Author Topic: 30 Herret Help  (Read 350 times)

Offline Preacherman

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Contributor
30 Herret Help
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
I just got a 30 Herret barrel for my Contender,been reading about forming brass.I need help resizing the brass.I know you have to cut them to size but when I read you should try them in the barrel and size 1\16 at a time is this before or after you cut them.Also some i have already done some bullets fit tight some fall in the brass.I guess I need someone to guide thru this.
Thanks
Preacherman
Acts10:13

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 30 Herrett Help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:12:32 AM »
I formed a bunch for a friend some time back. I never have had a 30, but I have had a 357 Herrett and sizing is a "science" Not terribly difficult, you just need to get the knack of it.

I never trimmed first? I don't know how you could as the case "grows" are you size them... I trimmed them after running thru the die with a dremel tool, then finished the AOL on my Lyman power trimmer.

I never fiddled with annealing for this caliber, but used new or once fired brass. New yielded the least "casualties".

Search Bob Milek or Steve Herrett on line and you should have many hours of good reading on the subject.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Preacherman

• Contributor
Re: 30 Herret Help
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
Thats what i done but they just drop in the chamber all I have read they will start out tight then size them a little at a time till they fit snug.I had my die backed out where about half of the case was not going in the die still had a loose fit.I loaded and shot them seemed to work fine no signs of any problems.
Thanks Preacherman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
Like I said, I only ever made the cases for the 30.

In my 357 Herrett, I would form identically, then load with a long bullet seated so it was into the rifling. then firmy closed. (Appropriate loads used) This was you are fire forming the brass for a perfect fit to your guns chamber. the 30 doesn't have the head space shoulder problems that the 357 does. But this process should work just as well for you.

Also, its likely a good thing to turn your necks to a uniform thickness.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STexhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
I used the 30 Herrett a bunch for Metallic Silhouette shooting.  Never had any problem making rounds out of 30/30 brass.  Just full length resized in a 30 Herrett die, then trimmed to 1.605, loaded her up with my silhouette load and fire formed.  After fire forming I never full length resized, just neck sized you don't want to move the shoulder back and change headspace.  A properly made round will form a tight fit in the chamber and will require a snap of the action to close on a new case.  Good luck a let us know.  

Offline Preacherman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:56:50 PM »
Sized my first brass got 12 keepers out of 20.The others have big dents in the shoulders from too much lube, going to stick with Lee white lube from now on cut them with Dremel stuck in a washer cut then trimmed with a 6.8 spc lee trimmer held with a tubing flaring vice (crude but it works) have to wait on bullets spent bullet money on a Swift scope  for the rig.Thanks for the advice.
Precherman
ACTS 10:13

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »
Quote from: Preacher Man link=topic=196504.msg 1099005358#msg 1099005358 date=1264215410
Sized my first brass got 12 keepers out of 20.The others have big dents in the shoulders from too much lube, going to stick with Lee white lube from now on cut them with Dremel stuck in a washer cut then trimmed with a 6.8 spc lee trimmer held with a tubing flaring vice (crude but it works) have to wait on bullets spent bullet money on a Swift scope  for the rig.Thanks for the advice.
Preacher Man
ACTS 10:13

Keep at it!! Forming can be troublesome until you get the knack. Lucky 30-30's are plentiful. Remember, range brass makes POOR fodder for reforming as you have no idea its history. New will form best, once fired is second best.

My hardest brass to form was for the 256 mag. LOTS of wasted brass making those!! Eventually I got the hang of it and lost only a few.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:23 PM »
Preacherman

You might want to invest in a rcbs form/trim die.
I start with a hacksaw blade on a freshly full length sized case,and switch to a file afterwards.Even with range brass it seems to work fine for me,Without too many scrapped cases.
I use this method on 30 Herret and 357 Herret cases.Less effort for me.

Alan4620