Author Topic: Filler  (Read 414 times)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Filler
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:13:29 AM »
How many of you handloaders use some type of filler when loading less than a casefull of powder.  Example- A mild load 5744 [25 grains] in the 45-70 leaves quite a bit of air space. If you use a filler,what do you use and does it affect accuracy?

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Filler
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:23:12 AM »
I don't use a filler with AA5744 in the 45-70 but I do use a felt wad over the powder with IMR4227 loads.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:10 AM »
I use a filler with all my 45-120 loads so far.   8)

I clocked a 45-70 load for a friend here using 2400 and 350 gr. bullets.  Loaded some with a filler for the sake of comparison but didn't really need to.   ;)

I'm not a big fan of reduced loads using powders not made for reduced loads.   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
tobster

I've loaded 1000's of 45/70 with as little as 12g of Unique as well as Trail Boss and no filler , NEVER had a problem even when walking with the muzzle pointed down , no squib shots or hang-fires .

Both those loads only fill about the bottom 3/8" of the case , ran both over the Chrono and found very low SD from shot to shot also .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Dill45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:26:57 PM »
tobster

I've loaded 1000's of 45/70 with as little as 12g of Unique as well as Trail Boss and no filler , NEVER had a problem even when walking with the muzzle pointed down , no squib shots or hang-fires .

Both those loads only fill about the bottom 3/8" of the case , ran both over the Chrono and found very low SD from shot to shot also .

stimpy

Not meaning to question you, but isn't the point of Trail Boss that you can use a light load and it will fill the whole case up?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
Dill45

When IMR came out with Trail Boss it was designed for CAS shooting using rounds like the 38 spl and 45LC , were it did fill or almost fill those small cases , less chance of a double charge in the older guns , they later found that it would also do very well in rounds like the 45/70 .

Looking at the Hodgdon's web site , they list a max load of 13g ( Trapdoor Level ) at just over 1000 fps for a 405g cast bullet , my Handi rifle does about 100 fps more with that load .

The point being , why use a whole case full of powder like Varget to only gain 700 fps if you don't need to . ( 50g Varget - Max trapdoor load = 1700 fps )

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
I use a foam wad cut from those thin foam trays you get meat in at the super market.  A fired brass cuts them just the right size to fit in a resized case.  I slide it down onto the powder in low volume cases.  For one thing, it confirms you have not double charged the case.  Secondly, it keeps the powder near the primer and gives a little better SD.  It works for me.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Dill45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
Dill45

When IMR came out with Trail Boss it was designed for CAS shooting using rounds like the 38 spl and 45LC , were it did fill or almost fill those small cases , less chance of a double charge in the older guns , they later found that it would also do very well in rounds like the 45/70 .

Looking at the Hodgdon's web site , they list a max load of 13g ( Trapdoor Level ) at just over 1000 fps for a 405g cast bullet , my Handi rifle does about 100 fps more with that load .

The point being , why use a whole case full of powder like Varget to only gain 700 fps if you don't need to . ( 50g Varget - Max trapdoor load = 1700 fps )

stimpy

Yeah I use it in my 45-70 as well.  But the 13gr's is at least 1/2 to 3/4's full lol.  Oh well.

I really like the powder nonetheless, I've some of my most accurate loads ever come from it.

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
If you are only concerned about AA5744, no filler is needed with this powder.  It does help to use a mag primer with it though.