning of real accurracy, without leading, in a cast bullet rifle.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:09 AM »
If you want to dive into the world of bullet casting, go here:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Just about everything you could want to know about casting is there.

Cat

There are some sick puppies over their! ;)